aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Just out of curiosity, who's the worst manager everyones seen at the helm of their club since they've supported their team?

Steve Patterson for me.

Well I've only supported the Dons since the Skovdahl era, so I'd have to say Steve Paterson as well. Before that I supported Rangers and they only had about 4 managers in that time, all of whom were quite good.

Though being a lifelong Scotland fan, I could suggest Berti Vogts. He was fucking hopeless.

Guest Gladstone
Well I've only supported the Dons since the Skovdahl era, so I'd have to say Steve Paterson as well. Before that I supported Rangers and they only had about 4 managers in that time, all of whom were quite good.

Though being a lifelong Scotland fan, I could suggest Berti Vogts. He was fucking hopeless.

Remember during our campaign with Italy, France and Ukraine under McLeish, Vogts came out and tried to take the credit for us beating France because he brought McFadden into the Scotland sqaud.

Yes Berti, along with every single other man between the age of 18 and 23 eligible to play for Scotland, you fucking chump.

I'm just bitter that I never got a call up.

Remember during our campaign with Italy, France and Ukraine under McLeish, Vogts came out and tried to take the credit for us beating France because he brought McFadden into the Scotland sqaud.

Yes Berti, along with every single other man between the age of 18 and 23 eligible to play for Scotland, you fucking chump.

I'm just bitter that I never got a call up.

Kenny Arthur, Robbie Stockdale, Bob Malcolm, Steven Crainey, Paul Devlin, Gareth Williams, Brian Kerr, Matt Elliot, Scott Dobie.....

Guest Gladstone
Kenny Arthur, Robbie Stockdale, Bob Malcolm, Steven Crainey, Paul Devlin, Gareth Williams, Brian Kerr, Matt Elliot, Scott Dobie.....

I'm fucking better than all of them put together.

Apart from Matt Elliot - he was reasonably good for us actually.

Matt Elliot was brought in by Brown I'm sure. He was OK but I seem to remember sitting in a pub in Glasgow waiting for my then girlfriend watching him having a stinker against the Pharoe islands or San marino or somebody shit.

I thought he was absolutely shit. Also the most English of our English players if you know what I mean? I think he got sent off against the Pharaohs in Cairo. Ba dum tch.

I thought he was absolutely shit. Also the most English of our English players if you know what I mean? I think he got sent off against the Pharaohs in Cairo. Ba dum tch.

I was at Scotland v Faroe Isles at Pittodrie in 1998 (finished 2-1, Colin Hendry gave away a penalty) and I heard a punter shout "G'way back to Egypt you Faroe cunts!" at the away fans. He wasn't trying to be funny.

OK, OK, I can't spell Faroes, but I did find this.

Revised my opinion of Matt Elliott, he was a knob.

Faroe Islands 1, Scotland 1

I remember I was playing a gig in the Holburn Bar (then the Flare N Firkin) that night and had left my house with a couple of minutes to go assuming we'd held on for the win. Only when I got to the bar to start setting up and soundchecking did I find out that the Faroes had equalised. The pub was full of angry, drunken Scotland fans who didn't seem to think that listening to someone soundchecking a drum kit was the best thing to snap them out of their depression. I thought I was going to get battered at one point.

BBC Sport - Football - Rangers manager Walter Smith bemoans fixture imbalance

The split in our league is just plain ridiculous in my opinion. The sooner they scrap it the better.

Incidentally, we won't be getting a 16 team league next season now that the Dons appear to be safe ;)

There was an article in the Scotland on Sunday yesterday about different options for the league. I can't get their website to work properly to find it but it explained the Belgium league and how there system works and it is just fucking daft. Off the top of my head, after a home and away set of fixtures between all the sides the league splits into three with all points being halved. The top teams all play each other for the title, the middle group for a chance of a Europa league spot and the bottom teams for relegation (with the teams from the division below I think). I got the impression they are trying to get into having lots of play-offs and having the excitement of that. Waste of time if you ask me, should be the best team over the course of the season rather than who strikes gold.

Guest Gladstone
There was an article in the Scotland on Sunday yesterday about different options for the league. I can't get their website to work properly to find it but it explained the Belgium league and how there system works and it is just fucking daft. Off the top of my head, after a home and away set of fixtures between all the sides the league splits into three with all points being halved. The top teams all play each other for the title, the middle group for a chance of a Europa league spot and the bottom teams for relegation (with the teams from the division below I think). I got the impression they are trying to get into having lots of play-offs and having the excitement of that. Waste of time if you ask me, should be the best team over the course of the season rather than who strikes gold.

Bugger me*

That makes the SPL sound semi-sensible. Do people not realise that a straight forward league of play each other once at home, once away just works? It removes the stale-ness of playing the same teams hunners of times a season (i.e. you only get the bastards at your home ground once a season, so you'd better beat them etc etc).

*not literally - you're nae my type.

I don't understand the split. It works for the top half, but for the bottom half, it's just nonsencial. It's a very abrupt "ah, that's too bad. now the highest you can finish is 7th, even if you finish with more points than the team in 6th". If they are really set on having some novel season climax, then just have one big fuck-off knockout/playoff, giving all the teams in the top 6 a chance of winning the league through some flukey cup football where the form book goes out of the window. Or just do leagues how they are meant to be done, and don't fanny about with some system that is fucking bonkers.

The old 10 teams, 4 times a season thing was wank, playing the same team four times a season was a joke, it could even be five or six if you drew them in the cup as well. Obv. 12 teams three times a season would be ludicrous, cos you can't play everyone three times or Rangers and Celtic would cry about having a different number of away games. So 18-20 teams twice a season seems sensible.

12 current SPL teams, plus 8 from the first division. Fucking right.

Then just move all the other teams up 8 places into the varying divisions, and fill up Div 3 with 8 teams from the Highland League / East Of Scotland League / West Of Scotland League. They couldn't do any worse than fucking Elgin. Bottom team of div. 3 at the end of the season goes into play-off with the winners of the HL / EOS / WOS and get punted back into the appropriate division if they don't win.

Guest Gladstone
I like the split, makes playing for the top 6 exciting, without it there would be loads of meaningless mid table games.

No! It's shite!!!

I've said this before, but it removes the urgency from a lot of games. Until the last time you'll play a team, it isn't such a big deal, because you get 3 chances (after the first game) to make up for results.

I think it would be much more exciting playing each other just twice. Each game would be more meaningful.

Admittedly, the end of the season could have a few meaningless games, but I think there would be less meaningless games.

With a 16 team league, and without the split, you could have quite a few teams vying for 3rd place, and you'd almost inevitably have a decent amount of teams battling out relegation (with 2 up, 2 down) right till the end of the season. And it would make for interesting relegation battles if teams battling relegation could be left with a match against a mid-table team with little to play for, whilst their nearest rival is playing one of the old firm whose fighting for the title.

After the split - a lot of seasons leaves the team in 7th, maybe even 8th with 5 meaningless games till the end of the season. There's absolutely bollocks all to play for if you're away from relegation, which you almost always are. This is the tightest relegation battle I can remember for years. There normally seems to be one team miles adrift from everyone else, so 3 or 4 teams, maybe even 5 sometimes, are safe from the drop, but have fuck all to play for for those 5 games. There's no reward for coming 7th instead of 11th. Same could go for someone in 5th or 6th after the split if they're too far from 3rd. Sometimes they are, sometimes they're not.

I think this is the only way to go for the SPL!

Guest Gladstone
The old 10 teams, 4 times a season thing was wank, playing the same team four times a season was a joke, it could even be five or six if you drew them in the cup as well. Obv. 12 teams three times a season would be ludicrous, cos you can't play everyone three times or Rangers and Celtic would cry about having a different number of away games. So 18-20 teams twice a season seems sensible.

12 current SPL teams, plus 8 from the first division. Fucking right.

Then just move all the other teams up 8 places into the varying divisions, and fill up Div 3 with 8 teams from the Highland League / East Of Scotland League / West Of Scotland League. They couldn't do any worse than fucking Elgin. Bottom team of div. 3 at the end of the season goes into play-off with the winners of the HL / EOS / WOS and get punted back into the appropriate division if they don't win.

I think we need to cut the number of games. 16 team league, at the most an 18 team league would work. We can reinstate the winter break to give pitches a break etc. We should really be playing in the summer in this country to be honest. Our weather is just so fucking pish.

I've said this before, but it removes the urgency from a lot of games. Until the last time you'll play a team, it isn't such a big deal, because you get 3 chances (after the first game) to make up for results.

I think it would be much more exciting playing each other just twice. Each game would be more meaningful.

I don't think people see it this way, the players don't say "Oh, we got a crap result against St Mirren last time we played them, so we need to beat them" they just say "Oh, we're playing St Mirren, we need to beat them. Doesn't matter how many times they've played the same team in terms of points or league positions.

It's maybe different for you as a Celtic fan, you're always in the top 6. For everyone outside of the OF it's something to aspire to.

Why do we need 4 top divisions in a country our size?

2 leagues of 16 or 18 teams with 2 up and 2 down and a regional pyramid underneath. That's how it should be done. It's not just the SPL that's fucked, the whole league and SFA system is fucked.

We have to accept that we will never be a top tier league in europe and make the changes accordingly. If we can have a sensible setup across the whole country with a direct path from junior football to the SPL, then it will make for a more competitive league in the long term and better results within europe for the clubs and better players for Scotland with the benefits for national team results that come with it.

Why do we need 4 top divisions in a country our size?

2 leagues of 16 or 18 teams with 2 up and 2 down and a regional pyramid underneath. That's how it should be done. It's not just the SPL that's fucked, the whole league and SFA system is fucked.

We have to accept that we will never be a top tier league in europe and make the changes accordingly. If we can have a sensible setup across the whole country with a direct path from junior football to the SPL, then it will make for a more competitive league in the long term and better results within europe for the clubs and better players for Scotland with the benefits for national team results that come with it.

We should force shitey wee teams to merge and create bigger teams and just have one or two leagues.

Brechin + Arbroath + Forfar + Montrose = Angus United

Cowdenbeath + Raith + Dunfermline + East Fife = Kingdom of Fife FC

ICT + Ross Co + All the Highland League teams = Highland Terriers

Aye?

Guest Gladstone
We should force shitey wee teams to merge and create bigger teams and just have one or two leagues.

Brechin + Arbroath + Forfar + Montrose = Angus United

Cowdenbeath + Raith + Dunfermline + East Fife = Kingdom of Fife FC

ICT + Ross Co + All the Highland League teams = Highland Terriers

Aye?

Aberdeen + Peterhead + Cove Rangers = Aberdeenshire FC

Celtic + Rangers + Partick Thistle = Glasgow FC

Hearts + Hibs = AIDS