aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Each of these merged teams should be given glamorised monikers at the end of their name, like Pythons, Smashers and Wild Angry Bears, kind of like what Sky did to Rugby League. Now there's no soul left in that game, lets strip it from football too!

The Aberdeen Seafarers?

This can be our new badge.

Tall_ship_Christian_Radich_under_sail.jpg

Just watching the John Hartson appearance on Soccer AM from Saturday. Glad he's all better. He's looking sprightly and well. The JOhn Hartson Foundation sounds swell too. He's hosting a 50 hour football match, starting on a friday and finishing on a sunday, to raise money somehow. Christ, I hope there's a highlight reel.

Just heard Ronaldo in that new Castrol advert too. Fuck me, it sounded like when Arnie is reiterating John Connor's cool slang slogans in Terminator Two. Or McBane and Fallout Boy. UP AND AT THEM!

You can fuck RIGHT off with that one.

Unless you're also proposing the Sheep merge with Cove Rangers and Banks O'Dee.

You did say shitey wee teams...

:up:

I suspected my plan would encounter such parochial resistance. Within a few games you'll be hugging your Fife brothers and sisters in celebration of the new regime and your return as a fan to the top flight.

Regards

W. Mercer Jr.

I would go for:

SPL - 16 teams, 30 games, 2 down

SFL - 16 teams, 30 games, 2 up and 3 down

SFL North, and SFL South - 12 teams each, 33 games, winner promoted automatically, play off between the two runners-up. Then the lower leagues.

The big problem for me is that the Scottish game has far too high an opinion of itself and that full time football is not a financially sustainable model. Less games a season would reduce fixture congestion, operating costs, reduce the wear on pitches, and cut down on midweek games with low crowds.

A regional structure at the bottom end primarily saves travelling costs for smaller clubs which have been feeling the pinch for a while now.

Oh, and the all seater rule can get to fuck aswell. Terracing > cramped seating, anyday.

I can dream.....

Favourite bits of the weekend:

1. The ripples of excitement at ICT stadium when those that had radios announce that Morton have a penalty... cue loads of ''ssssshhh'' from the fans, so everyone can hear whether he scored it. Utter silence in the stadium for a few seconds (nothing new there *chortle*), then delerium as those on their radios punch the air in celebration...causing everyone else to follow suit. You could see the players smiling at eachother when that cheer exploded!

2. Rooney's brilliant lob which seemed to take an age to drop down into the net; everyone was willing that one in.

3. Butcher trying to get Danny Sanchez's attention at the other end of the pitch: "Dan!! Dan!! Dan!! Dan...Dan!! Dan...Dan...Dan...Dan...Dan...DAN!!! Turns out no-one else sat near me knows Alan Partridge, as I was the only one creasing himself with laughter.

4. Mike Fraser (ex-ICT) screws up badly to concede the SPL's 7,000th goal v. Daly, signalling his last involvement in a Motherwell shirt I reckon. He's a McGhee signing, so maybe he'll make the trip up to sign for the Dons in the summer?

5. Arriving at my hotel in Glasgow on Saturday night, ahead of doing yesterday's marathon from Hampden - Loch Lomond, just in time to see John 'cuntsack' Terry get sent off. Brilliant.

Favourite bits of the weekend:

1. The ripples of excitement at ICT stadium when those that had radios announce that Morton have a penalty... cue loads of ''ssssshhh'' from the fans, so everyone can hear whether he scored it. Utter silence in the stadium for a few seconds (nothing new there *chortle*), then delerium as those on their radios punch the air in celebration...causing everyone else to follow suit. You could see the players smiling at eachother when that cheer exploded!

2. Rooney's brilliant lob which seemed to take an age to drop down into the net; everyone was willing that one in.

3. Butcher trying to get Danny Sanchez's attention at the other end of the pitch: "Dan!! Dan!! Dan!! Dan...Dan!! Dan...Dan...Dan...Dan...Dan...DAN!!! Turns out no-one else sat near me knows Alan Partridge, as I was the only one creasing himself with laughter.

4. Mike Fraser (ex-ICT) screws up badly to concede the SPL's 7,000th goal v. Daly, signalling his last involvement in a Motherwell shirt I reckon. He's a McGhee signing, so maybe he'll make the trip up to sign for the Dons in the summer?

5. Arriving at my hotel in Glasgow on Saturday night, ahead of doing yesterday's marathon from Hampden - Loch Lomond, just in time to see John 'cuntsack' Terry get sent off. Brilliant.

6. Surprise in Scotland as Gordon Smith steps down as chief executive of SFA - Telegraph

???

the split is shit, i much prefer situations when both teams need to win but for different reasons at the opposite ends of the table, kinda like the Wigan Arsenal match on sunday but more pointing back to end of season drama when titles, euro places, relegation & league placings are up for grabs. if the dons were still in the situation to effect someone not getting into europe/title it makes it a bit more meaningful than trying to deny someone to get 7th "best of the worst" placing.

it is silly having situations where you play the same team away 3 times but i still find it rather hilarious the huns moaning about going to dundee again (although obviously their stadium is vastly superior, not that i'll ever go to see for myself)

why not be flexible with the season, if there's no Euro's or World Cup play some matches over the summer. If scotland fail to qualify then play round the fixtures, haven't thought this out but anyway... look at the dates, play before/after it's finished, if the is time zone isn't gonna clash with saturday matches then fook it, cash in on football fever(!), it's not like the African Nations doesn't disrupt some domestic teams with players going away to represent their country, sadly not sure how many SPL players have much international representation in upcoming finals? probably been mentioned before.

avoid fixture congestion when teams are playing in european competitions, we need the scottish game to try and compete with as much advantage as possible.

my final thought for the day is that the weather is just too pish to justify winter football & as a fan i don't enjoy freezing my nuts off as even on a sunny day it's cold at pittodrie but add snow & ice & it's ten times worse.

ballocks rant over, best go to bed....

Guest Gladstone
Just watching the John Hartson appearance on Soccer AM from Saturday. Glad he's all better. He's looking sprightly and well. The JOhn Hartson Foundation sounds swell too. He's hosting a 50 hour football match, starting on a friday and finishing on a sunday, to raise money somehow. Christ, I hope there's a highlight reel.

Just heard Ronaldo in that new Castrol advert too. Fuck me, it sounded like when Arnie is reiterating John Connor's cool slang slogans in Terminator Two. Or McBane and Fallout Boy. UP AND AT THEM!

Sky Sports | Shows | Soccer AM | Most Popular | Raising awareness

Now that he's lost a load of weight, I'm even more of a Hartson lookalike.

Honestly, if I shaved my head and facial hair - that would be me.

I think I'm still a little bit drunk from last night, but Goddamn. Chris Hughton, I take back every bad word I ever said against you :love::love::love:.

...but would you keep him on next season?

My impression is that a lot of Toon fans are convinced he won't be able to cut it in the Premiership. Seems a bit harsh given what he's done this year.

Surely he's earned his chance?

I think he'll get a chance at least, but I fear they'll expect instant results from him given the stature of the club, and how they are pretty much expected to be a Premier League team.

The summer transfer market will be quite interesting. Perhaps some suprise swoops for Obi Martins and Michael Owen?

seriously man there is only a few of us who are stupid enough to think results will come instantly and easily, we also know we have around 15 mill to spend and a wage max. of 25,000 a week i think. I reckon some young talent and nicking a few portmouth players and maybe even west ham's too. Hopefully our scouting network is improved so we don't end up with Luques and Boumsongs...

The Toon fans on Teamtalk (where I base my opinions on football fans and use them as a blanket for their entire support) seem to be expecting big things from the way they are clarting on about it. Anything below mid-table sounds like it would be failure, because they're all shithorse mental.

For the sake of TV coverage and general media attention of the CCC, I'm glad Newcastle are fucking off. Now, I just hope a 'big boy' doesn't get relegated from the Premiership, like West Ham, or it'll be the West Ham division, and they'll be on the telly every bastard week. Not that it matters. Wednesday are as a good as relegated. We play Cardiff away this weekend, who will smash us good, and Palace, a point above us, have West Brom, who are already promoted, so will probably field some acaedmy kids, the kitman and the chancer who plays the club mascot. Hopefully they'll lose anyway, like we will, and it'll come down to the last day of the season. Football is shit.

The Toon fans on Teamtalk (where I base my opinions on football fans and use them as a blanket for their entire support) seem to be expecting big things from the way they are clarting on about it. Anything below mid-table sounds like it would be failure, because they're all shithorse mental.

For the sake of TV coverage and general media attention of the CCC, I'm glad Newcastle are fucking off. Now, I just hope a 'big boy' doesn't get relegated from the Premiership, like West Ham, or it'll be the West Ham division, and they'll be on the telly every bastard week. Not that it matters. Wednesday are as a good as relegated. We play Cardiff away this weekend, who will smash us good, and Palace, a point above us, have West Brom, who are already promoted, so will probably field some acaedmy kids, the kitman and the chancer who plays the club mascot. Hopefully they'll lose anyway, like we will, and it'll come down to the last day of the season. Football is shit.

Teamtalk is full of spastics, let's be honest.

I've not met a single Newcastle fan who's expecting anything more than a relegation battle this season. The thing about Newcastle fans having unrealistically high expectations is a total myth; our fanbase has its fair share of mongs, but no more than any other club in the country. All we really want is for the team to not roll over like a pack of lame dogs and give up the fight, as we did in our last Premiership season. Sky Sports and the media take great pleasure in portraying us as mutants who expect Champion's League football every season, but that's complete and utter toot. We're just a passionate group of success-starved fans who want nothing more than 100% commitment from the team, management, and board road.