aberdeen-music

Gear that you want

Pwoper (sic) bands with a mod/tunes/swagger vibe.

That and the banging on about Voxes makes me think of Ocean Colour Scene and Hurricane #1 covers. Gads....

Sort of, I liked the sound and tone you get from vox amps. There's no change of pushing metal towards it, I know that the amp would just vomit!

Those were my actual words... I'm a tosspot, a very nice tosspot!

Thanks for the advice! When you say it's better if the person has changed the valves, is that so it's 'fresher' and I could break it in more?

I'm thinking of the Vox AC15 for it's portability and price range, then I like the idea of dual speakers in the AC30. I guess you need the extra speaker because 30 watts through one amp speaker doesn't sound too... Healthy?

Nah man my hotrod deluxe is a 40 watt valve amp with a single speaker and sounds great, I've only ever owned one valve amp with a twin speaker (Marshall TSL602 combo) and sold it. Just for the record I am in no way saying that 1 speaker is better than 2; I mean that in the context of the situation I found an amp I liked better that only had one speaker, and was more suitable to the sound I was trying to achieve.

And the whole valve thing is that your amp power is driven by the valves, and that like a light bulb for example, they have a life span and will run out. Obviously the newer they are the longer this will take to happen, so if they've been replaced then it'll be ages before you have to do this yourself (certainly if they have used half decent ones anyway). If you notice a loss of volume (this will be obvious to you once you've played through the amp a fair bit) then it's likely to be a valve or multiple valves needing changed out, and if this does happen it is generally considered best practice to change the whole set despite it being rather costly, and again this will depend on the amp you go for. Although if you do decide to change the tubes individually you can recognise the duds as ones that don't light up, and under no circumstances try to change them when the amp is still hot as you'll probably kill yourself. There's a lot to consider when buying a valve amp and these are just a couple of things you have to be aware of as an owner of one. Sorry to go off on a tangent, but these are things I learned the hard way and would have appreciated to know before buying my first tube amp. The benefits are second to none though.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I kind of want to be able to play noise/samples in between songs at gigs. This stops me from speaking utter shite. Wondering about the best/cheapest way to go about it. Was thinking something as simple as having a massive long collection of noisey samples on an mp3 player which I hook up to a volume pedal and plug into the second input of my guitar head. Anyone have better ideas, since I'm clueless?

We use a digitech Jamman looper, for exactly the same thing.

Load in a ton of samples via USB and then it sits in Phil's pedalchain. You can run it into the PA or into the amp on the same signal chain as the guitar.

You could do it with an MP3 player, might be cool as it would be a lot more random as to what was playing when each song finished - be just as cheap to buy a Jamman or RC-2/3 as a volume pedal though, Any looper that has a memory card or usb would work fine.