aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Well at least a relegation dogfight will give us something to play for in the next few weeks. Bunch of lazy apathetic cunts. I almost fucking hope we do go down so we can bin that lot and start again from scratch.

If we go down we'll be closing the doors for good. There will be no start again from scratch (which incidentally does indeed need to happen).

I'm actually contemplating going along on Saturday as this game is now massive. If the Dons lose, they are as good as gone in my opinion.

Kenny and Cindy Black are followed out of the Montrose Boardroom by Chairman Brian Winton who resigned on Saturday night citing "it is no fun anymore" (no shit sherlock). It also looks like John Paton is to follow, which is very worrying. Apparently the debt attached to the plastic pitch is crippling us because some idiot signed a bank loan with a silly rate weeks after telling fans it was all paid for.

we are very much a club in crisis/debt etc See STV tonight for further details....

Will I have a club to support next year?

Guest Gladstone
Well at least a relegation dogfight will give us something to play for in the next few weeks. Bunch of lazy apathetic cunts. I almost fucking hope we do go down so we can bin that lot and start again from scratch.

You won't go down. They'll make up a new rule like they did the last couple of times you were in danger. The rule this time will just be:

Aberdeen Football Club cannot be relegated. If Aberdeen Football Club lands in 12th position in the SPL, the SPL will be increased to a 16 team league the following season with 4 teams from the 1st Division promoted to the SPL, with no relegation in that season.

You heard it here first.

Tbh we very rarely get favours from anyone involved in Scottish football. I don't expect we'll get any this time round.

In fact I bet there are hunners of folk involved in the game rubbing their hands at the thought AFC could go down.

Only if Inverness don't get relegated, then the central belt teams won't have to make their fans travel allllllllll the way up to the north east of Scotland. Really looking forward to when Inverness, Ross County, Peterhead and Aberdeen are in the SPL. Then they will really have something to complain about!!

Guest Gladstone
Tbh we very rarely get favours from anyone involved in Scottish football. I don't expect we'll get any this time round.

In fact I bet there are hunners of folk involved in the game rubbing their hands at the thought AFC could go down.

Don't you remember the introduction of the play-offs? Now, my memory may be failing me here as it was a good while ago, but I'm sure it was decided during the course of the season when the Dons were in real danger, and it saved their asses in the end.

And didn't Aberdeen finish bottom and were due to play in a play-off with Dunfermline and Falkirk when the league was due to be expanded, but Falkirk were just not allowed in, despite offering to groundshare or something? I'm sure that was decided after Aberdeen landed bottom.

Despite the fact you think that people don't like Aberdeen etc. they are still the most recent successful Scottish club in European competition, and have never been outside the top flight (I think?) - so the SPL won't want to lose Aberdeen.

There has been a lot of talk surrounding expanding the SPL into a 16 team league, and just about everyone can see that it's a good idea. I'm just saying, if Aberdeen finish bottom this season (which I don't think they will), I wouldn't be massively surprised if we see the league expanded in the Summer, thus allowing Aberdeen to stay up...

Tonight could be the night that an incredible record comes to an end in England. League Two leaders Rochdale are playing bottom of the table Darlington and a win for Rochdale would seal promotion to League One bringing to an end 36 years in the bottom division of English football. Finally something to cheer about at Spotland.

Thing that I found out today - Bury were the first football club to score 1,000 goals in each of the top four tiers of English football.

"Just because Garth Crooks doesn't get something, though, doesn't make it a bad thing."

We're off to a good start...

Jonathan Wilson is great, I got round to reading his Inverting The Pyramid book while I was away on holiday last month and it didn't disappoint. I fully reccomend it to anyone with an interest in the shifting sands of football tactics.

Don't you remember the introduction of the play-offs? Now, my memory may be failing me here as it was a good while ago, but I'm sure it was decided during the course of the season when the Dons were in real danger, and it saved their asses in the end.

And didn't Aberdeen finish bottom and were due to play in a play-off with Dunfermline and Falkirk when the league was due to be expanded, but Falkirk were just not allowed in, despite offering to groundshare or something? I'm sure that was decided after Aberdeen landed bottom.

Despite the fact you think that people don't like Aberdeen etc. they are still the most recent successful Scottish club in European competition, and have never been outside the top flight (I think?) - so the SPL won't want to lose Aberdeen.

There has been a lot of talk surrounding expanding the SPL into a 16 team league, and just about everyone can see that it's a good idea. I'm just saying, if Aberdeen finish bottom this season (which I don't think they will), I wouldn't be massively surprised if we see the league expanded in the Summer, thus allowing Aberdeen to stay up...

Nahh. The play-off idea was decided before a ball was kicked that season, with league expansion having been decided months previously. This was before it was in anyway thought likely we'd finish bottom of the pack so this can't be said to have drafted to favour Aberdeen. It was always decided there would be no straight relegation that year.

As for Falkirk, the rules were pretty rigid then, and ridiculous. I can't recall the exact nature of it, but weren't they told countless times to have Brockville done up to meet a certain date, or provide alternative solutions by that certain date? The ground-sharing idea missed that deadline and was thrown out the window for that. You could argue that was due to wanting to ensure Aberdeen's position in the league, but I think the argument that its because the SFA are a bunch of beaurocratic dicks who avoid extra work at all costs is a more convincing one.

Also, even if the groudshare had went ahead, it would NOT have meant automatic relegation. And we had sweeped 3 1st division teams aside in the cups that year (changed days now) so we may well have been favourites for that complicated mini-league the beaks had devised, but that is all academic. Aberdeen were not granted any favours that season as far as I'm concerned, just fortune prevailed.

Guest Gladstone

Aye - well fair enough. It was fucking ages ago, but I just remember thinking that it seemed as if Aberdeen were getting (intentionally) let off the hook to preserve their SPL status.

But, that was back when I used to like seeing Aberdeen get beat, and would have gloated like fuck if they'd been relegated (due to being subjected to Celtic related abuse from all my mates my entire life...), whereas these days, I kind of half support Aberdeen in that I always look out for them winning, in games that don't feature Celtic, and want them to come 2nd in the league, do well in cups, and Europe etc. and sometimes go along to games and cheer them on - so I'd be really disappointed if they got relegated, unless it meant relegation led to a mass shake up and they pulled their collective finger out and sorted the club oot.