aberdeen-music

The Hip Hop Thread

Lemonade

Guest Tam o' Shantie
The reason nobody answered it was because it wasn't worth answering.

Checked out any more MF DOOM/Metal Fingers/King Geedorah/DOOM/Viktor Vaughn stuff yet?

nope, but since last posting I have bought the following

- LL Cool J - all world (1996 greatest hits, most of the classics, nae bad)

- redman/method man - blackout! (not bad on first few listens but not the incredible classic I was hoping for ,that people had made it out to be - maybe it's a grower)

- KRS-One - return of the boom bap (not bad, not blowing my mind though...guess 1993's beats were a little bit precursive to the serious 95-98 heavy boom bap sound)

- eric B and rakim - paid in full (yes I have only just bought it, no it's not the first time i've heard it, it's mediocre and i don't have a problem saying that. rakim's skills might have been revolutionary at the time but the album has NOT aged well, the production is weak & corny despite what most will tell you and by comparison the stuff that BDP/ultramag were putting out around the same time still sounds classic to me today)

- intelligent hoodlum - intelligent hoodlum/tragedy saga of a hoodlum (2 early albums in a double cd from intelligent hoodlum later AKA tragedy khadafi...all of the trag stuff i have heard is on point and I was hoping these early works would be more of the same, unfortunately it's pretty amateurish by comparison, a few good tunes thanks to production from marley marl (trag was a young member of the juice crew) young mobb deep appear at one point and so does craig G...despite not being credited! overall, as with most rap albums with close to 20 tracks each...a fairly large proportion of it is garbage...i would recommend a download if you can find it but wouldn't spend a tenner on it myself)

I had purchased the 90s sessions by godfather don but got refunded as it was no longer in stock...now i can't find it anywhere

also waiting for DJ muggs first 'assassins' album, lots of hot collaborations on that one, can't wait for it to arrive!

Guest Giles Walker

Tom you are so ghey for PF Cutting it is almost touching, you guys should have a bromance or something.

I would spark in with my opinion on what the best rap album is but i am just about to start moving about 2-3000 rap records out of my room so my landlord can carpet it. Hip hop ain't my friend right now, although i will say that Nice and Smooth rocked many a dancefloor for me when you could play throwback rap sets to full dancefloors.

"my rhymes are stronger than ammonia, i'm a diamond you're a cuic zirconia" or even "Dizzy Gillespie plays the sax me myself i love to max"

Not that it matters a jot now that hip hop is dead, we might as well talk about our fave big beat songs or goa trance records...

just realised that nobody had actually responded to this question. categorically no...and nobody with any serious interest in hip hop would think twice about telling you that.

jay's albums almost entirely suck in my experience, puff daddy sounding bullshit, save for the 2-3 underground joints on each of the earlier ones. even reasonable doubt is weak in my opinion.

I don't think you can call anyone's opinions here "categorical". I know a few people with a vested interest in rap and hip hop who would argue the Blackout is up there. It's not my own personal opinion- though I enjoy it- but there are people who like it. I don't think you could compare P.Diddy to Jay-Z in any great deal musically, not in my eyes.

I don't know a lot about this genre and I'm wanting to expand my horizons a bit. The Jay-Z comment was merely a jump off point. And 62 posts of (mostly) unfamiliar names being recommended later, I think it worked quite well.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

this week I have bought Jay-Z's black album, DJ Spinna - heavy beats vol 1, muggs presents soul assasins and of course '...cuban linx II'

unfortunately the first three have taken a back seat while I focus all of my listening energy on raekwon's effort. now on my 4th listen or so, at the 'i'll listen to these 4 songs in a row' stage, favourite has to be new wu...i think method man has a different verse than the one in the promo video or something, he absolutely kills it and the song as a whole is amazing on this album.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

- intelligent hoodlum - intelligent hoodlum/tragedy saga of a hoodlum (2 early albums in a double cd from intelligent hoodlum later AKA tragedy khadafi...all of the trag stuff i have heard is on point and I was hoping these early works would be more of the same, unfortunately it's pretty amateurish by comparison, a few good tunes thanks to production from marley marl (trag was a young member of the juice crew) young mobb deep appear at one point and so does craig G...despite not being credited! overall, as with most rap albums with close to 20 tracks each...a fairly large proportion of it is garbage...i would recommend a download if you can find it but wouldn't spend a tenner on it myself)

having given the 2nd album on this double disc set more of a chance, it's actually pretty good. the highlight is still 'live and direct from the house of hits' with mr G though.

I like this thread so i'm going to chuck seventeen into the mixture

Del tha Funkee Homosapien - I wish my brother George was here - A very slow softish chilled out rap/hip hop

A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders - A slightly faster paced unintimidating chilled out rap/hip hop with less explicitness

Hilltop Hoods - The Calling - Cheery Rap/Reggae - perfect for grinding some up to, jam some on and its bmx heaven, look for the songs nosebleed section and workin the mic on youtube, sublime

I like this thread so i'm going to chuck seventeen into the mixture

Del tha Funkee Homosapien - I wish my brother George was here - A very slow softish chilled out rap/hip hop

A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders - A slightly faster paced unintimidating chilled out rap/hip hop with less explicitness

Two classics. Absolutely love Del; he's just so much to listen to. Mistadobalina is awesome.

Is anyone into experimental rap? I've been checking out Themselves recently (Doseone on MC duties and Jel on production). They're pretty interesting - not always good, but sometimes brilliant. Totally unorthodox beats and flow. Kinda backpack-ish at points which isn't really my thing, and the albums got Buck 65 on it (yuck), but still. It's alright.

Cypress Hill are also too good, del la soul too as old gold said, Actually i think rap/hip hop if done correctly can be nutcrunchingly awaking.

Just think of rap as limericks

There once was a man with two disks

who didnt like music from misc

with his disk he did mix

something as good as his fix

lest in heaven now he rest

then you can go for the gangsta

searchin for my gun, just to make her cum

better run, ho, ill stick it in yer bum

you stink of bo, you dirty ho

i think ill fuck your sister mo

The problem with hiphop being that the record companies makes their artists do completely shit music because that's all they know how to sell. I saw Pharoahe Monch live with three backup singers and he/they were absolutely fucking amazing but the actual records he's known for like Simon Says aren't very good at all. I also went to a Def Jux show with Cage, Copyright, El P, Mr Lif and RJD2 which was ace, but more of yer nerd-hop end of the scale.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
The problem with hiphop being that the record companies makes their artists do completely shit music because that's all they know how to sell. I saw Pharoahe Monch live with three backup singers and he/they were absolutely fucking amazing but the actual records he's known for like Simon Says aren't very good at all. I also went to a Def Jux show with Cage, Copyright, El P, Mr Lif and RJD2 which was ace, but more of yer nerd-hop end of the scale.

Are you kidding? What's not to like about Simon Says?

Monchichi's output has always been pretty good in my experience but I don't have any of his actual albums.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
It's really boring and also quite irritating.

man, i love it! don't spin it these days (who am i kidding, i don't spin anything these days...although i'll have a sloppy mini mix up soon) but it used to be a staple of my sets. the definition of boom-bap!

Guest Tam o' Shantie
I don't think you could compare P.Diddy to Jay-Z in any great deal musically, not in my eyes.

Puff Daddy executive-produced 'In My Lifetime Vol. 1' & The Hitmen (Bad Boy's in-house production team at the time) produced beats for both of his first albums.