aberdeen-music

The Hip Hop Thread

Lemonade

If you fancy some older skooool and probably not as cool as those already mentioned, Run DMC's 'Raising Hell' and Tone Loc's 'Loc'd After Dark' are pretty ace.

And Beastie Boys 'Check Your Head', 'Paul's Boutique' and 'Ill Communication'.

And Public Enemy 'It Takes A Nation Of Millions...' and 'Fear of a Black Planet'.

And NWA 'Straight Outta Compton' album and '100 Miles and Runnin'' single.

If you fancy some older skooool and probably not as cool as those already mentioned, Run DMC's 'Raising Hell' and Tone Loc's 'Loc'd After Dark' are pretty ace.

And Public Enemy 'It Takes A Nation Of Millions...' and 'Fear of a Black Planet'.

'Fear of a Black Planet' and 'Straight Outta Compton' are essential.

That's a MUST have.

Also, Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein. Fucking incredible.

YouTube - ‪Cannibal Ox - Iron Galaxy‬‎

So true. The 'hit' Iron Galaxy is fantastic. Cann Ox is dark though, very El-P sounding beats. Vast Aire's verse is so good.

If you dig the dark stuff you can dig out El-P's solo stuff. The rapping/lyrics isn't anywhere as good, but some of the beats are insane - DeLorian feat. Aesop Rock is great.

If you like crazy metaphors that you prolly won't get and sick flow Aesop Rock is your man. None Shall Pass is a really good album, probably most accessible, but Labor Days is pretty much one of the defining Underground Hip Hop records of the noughties.

Some more:

Non-Prophets - Hope

It's Sage Francis doing stuff a bit more light hearted than his solo moniker, with much more organic beats from the excellent Joe Beats

Army Of The Pharoahs - The Torture Papers

Angry. Vinnie Paz will shoot the fuck out of you

Immortal Technique - 3rd World

More anger. This guy doesn't care a jot about you.

Binary Star - Masters of the Universe

Similar to Jurassic 5. Rapping about how good they are at rapping.

Gonna delve into this. I've listened to to the non-prophets album, but wasn't that big on it. Prefer Sage's solo stuff. That song 'Crack Pipes' is great.

Crucial!

Nobody seems to recommend Slug or Atmosphere - but I think this is really good. Bluesy, white boy rap.

Slug Live the second song at 3:15 is better, but they are both good

Living Legends feat. Slug.

I've been listening to some grime recently and I dig this. Basically rapping over commercial dubstep:

P-Money - Slang Like This (Prod by Sukh Knight)

If you like crazy metaphors that you prolly won't get and sick flow Aesop Rock is your man. None Shall Pass is a really good album, probably most accessible, but Labor Days is pretty much one of the defining Underground Hip Hop records of the noughties.

I knew there was someone else on here who was into Aes :). Fantastic artist. Definitely no the most accessible rapper in the world, but Labor Days is one of my favourite albums. Thick, dense production and ridiculous metaphors. He doesn't sound corny either, which is quite rare for white rappers.

Atmosphere are worth a listen. They're incredibly easy to get into and the first group I got into when I was starting to explore the genre. I think that their latest album ("When Life Gives You Lemons...") is probably their best.

GZA's "Liquid Swords" is seminal and possibly the best album to emerge from the Wu-Tang stable but probably not the most exciting album for the casual listener. It should be law for anyone who's into hip-hop to own a copy of Dead Prez's "Let's Get Free", too. It's right good.

Will restrict myself to just 10 links.

Mantronix - King of the Beats

- Personal favourite from this seminal 80s crew. Amen break is more associated with DnB but it was in use before '92.

Eric B & Rakim - Follow the Leader

- Rakim is generally considered one of the best MCs of all time; this sort of thing is why.

Schoolly D - Saturday Night

YouTube - ‪Schoolly D - Saturday Night‬‎

- If you've seen King of New York then you will have seen Christopher Walken smoke up and dance to this track. D's a somewhat forgotten pioneer of gangsta rap.

Fu-Schnickens - Ring the Alarm

- Hiphop and dancehall - a natural marriage. This track, however, is more or less just Jamaican-accented hip hop with a Tenor Saw sample, though.

WC & the Maad Circle - Ain't a Damn Thang Changed

- Superhot. And yes, it is indeed that Coolio.

UGK - One Day

YouTube - ‪UGK - One Day‬‎

- For those among us who still think gangsta rap is nothing but bragging and posturing; this is heartbreaking stuff.

J Dilla - Think Twice

YouTube - ‪Jay Dee Think Twice‬‎

- Smooth stuff from his first solo. If you're even remotely serious about an interest in hip hop, buy his album Donuts.

MC Solaar - A dix de mes disciples

YouTube - ‪MC Solaar - A Dix De Mes Disciples - Prose Combat‬‎

- Someone else mentioned hiphop en francais - even if you have no knowledge of French you can still enjoy the flow and the fantastic production.

London Posse - Money Mad

YouTube - ‪london posse-money mad‬‎

- And now for the UK. Great riddim holding this one up, great rapping. A lot of early 90s UK hiphop was just Public Enemy imitations of varying quality, but this is different.

Juvenile - Back That Ass Up

- I imagine this won't be so well received as some of the other tracks...but Cash Money was really strong at this time, and 400 Degreez is a classic album. Mannie Fresh = underrated producer.

Hope these are of some interest. If you say which ones you like, I can offer some album recommendations based on that.

Guest Gladstone

Personally, I'm all about '90's east coast hip-hop. The three pillars of that movement are "Illmatic" by Nas, "36 Chambers" by Wu-Tang Clan, and "Ready to Die" by the Notorious B.I.G. All of them are classics.

Fuck that man. West Coast 'til I die.

RIP Charizma

perfect to chill to

Funky

radiohead hiphop remix, i think this is ace

YouTube - ‪UNKLE - UNKLE (Main Title Theme)‬‎

YouTube - ‪aim - aberdeen‬‎ not sure its hiphop his other stuff is awesome too, some of the best british music out there.

YouTube - ‪Aim - Cold Water Music‬‎ give it a chance to kick in

samples from halloween 2

one of the best tracks off the album, cold water music

Big Boi - Sir Luscious Left Foot.... is one of the top 5 albums of the year.

YouTube - ‪Big Boi Ft. Gucci Mane - Shine Blockas (Official Video)‬‎

YouTube - ‪Big Boi Ft Andre 3000 - Looking For Ya [HD]‬‎

Other fave hip-hop albums recently have been Mos Def - Black on Both Sides

YouTube - ‪Mos Def Mathematics‬‎

and Madvillian - Madvilliany

I'll support all the recommendations of De La Soul, Tribe called quest, Nas and Public Enemy

A few people have mentioned Wu Tang Clan and/or solo members but I haven't seen a mention for my favourite of the group, Supreme Clientele by Ghostface

Oh and anyone said Beasite Boys - Paul's Boutique? Essential stuff

Second the Cannibal Ox album, awesome.

I hate mysogynistic twats that aren't Kool Keith, so my list is...

Quannum -Spectrum. My fave Lp of '99, ace collaborative Solesides action, Storm Warning is truly astoundingly progressive Hip Hop

Dr Octagon- Dr Octagon orThe Ecologyst or Dr Octagynaecologyst-1st album-whatever its really called

Mind blowing forward thinking hysterically funny is just the beginning-features the only lyric about putting frogs in a commode I've ever heard.

Mo Wax 'Headz' comp, its Hip Hop, not Rap, its head expanding, sink into the core of the dusty beat.

Eric B and Rakim- Paid in Full. Surely almost everyones heard this, almost the perfect bassline. YouTube - ‪Paid In Full - Eric B. & Rakim‬‎

Latyrx- Latyrx The Album- I just love the humanity in the voices of Lateef and Lyrics Born, characterful.YouTube - ‪Latyrx - Lady Don't Tek No‬‎, and speakin of Lyrics Born, his debut solo album 'Later that Day' is also pretty warmly great.

plus DJ Krush, DJ Vadim, and much vintage Mo Wax/Ninja Tune.

I'd also suggest Guru's Jazzmataz series of albums, and his Streetsoul album. Great hip-hop played by some jazz legends. Really smooth, mellow stuff.

Might also be worth checking out some of the music behind hip-hop. I'd recommend The Chi-Lites (you'll be amazed how many of their songs you'll recognize), Gil Scott Heron, Curtis Mayfield and Marvin Gaye.

There's also The Pimpz of Change who are worth listening to, despite not ever having any material written or recorded.

Guest Giles Walker

I've been on a bit of an American hip hop binge recently, figure i might as well share.

Earl Sweatshirt - EARL

The Rangers - Go Hard

Turf Talk ft E40 - I Got Chips

Tom should weigh in here as well, some of the beatsy stuff he has been listening to lately would appeal to fans of dilla.

Although i personally think that most people who say they like Jaydee, just prefer agreeing with Pitchfork/Wire/common opinion rather than making their own minds up.

Also Ricochet should get some Grime links up, i'll start for him.