aberdeen-music

Boycott The Evening Express

Shaki

I'm sorry you feel like that but clearly you havent really understood what I'm saying.

I completely understand that covering local bands isnt going to transform the distribution figures, and nobody should be so naive as to think it will. However, it is a local paper and if local music is covered, it will sell more copies than just covering mind-numbing pop. It may only be a small figure, but over a period local bands will generate more sales over and above the regular buyers than what is currently covered. Clearly it doesnt make enough of a difference for the EE to justify having a dedicated local band section so maybe I'm misguided but I feel my logic is pretty sound.

However my biggest gripe has already been touched on earlier. They are sponsoring Wizard festival; we were running a Wizard event; we wrote the article and took all the photographs etc for them. But they STILL published a story about JLS rather than the local artists. Had our event featured a signed act or anyone remotely famous, it would have received full bifter coverage of that I have no doubt. Shambles.

Your Wizard gig is reviewed in todays EE by the way.

I think he was about the same age, I've tried to find the story online but no luck because I am at work and have to be very careful about searching for things like "14-year-old sex video".

I dare say searching for that on your home computer could add your name to a list...

Was that the story about the 14 year old girl from Albyn School For Girls? Some guy filmed himself shagging her and bluetoothed it to his mates and it got posted on Bebo. If that's the same story.

Nah, it was the Grammar. This girl was 15. Basically her and her boyfriend filmed it, her phone got nicked in class and then the guy who nicked it bluetoothed it to everyone (including the teacher) and then I think it just circulated from there.

Link please.

The picture of the front page:

agssex.gif

Can't seem to find a link to the story though. If you were asking for a link to the video, I don't have that either.

Guest Gladstone

Love it when comments get blown out of proportion on here...

I wasn't slagging Marie-Claire in the slightest - she did a lot of favours for me getting previews into the paper etc, and I really appreciated any coverage that we got. And I didn't mean that I bullied her into submission or anything like that. I sent a lot of e-mails etc, before the first one got published. After that, it didn't take much persuasion each month to get something in, but it was very much a favour getting the previews in. And like I said, it was appreciated, and I always gave out guest list passes as a thank you. And - it wasn't the only way of promoting the gigs, it was just one of them. Any promotion you can get for a gig is good in my eye. Getting a preview in the local paper reaches people that may not have seen a poster for example.

But, it's the actual EE policy on not reviewing or giving decent coverage (by which I mean isn't just a 3 line bit on the side of the page) for anything that doesn't include someone "famous". Marie-Claire told me they (well I think it was her really) were very keen to get more articles on the local music scene, but as far as I can see this hasn't happened. I'm guessing it's the people above Marie-Claire who have decided against it, as she always seemed very keen to get stuff in and always went along the lines of "I'll see what I can do", and the articles varied in size etc. The clubnight featuring Alan McGee had a pretty big article with pic etc for example, but the others had much smaller previews.

I stand by the point that a local paper like EE should show a bit more effort in promoting the local music scene. I'm not saying a preview/review of every single gig, but try and have a decent sized article every Thursday dedicated to local bands/gigs. A band profile, or preview of something "big" happening, whether it's a band releasing an EP going on tour, playing a particular gig, whatever.

I know they have absolutely no obligation to do this because they are a business, but I have to agree with Dave in that this would generate a few more sales, at least on a Thursday, when local music is covered. Quite a few of the local band members would be buying the paper to look out for their article or articles involving other bands, and would more than likely tell their mates etc etc. The figures wouldn't be groundbreaking, but the cost of sticking the article in would be very minimal, as (like Dave has said), a lot of the stuff would be almost pre-written for them.

Guest Bob Double Jack
I'm sorry you feel like that but clearly you havent really understood what I'm saying.

I completely understand that covering local bands isnt going to transform the distribution figures, and nobody should be so naive as to think it will. However, it is a local paper and if local music is covered, it will sell more copies than just covering mind-numbing pop. It may only be a small figure, but over a period local bands will generate more sales over and above the regular buyers than what is currently covered. Clearly it doesnt make enough of a difference for the EE to justify having a dedicated local band section so maybe I'm misguided but I feel my logic is pretty sound.

However my biggest gripe has already been touched on earlier. They are sponsoring Wizard festival; we were running a Wizard event; we wrote the article and took all the photographs etc for them. But they STILL published a story about JLS rather than the local artists. Had our event featured a signed act or anyone remotely famous, it would have received full bifter coverage of that I have no doubt. Shambles.

i do fully see your point, but that is the way they work. you could send them 300 words / photos / etc, but they will sub it down to what suits them - you should try and get involved in the meetings they have with the public about improving the paper and letting them know your thoughts. I agree with your logic but ultimately if they decide it won't sell papers, they will do little with it. I know that this blows goats.

I stand by the point that a local paper like EE should show a bit more effort in promoting the local music scene. I'm not saying a preview/review of every single gig, but try and have a decent sized article every Thursday dedicated to local bands/gigs. A band profile, or preview of something "big" happening, whether it's a band releasing an EP going on tour, playing a particular gig, whatever.

I know they have absolutely no obligation to do this because they are a business, but I have to agree with Dave in that this would generate a few more sales, at least on a Thursday, when local music is covered. Quite a few of the local band members would be buying the paper to look out for their article or articles involving other bands, and would more than likely tell their mates etc etc. The figures wouldn't be groundbreaking, but the cost of sticking the article in would be very minimal, as (like Dave has said), a lot of the stuff would be almost pre-written for them.

Many years ago they pretty much had exactly this when Jim Gellatly did his weekly column every Tuesday. He covered the big gigs when they were on, but a large part of it was local coverage and it wasn't uncommon for a local band to get a quarter page or so write up, often without having to submit anything themselves at all. And more importantly, he was actually at the gigs practically every night and more often than not knew the bands personally. I'm sure pretty much all the bands of that time looked forward to buying the EE specially every Tuesday. Obviously that wouldn't have made a huge difference to the circulation figures, but it made a difference to the music scene at the time. This was at the same time as his show on Northsound. Would be great if they could get Michael Gordon or Andy Learmonth to do something similar, can't see it happening though.

Guest Gladstone
Many years ago they pretty much had exactly this when Jim Gellatly did his weekly column every Tuesday. He covered the big gigs when they were on, but a large part of it was local coverage and it wasn't uncommon for a local band to get a quarter page or so write up, often without having to submit anything themselves at all. And more importantly, he was actually at the gigs practically every night and more often than not knew the bands personally. I'm sure pretty much all the bands of that time looked forward to buying the EE specially every Tuesday. Obviously that wouldn't have made a huge difference to the circulation figures, but it made a difference to the music scene at the time. This was at the same time as his show on Northsound. Would be great if they could get Michael Gordon or Andy Learmonth to do something similar, can't see it happening though.

I remember there used to be a feature in some part of an EE supplement on a local band/musician on a fairly regular basis, but I can't really remember much about it. I remember being uber-excited when they had an interview with Toby from Little Kicks, as I was mates with Steven - I kept the supplement to give to him at work and everything... (this was before I had any involvement in the music scene myself - I was just a Little Kicks fanboy...)

and I secretly wanted to have Steven Milne's babies...

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK770i/R8BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I see that Panda Eyes at the Lemon Tree is number 3 on the 'top five things you must do this weekend' in today's paper, along with a rather fetching picture of one Mr Jan Deal... :)

Aye, fancy that.

• Upvote 1

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK770i/R8BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I see that Panda Eyes at the Lemon Tree is number 3 on the 'top five things you must do this weekend' in today's paper, along with a rather fetching picture of one Mr Jan Deal... :)

Nice one. Clearly the powers that be at the EE have been monitoring this thread closely.