aberdeen-music

Spotify Recommendations Thread

framheim

The Special Goodness – Natural

The Special Goodness have a new album. For those not in the know, it's Pat from Weezer. Y'know, the cool one. It used to be him and Atom Willard, but it's just Pat doing everything now. Their album Land Air Sea is the BOMB. Then 9 years of nothing, and now this. YEAH! Even if it's nowhere near as good as Land Air Sea, it's still guaranteed to be 1000% better than anything Weezer have done after Maladroit. I'm a few tracks in, and there's no shit rap songs or songs about being a badass doing drugs.

Sounds good so far. Definitely more of a 'studio' album. Lots of neat production stuff going on, where as Land Air Sea sounds a bit more stripped back and ambient.

This is great, love his drumming and the sound he gets from them, love the guitar tone too... this actually sounds like it couldve been released around the same time as Pinkerton. Really good.

I agree. The tone of everything is really good. I think some of the drums sound programmed too, but I love that sound. I love the guitar ton on Land Air Sea too. Sounds like glassy Strat tone, but it's so thick. That album has more riffs and hooks, but this seems a bit more of a grower. There's quite alot going on. That fuzzy bass makes everything seem so dense. Digging it!

• 2 weeks later...
http://open.spotify.com/album/4MTlkJJ3bbZmv9e21EHl3L

Kinda a blend of aphex twin and Brian eno. Tasty ambient beats with soft pads behind them and some of the most reverb-y and delayed guitars. All the songs almost blend into one huge piece. Really interesting. It's got awesome artwork too!

You should check out the stuff he does under his own name (Rafael Anton Irissari). More neo-classical/piano-based.

I probably prefer The Sight Below overall. Physical copies of his releases are frustratingly expensive (or were last time I checked). And the vinyl pressings of 'Glider' were hella pricey. :(

You should check out the stuff he does under his own name (Rafael Anton Irissari). More neo-classical/piano-based.

I probably prefer The Sight Below overall. Physical copies of his releases are frustratingly expensive (or were last time I checked). And the vinyl pressings of 'Glider' were hella pricey. :(

Glider on vinyl goes for stupid amounts of money. The material he releases under his own name is pretty good but I'm with you on preferring The Sight Below.

Edited by flights

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Is anyone finding Spotify a bit of pain since it updated? It looks a bit weird, but I find it all a bit clunky and slow now. Don't understand why the middle bit is all light and grey either, when every other part of it is dark. Looks like a bit of a mismatch.

I don't like how I have to pick who I follow now. Before, it just automatically followed anyone who I'm friends with on Facebook who uses Spotify.

Boo-urns.

I've got shithot fast fibreoptic, but the program itself is clunky. My connection bares no effect on that. Before the update, it was slick and simple. Something that searches for and plays songs doesn't need to be overly complex. The old lay out worked for the past 3 years. Why change to something that looks horrid and is buggy? Sort it out, Spotify.

• 3 weeks later...