aberdeen-music

What's your favourite film of all time?

Lemonade

And why do you love it?

There are many, many contenders to the throne of my favourite film, but the one that's stuck with me my entire life, (being one of the first films I ever saw) - Ghostbusters. I can still quite happilly sit and watch Ghostbusters despite being almost thirty, and being able to quote it almost word for word. I love Bill Murray's wisecracks, Dan Aykroyd's childlike innocence, and Harold Ramis' deadpanning.

Not saying it's the best film ever made, but it's the film that I enjoy watching most of all. :up:

Also this might be the best picture ever.

ghostbusters-music-video.gif

Oldboy is probably the best film I've watched so far. Saw it in the tiny Belmont screen when it was released here and was absolutely blown away. Have seen it about 5 times since and am continually amazed at how it all comes together. Fantastic story, acting, visuals and a few funnies added in. Could watch this 'til the cows come home!

Other notable mentions are: BASEketball (for the same reasons as Rathen's post), Goodfellas (the boss of all gangsters), Blazing Saddles & Airplane (comedy gold).

Magnum Force. I love Clint Eastwood anyway and the Dirty Harry character is just fantastic. But there's just something about Magnum Force, it's got a great story, great dialogue, great supporting performances from the like of Hal Holbrook and David Soul. I love the look of 70s America on film and it's never looked better than San Francisco in the sunshine in Magnum Force.

Great set pieces too, like the plane hi-jack and the shooting competition.

Ace film.

And, topically, I can remember very vividly the first time I saw it. It was December 21st 1988. The night of the Lockerbie bombing. :(

I was 10, and I'd stayed up late to watch it, as I was recording it to VHS and wanted to "pause" it at the adverts. The film cutaway hastily to an advert early on in the film (ironically during the scene with the plane and the terrorists) to go straight to a Grampian news report about the bombing. Being 10, I was a bit pissed off about having to wait an hour with the video on pause for the film to start again.

Dazed and Confused is maybe my favourite - I don't seem to tire of watching it anyway. I kind of like films where nothing much happens but in an entertaining way.

My other favourite is Vacas, a Spanish film made by Julio Medem. It's really 'poetic' and strangely beautiful. One of those films you see something new in every time you watch it.

... It's an incredible film. After the success of the Excorcist and the French Connection, William Freidkin was given shit loads of money to make the film he wanted, how he wanted. This of course led to it bombing when it was released and it's been virtually forgotten since. For me, it's the most enjoyable film to come out of the 70s. It's tense, well acted, directed with visual flair, got explosions, elements of loads of genres without really having one of its own.

The Big Lebowski. Because nobody fucks with the Jesus.

"Shut the fuck up Donnie!"

Hard to nail just one movie...

• Drama - Godfather 1 & 2, Goodfellas, The Long Good Friday
  • Feelgood - Field of Dreams
  • Sci-Fi - Aliens
  • Fantasy - Lord of the Rings Trilogy
  • Comedy - Blazing Saddles, Monty Python & the Holy Grail
  • Thriller - Se7en, Silence of the Lambs
  • Horror - The Exorcist

...to name but a few.

Gun to head? Godfather!

Bladerunner. I can watch it once a year and still be totally absorbed by it. Funnily enough though, it took me forever to get into it in the first place, especially the version with the sleazy Harrison Ford narrative voiceover.

Amen to that bro. I had the opportunity to study it as my fictional text for Media Studies, and even after seeing it over 50 times, I will never get bored of that film. It is simply incredible, but as with most films, you either get it or you don't. Many people expect it to be an action flick and are thus disappointed on the first viewing. It is definitely a film you need to watch more than once to understand just how well structured the narrative and setting is.

That's the remake of Wages of Fear, with the Tangerine Dream soundtrack, if I'm not mistaken.

yep, It is a (loose) remake of the the Clouzot film Wages of Fear. It came out when all the top directors were trying to emulate their favourite european directors. So you had Scorsese putting in jump cuts like godard etc. Freidkin went one further and just remade one of his idol's films.

I forgot to mention the soundtrack, one of the reasons I love the film so much. You seen it?

Ghostbusters, also.

It had the same affect on me as The Simpsons. I was taken in by it at a very young age for purely aesthetic reasons - Clumsy guys chasing ghosts/Colourful slapstick cartoon. The older I got, the more I understood the humour and the characters, which also kickstarted a general interest in Bill Murray and good comedy films/TV on a whole. Essential.