aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

This will be the only chance an average player like Charlie Adam will ever get to play for Liverpool. Are the scousers so desperate their transfer targets amount to good championship players who've had half a decent season in the Premier League? Evidently yes!

Yeah Liverpool are a big club, but I really don't see them having much success in the coming years. I don't see what the big attraction to sign for them would be.

On another forum I read this description of Charlie Adam -

Adams looks like an ex pro in the semi pro leagues, glimpses of magic, but an unfit pisshead

Pretty on the money I think.

It would be good money for Blackpool which could be useful in strengthening ahead of that difficult second season. But if Adam continues to impress people they should be able to get decent money in the summer too. I feel Holloway does genuinely believe 4m is way too low though. As said above it's hard to see a player staying anywhere too long once he's decided he wants to go.

It's always a gamble. I think Holloway would probably prefer to keep him for the sake of stability but if he's kicking up a fuss it's not worth it, especially from your captain.

His good form really seems to just be that can pass the ball well and he's been doing it. He's scored 4 goals I think 3 of which were pens and he has 4 assists too. It's not like he's done anything really amazing. Blackpool have been great for the way they've played as a team not because of one or two individuals.

Charlie Adam will struggle in a well-drilled, tight unit of a team. Blackpool are great to watch but you notice that they have very little structure. It seems like they are constantly hanging on for dear life. A player like Adam, who has an eye for a pass, is technically very good but lacks much discipline and positional sense can thrive in a team like Blackpool where he can roam where he wants and go hell for leather no matter who the opposition are. Put him into a Liverpool side where the positions and roles are well defined and he'll quickly look average. Can't imagine him playing well after being asked to man mark Fabregas for an entire game for example. I'm sure Holloway's tactical speeches consist of 'go out there lads and give it laldy'. or the bristol equivalent of 'laldy' anyway.

It's always a gamble. I think Holloway would probably prefer to keep him for the sake of stability but if he's kicking up a fuss it's not worth it, especially from your captain.

His good form really seems to just be that can pass the ball well and he's been doing it. He's scored 4 goals I think 3 of which were pens and he has 4 assists too. It's not like he's done anything really amazing. Blackpool have been great for the way they've played as a team not because of one or two individuals.

Totally spot on. Thing is a move for Adam could seriously backfire on him. Nobody expects anything out of Blackpool and under Holloway's leadership they've done incredible as a team. Holloway might get rid cos a moaning 'I want to move to a bigger club' want away player might damage team morale. I reckon he's just holding out for a bit more cash for the player.

Blackpool are great to watch but you notice that they have very little structure. It seems like they are constantly hanging on for dear life. A player like Adam, who has an eye for a pass, is technically very good but lacks much discipline and positional sense can thrive in a team like Blackpool where he can roam where he wants and go hell for leather no matter who the opposition are. Put him into a Liverpool side where the positions and roles are well defined and he'll quickly look average.

Just for the purposes of debate, I recently read this article about the structure of Blackpool's team. Note the comments on Adam's role and how it's changing..

The whole blog is an interesting read, though the articles are rather hefty.

Just for the purposes of debate, I recently read this article about the structure of Blackpool's team. Note the comments on Adam's role and how it's changing..

The whole blog is an interesting read, though the articles are rather hefty.

Yeah... well... that's just words.

good read indeed. I would definitely argue however that Holloway doesn't have the tactical nous to deal with certain situations, whereas the top teams/managers have a formation to suit whoever they're playing against. To the eye his team only seem to play one way and that's 'baws oot'. They've never managed to shut up shop after going a goal up for instance.

BBC Sport - Football - Blackpool's Charlie Adam submits transfer request

"Charlie loves this club and just because he puts a transfer request in doesn't change that."

That just doesn't make sense. I love this club but instead of staying here until the end of the season to ensure we stay in the premier league I'll go and play for one of our richer rivals instead. That ain't love baby.

By publically handing in a request, he makes other clubs aware that he wants away, and they can lowball Blackpool a little with the proposed fee, instead of paying over the odds to pry away a prized asset. One love.

Guest Gladstone

Have to hold my hands up and say I've not seen much of Adam for Blackpool, but have been reading all sorts of wonderful reports about him.

The one real insight I got into him was the Scotland v Spain game. I think it was McCulloch who was playing as the holding midfielder in the first half and we were getting turned over because we couldn't get near them, and it doesn't help that McCulloch doesn't have much in the way of composure. Adam completely changed the game when he came on. He was level-headed and always seemed to find space, and picked out some wonderful passes. Confidence bred through the team and we gave the world champs a real game instead of just bending over and taking it up the hooper.

I think he could slot in pretty well in a Liverpool team. He doesn't seem to me to be the type of player to roam about all over the place and want to get forward at all opportunities. He's pretty lazy, so seems quite happy to stroll about in front of the defence, spraying passes about. That would work very well for Liverpool, and would let Gerrard play as the other centre midfielder knowing that Adam was sitting behind him almost all the time. Much in the same way as Alonso used to.

I think some people's view of Charlie Adam is being skewed by the fact that he's a mink that used to play for Rangers. I always thought he was massively over-rated at Rangers, but the culture in a place like Rangers would not have helped him. He has to really stick to the task to keep getting a game in the Premiership and from what I've heard his performances have been top notch. He was always played out of position for Rangers. Normally out on the left, probably because he's left-footed. He always had a good cross on him, and some nice touches etc. but absolutely zero desire to go past a full back.

Have to hold my hands up and say I've not seen much of Adam for Blackpool, but have been reading all sorts of wonderful reports about him.

The one real insight I got into him was the Scotland v Spain game. I think it was McCulloch who was playing as the holding midfielder in the first half and we were getting turned over because we couldn't get near them, and it doesn't help that McCulloch doesn't have much in the way of composure. Adam completely changed the game when he came on. He was level-headed and always seemed to find space, and picked out some wonderful passes. Confidence bred through the team and we gave the world champs a real game instead of just bending over and taking it up the hooper.

I think he could slot in pretty well in a Liverpool team. He doesn't seem to me to be the type of player to roam about all over the place and want to get forward at all opportunities. He's pretty lazy, so seems quite happy to stroll about in front of the defence, spraying passes about. That would work very well for Liverpool, and would let Gerrard play as the other centre midfielder knowing that Adam was sitting behind him almost all the time. Much in the same way as Alonso used to.

I think some people's view of Charlie Adam is being skewed by the fact that he's a mink that used to play for Rangers. I always thought he was massively over-rated at Rangers, but the culture in a place like Rangers would not have helped him. He has to really stick to the task to keep getting a game in the Premiership and from what I've heard his performances have been top notch. He was always played out of position for Rangers. Normally out on the left, probably because he's left-footed. He always had a good cross on him, and some nice touches etc. but absolutely zero desire to go past a full back.

Not sure it's accurate that Adam is lazy? Is he not known for being quite industrious these days? I agree he did very well in the Spain game and is obviously a good player but has only done the business over a championship season and half a season in the premier league.

Guest Gladstone
Not sure it's accurate that Adam is lazy? Is he not known for being quite industrious these days? I agree he did very well in the Spain game and is obviously a good player but has only done the business over a championship season and half a season in the premier league.

Well - maybe not. He was lazy in a Rangers shirt. I've not seen much of him for Blackpool, but mainly assessing his performance against Spain. He barely left the centre circle, but it was very effective.

I think sluggishness is often confused with being lazy. Charlie Adam is technically quite good, has a good range of passing and is good at set pieces, but is slow (hence his failure to shine on the wing for Rangers) and quite cumbersome, I think.

IMO he's found his level at a bottom-half Premier League side, and if he signs for Liverpool, I can see him warming the bench for a season or two before moving to the likes of Blackburn or Birmingham. As much as he is a little (fat) mink, for Scotland reasons I would like to see him do well at a big club, I just don't see it happening.

And he is not worth more than 5 million, that's for sure.

Guest Gladstone
I think sluggishness is often confused with being lazy. Charlie Adam is technically quite good, has a good range of passing and is good at set pieces, but is slow (hence his failure to shine on the wing for Rangers) and quite cumbersome, I think.

IMO he's found his level at a bottom-half Premier League side, and if he signs for Liverpool, I can see him warming the bench for a season or two before moving to the likes of Blackburn or Birmingham. As much as he is a little (fat) mink, for Scotland reasons I would like to see him do well at a big club, I just don't see it happening.

And he is not worth more than 5 million, that's for sure.

Not worth more than 5million in the real world, but in the crazy world of the Premier League, I wouldn't accept less than 5million for my star player. Alonso is obviously a much better player than Charlie Adam, but he went for 30million.

A player is worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay for him. If Liverpool have got a real need for a player like Adam, which I think they do, and they think Adam is good enough, then they will probably be willing to pay over 5million.

Not worth more than 5million in the real world, but in the crazy world of the Premier League, I wouldn't accept less than 5million for my star player. Alonso is obviously a much better player than Charlie Adam, but he went for 30million.

A player is worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay for him. If Liverpool have got a real need for a player like Adam, which I think they do, and they think Adam is good enough, then they will probably be willing to pay over 5million.

Hopfully not though:

BBC Sport - Football - Charlie Adam switch would boost Rangers' coffers

Fuck Charlie Adam. Luke Varney is the best player at Cesspool anyway.

Nooooo DJ Campbell is :up:

A sign of where my club is in football right now we are 8/1 to beat the Man City of the BSP, Crawley Town tonight or 4/1 the draw. The reality is I could be listening to us getting raped by five or six....