aberdeen-music

Good places for lunch..

Ghostwriter

That new French place on Schoolhill does great crepes etc. at lunchtime. Proper massive savoury crepes as well, with chicken and bacon and stuff. Really really nice.

Crepes Jacques? They've got one on Union Street as well (where Halo used to be possibly?). I keep meaning to go in and check it out even though I think they should have called it "That's a lot of crepe", just for fun.

But then I also think the german bratwurst hut outside the St Nicholas centre should've been called The Brat Shack.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crepes Jacques? They've got one on Union Street as well (where Halo used to be possibly?). I keep meaning to go in and check it out even though I think they should have called it "That's a lot of crepe", just for fun.

But then I also think the german bratwurst hut outside the St Nicholas centre should've been called The Brat Shack.

Yes that's the one. I've eaten in both branches. The Union Street one is more of a restuarant than a cafe, it sells steaks and wine and frogs legs etc! While the other one is just a little cafe. The crepes are fucking great, they are just enormous and loaded with toppings (or whatever you call them). It's like eating a duvet. That's full of chicken. The only bad part is the salad dressing. It tastes like ass.

Kinda worried about the one on Union Street like, I've been in a few times and it's been completely empty. And I don't mean quiet, I mean literally empty. One time I could hear the manager on the phone to the waiters and kitchen staff telling them not to bother coming in that night.

Yes that's the one. I've eaten in both branches. The Union Street one is more of a restuarant than a cafe, it sells steaks and wine and frogs legs etc! While the other one is just a little cafe. The crepes are fucking great, they are just enormous and loaded with toppings (or whatever you call them). It's like eating a duvet. That's full of chicken. The only bad part is the salad dressing. It tastes like ass.

Kinda worried about the one on Union Street like, I've been in a few times and it's been completely empty. And I don't mean quiet, I mean literally empty. One time I could hear the manager on the phone to the waiters and kitchen staff telling them not to bother coming in that night.

Fillings??

Here to help :up:

I worked in the Union Street Creperie Jacques and they are absolute cunts. Never tried the food (as they were stingy bastards - wouldn't even give you a free staff meal on a 12 hour shift, or even discount) but must admit it looks good.

One tip though - don't be fooled by their 'complimentary home-made cider' - it's actually Strongbow decanted into a glass jug. True story.

I worked in the Union Street Creperie Jacques and they are absolute cunts. Never tried the food (as they were stingy bastards - wouldn't even give you a free staff meal on a 12 hour shift, or even discount) but must admit it looks good.

One tip though - don't be fooled by their 'complimentary home-made cider' - it's actually Strongbow decanted into a glass jug. True story.

I worke there too, it was possibly the shittest place ive worked in my entire life.:down:

I worke there too, it was possibly the shittest place ive worked in my entire life.:down:

Too right. I've worked in much bigger and busier restaurants, but the chefs there lose the plot when a table of 4 walk through the door. And the less said about the wine-guzzling managers the better!

When did you work there? I may have worked with you..........

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Creperie Jaques? Creperie WHACK, more like.

I went there twice and wouldn't go back. I ordered soup and a sandwich, then watched with dismay as the three other tables around me waited endlessly for food they had ordered before I had arrived. My drink arrived with a glass with greasy stains and crumbs in it which was quickly sent back. During this whole time, FOUR waiting staff came in and out of the kitchen without any food...there are about 6 tables max in the entire shop, none of which seat more than 4 people. Guess they forgot to get any kitchen staff on this particular shift as I ended up waiting over 50 mins for my order...unbelievable.

Creperie Jaques? Creperie WHACK, more like.

I went there twice and wouldn't go back. I ordered soup and a sandwich, then watched with dismay as the three other tables around me waited endlessly for food they had ordered before I had arrived. My drink arrived with a glass with greasy stains and crumbs in it which was quickly sent back. During this whole time, FOUR waiting staff came in and out of the kitchen without any food...there are about 6 tables max in the entire shop, none of which seat more than 4 people. Guess they forgot to get any kitchen staff on this particular shift as I ended up waiting over 50 mins for my order...unbelievable.

You have more staying power than me, I would have been out the door. 50 minutes for soup and a sanny?

Guest Tam o' Shantie
You have more staying power than me, I would have been out the door. 50 minutes for soup and a sanny?

I don't know why I waited so long. I think there had been an unusually long time spent deciding where to go or something, so we couldn't be assed ditching.

My god, just back from lunch at the Wild Boar, and it was fucking horrendous. Our nachos were cold with unmelted cheese on top, battered mushrooms had clearly been re-fried, and as for the New York Melt - hello, steak? Onions? Are you hiding? The cheese had clearly had enough and fucked off. Ghastly.

Yeah, the Wild Boar has taken a big dip in quality in the last year or so. It used to be fairly standard, edible pub grub (not a patch on its mid-90's glory days, but decent enough) but these days it's just grim. Avoid.

Five's OK, but I've never been blown away by the food in there. I've been in a few times since Snafu took over and haven't noticed any change in quality from before.

Triple Kirks has a new menu as of today. The burgers are great.

I noticed that the Prego sandwich shop at Queens Cross is expanding and introducing a cafe area. Should be worth checking out if the quality of their takeaway stuff is anything to go by.

I gave up on Prego after they got my sandwich order wrong every single time I was in. I either got the wrong bread, the wrong filling, or they forgot to put my juice / soup etc in the bag altogether. Most of the sandwich places around the west end are awful. Harvesters isn't too bad but it's ridiculously expensive. The sandwiches at Number 10 are barely edible.

I gave up on Prego after they got my sandwich order wrong every single time I was in. I either got the wrong bread, the wrong filling, or they forgot to put my juice / soup etc in the bag altogether. Most of the sandwich places around the west end are awful. Harvesters isn't too bad but it's ridiculously expensive. The sandwiches at Number 10 are barely edible.

I've only had the wrong order at Prego once, and the guy that did it has seemingly been relegated to the till since. It's just round the corner from my work so I'm there a lot and it's pretty excellent every time I've been in (even when they got my order wrong I went back and it was fixed immediately so there was no problem).

I think someone already mentioned it but Henry's by Vue is pretty nice. Was in there for lunch again today. Delicious and quick service! Also relatively cheap.

Walked past Blackfriars today and saw they were looking for a new chef... From reading this thread, it's probably a good move...

Too right. I've worked in much bigger and busier restaurants, but the chefs there lose the plot when a table of 4 walk through the door. And the less said about the wine-guzzling managers the better!

When did you work there? I may have worked with you..........

i worked there a few months ago now. the managers are clueless, the head chef was a useless piss head, never once saw him sober in a few weeks working there. the staff turnover was unbelievable, and i understand why... they treated staff like shite. and the food was gash... they couldnt live without their over crowded freezer. never again.:down:

If anyone is ever out balmeie direction pop into the white horse... the new menu is coming together nicely, should have it out by end of next week i believe! :up:

There's nothing wrong with it, but it's not great. It's just another chain pub that serves the same burgers, battered haddock and chilli as everywhere else. None of it's bad, it's decently priced for what it serves as well I think, but great would something a lot better than average - which Illicit Still isn't.

I find they have really good starters, but the main courses are fairly regular.

Last time I went there I didn't pay for my food. Halfway through eating it, it filled to the brim with rugby fans, and obviously if you've been there, you'll notice it's not really cut out for about 100 rugby fans stood up to watch the tiny TV's. I couldn't get anywhere near the bar to pay after waiting 10 minutes in a queue which wasn't even a queue, just bellends stood about. So I fucked off. Rightly so really, since our side orders or drinks never turned up anyway. We picked a bad day.

On a stag do in Paris earlier this year we left our hostel without paying for food. Not intentionally, we'd been there drinking for a while in the bar and just completely forgot about the 5 bowls of chips we'd ordered. So the poor aussie that we befriended over the weekend and came and sat at our table with us got it added to his bill after we left.

Wasn't until we bumped into him in the bar again the next night that we realised, but only after he told us "you cunts forgot to pay for your chips last night!".