aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Germany 4 - Engerland 0

All is good right with the world... :)

You forgot the attach "U21". A code which implies "Doesn't matter a fuck", unless England won it. Then, to an England fan, it obviously matters, and is very important, and accounts to the same significance as the World Cup multiplied by 5.

They have a good team on paper though. Walcott, Milner, Gabby, Hart, Gibbs. And Harts penalty was mint. He smashed that like a goal kick. What a champ.

Felt really bad for the USA in the confederations cup final; they were excellent for the first half but just seemed to tire in the second.

Their second goal was wonderfully worked and finished though; excellent to watch.

As were the South African free kick and Guiza's second goal in the third place play- off, assuming the latter was deliberate! Lovely stuff. Good omens for next year all round, except for those mad horns. But their annoyance factor dulls after a couple of games so I'm sure we'll all survive.

So what kind of loss will that mean then?

A lot of fucking money, anyway.

Apparently the recession has been pretty devastating for poor old Mike; his personal wealth has been slashed from 1.4b to a paltry 700m. He's put around 240m into Newcastle, so if he takes a 60m bid then that's a loss of 180m in total. At this juncture, it looks like he just wants something back.

I think Freddy re-taking the reigns would be an absolutely travesty, for what it's worth.

In other Toon-related bullshittery, David Edgar's gone to Burnley which is a stupid move on our behalf. He's not too bad a player (although some way short of PL standards) who could easily have done a job in the Championship, and this just means we've one more player to replace this summer.

Some plebe on one of our fan forums reckons Arsenal are gonna sign Bassong for 4m (which is about half of what he's really worth, I reckon) and give us Vela 'til January and Wilshire to the end of the season. I'd be pretty chuffed with that, but it's clearly nonsense. We'll end up with Paul Dickov and Jon Stead up front next season...

Guest idol_wild
Antonio Valencia signs for Manyoo from Wigan for around 16mil. 3 league goals for Wigan last season, as well as 4 goals in 34 appearances for Ecuador. Well on their way to replacing Ronaldo...

I rate him. But he's not a 16m player in my opinion. He's still got to prove himself a bit.

I do rate him too. I've not seen him shine as much for Wigan, but he seems to play blinders for Ecuador. He was brilliant against the Argies the other week. Much more of a traditional provider on the wing than cutting inside and having a shot, which is probably why he's not got much of a goal scoring record.

I think he could eventually be worth his price tag, as he'll have alot more quality to work with than he did at Wigan, and he could really flourish. But then again, Ronaldo is an 80million player. By those standards, I think even I'm a 16million player.

Valencia is not a headline grabber but he is an absolute workhorse and technically as good as any midfielder in the prem and a great marker/tackler. He'll maybe do a lot of the mucking in in the midfield that Rooney often comes back to do, leaving Roon free to stay up top like he seems to want to this coming season. His personality fits the club too, he's dedicated, professional and has no ego, the type of player SAF loves. Good signing I reckon.

It certainly is, but it's that goalscoring presence they need to be sharp about replacing. I think Benzema would round things off nicely, as they really need an all out striker with a work ethic and a bit of pace. Y'know, the boxes that Berbatov will probably never tick. Stop jogging, you greasy ballbag.

True. They do need a van nistelrooy type poacher. I still can't look past the natural talent of Berbs. From a spectators point of view I'm just hoping he comes good this season because when he's fancy flicking and splitting defences with pinky toe passes it is beautiful to watch. Benzema is an exciting prospect and would guarantee a good goal scoring return. His transfer saga is taking the piss, all this holding out for astronomical fees is ridiculous. I do hope Sir Scrooge Mcduck ferguson opens his wallet wide enough coz I'd love to see him in the prem.

I think if Fergie is going to pay over the odds for a player, it should be Ribery. Benzema would be a massive gamble. He's very young and is only proven in a fairly weak league. He is no doubt a great player, but whether or not he can live up to potential in a much more physical division is a costly gamble at the 40odd million that is being thrown around.

Is Valencia going to take the #7 shirt? How would that be for a bit of additional pressure on the young lad?

Even if he gets knocked off the ball 8 times out of ten, his potency in and around the box is top class which should see him though regardless. He's one of those players who can wrap his foot round anything. I would prefer Ribery too but that doesn't look as likely. Benzema has played a fair bit for the national side against top physical competitors and come out looking strong so who knows.

Well after Lyon batting United away constantly, they've accepted a bid for Benzema from Real Madrid, who appear to be just pulling money out of their arse. They paid the 80million for Ronaldo in a lump sum! I would have thought that was going to be staggered over the next, well, 80 years!

Oh well. Maybe Manyoo will get Michael Owen as a consolation.