aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Let me rephrase that - who is a better target man in the SPL in games that haven't just involved ICT? For some reason, Nish only seems to turn up against them.

I always stuck 5 on him to be first goalscorer in games v. ICT. He seemed to turn into Luca Toni for those games...

I actually think he is an effective target man. As is Kevin Kyle, John Daly and John Sutton... plus that boy Motherwell have got that is on loan from Everton.

Obviously we're not going to agree on this one, and I know Lee Miller is especially hated by PJM fans, but surely the fact that Gordon Strachan, who has observed him for years, rates him highly enough to fork out half a mil for him suggests that at the very least he isn't shite.

I'm not being facetious, genuinely curious - who do you think is a better target man in the SPL?

As much as you lot hate him for the shocking tackle, Lafferty is a solid target man and leagues ahead of Miller.Jon Daly when he's fit is as good as, if not better, than Miller. Kevin Kyle as well, is a very solid target man.

On looking at SPL players that lot seem to be the best of a bad bunch of natural target men so, admittedly, Miller would obviously be up there by virtue of the fact that there are very few target men (most forwards in the SPL seem to fall into the more striker or on ground hold-up play categories). That's assuming he's even considered a target man. It may be that he get's used as one but i wouldn't say that was his natural position by any means.

In my mind a target man shouldn't be hitting the deck at every opportunity, that is the role of a nippy striker trying to show how oafish and cumbersome a centre back is. A target man should be solid on his feet and in the air and an obvious target in the box at set pieces as an alternative to the big boys at the back (something that Miller isn't- incidentally how many goals has Miller scored with his head at Aberdeen? He wasn't exactly known for his headed goalscoring anywhere else).

I'd be quite happy to get rid of Miller. For me, he's been ineffectual for at least the past year. He should be trying to win headers more often instead of crumbling to the deck looking for free kicks all the time. If he put a bit of effort in, he could actually be a decent player. I think he'll be 100 times better for Boro than he ever was for us.

Be nice to get 500k for him and free up the wage bill as well, and here's hoping we get in a more prolific goal scorer. I think we depend too much on our formation being based around a target man. Let's continue the passing game that McGhee has employed and play it through to strikers, rather than lumping it up the park and hoping than someone gets a lucky flick on.

I think you'd struggle to find anyone in Scotland with that opinion! He really is that terrible.

Well he's largely responsible for putting the ball in towards David Healy in the Northern Ireland set-up and how many goals has he scored? He made a rather unforgettable debut in the Northern Ireland win over Spain and he played a blinder through their qualifying campaign.

He played a rather important role in getting Burnley into the EPL so i don't think it warrants a dismissive attitude towards him at all.

Edit: Just to clarify he obviously wasn't in their promotion team but his performances led to him getting a big money move to Rangers and helped Coyle build his squad with the resulting funds made available from his transfer.

Hmmm, his hold up play and presence in the box/air in general is unparalleled in the SPL. You lot just have the blinkers on 'cause he's a Dirty Hun.

Ha! You've got to be kidding, right? The boy is total geesh. Just because he's tall and a total thug doesn't make him a good target man. He has been largely woeful for Rangers, and he only really gets a game because thay have so many injuries. Even if you are a fan of his, you've got to admit he's basically achieved nothing at Rangers, and therefore cannot be considered the best target man in the SPL.

Kris Boyd is the exact opposite of a target man. He is the definition of a penaltybox striker.

Kyle Laugherty is not a target man. He has played on the left flank or up front (but not as the spearhead) but the OF rarely use target men as they dont often have the need to hold the ball up - most of the time they are the ones on the offensive and dont need an outlet. Hence JVoH being marginalised so brutally. Penalty box strikers in teh Boyd/McDonald mode or pacy troublemakers like K Miller/ Fortune are more popular.

I think Jon Daly is a reasonable attacker, but better than Lee Miller? Never in a million years. Simply; I cant imagine anyone paying decent money for him or becoming an international etc.

What about Billy Mehmet?

OK now I'm kidding...BAZINGA!

Im not asking people just to name target men, but to name target men who are better than Lee Miller. Obviously its subjective, but I dont think anyone suggested thus far is even close to his quality, with the possible exception of LukeJuke. And even then, hes an Everton player and the sample size is very small. Looks like a good player though, even though I aint convinced that hes a target man.

EDIT sorry I didnae see the small print - distracted

Kris Boyd is the exact opposite of a target man. He is the definition of a penaltybox striker.

Kyle Laugherty is not a target man. He has played on the left flank or up front (but not as the spearhead) but the OF rarely use target men as they dont often have the need to hold the ball up - most of the time they are the ones on the offensive and dont need an outlet. Hence JVoH being marginalised so brutally. Penalty box strikers in teh Boyd/McDonald mode or pacy troublemakers like K Miller/ Fortune are more popular.

I think Jon Daly is a reasonable attacker, but better than Lee Miller? Never in a million years. Simply; I cant imagine anyone paying decent money for him or becoming an international etc.

So you're outright ignoring the more successful aspects of Lafferty's career, namely him being a target man at international level and also for Burnley?

OK.

1) I don't think that Kyle Lafferty is a better target man than Lee Miller

2) I don't think that Kyle Lafferty is a better footballer than Lee Miller

3) I think that Kyle Lafferty is a shambles, and I challenge anyone who has seen his attempts at playing football since he joined the Bosche to argue otherwise

• Upvote 1