aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

I remember there was a guy who played for Notts forest who quit football to pursue a career in music. He scored once in an important Uefa cup match in stoppage time, that's all I remember about him but I always wondered what happened to him.

I think his surname was McGregor and his band was called something like Merc. Apparently Stuart Pearce used to turn up at his gigs only so he could stand at the front and stare at him to put him off.

• Upvote 1

Like in Seinfeld with George and Elaine.

Sorry to go off on a tangent but it has recently come to my attention that there are a startling number of footballers in bands nowadays.

first I saw this:

Tevez's band

then this

Nobby Solano's got the Geordie Latinos on the go too. Babel raps. What's going on? Anyone know of any more? I remember there was a guy who played for Notts forest who quit football to pursue a career in music. He scored once in an important Uefa cup match in stoppage time, that's all I remember about him but I always wondered what happened to him.

Slaven Bilic!

The knowledge have already covered this. Gutted, was gonna write in. The footballers who make sweet music | Football | guardian.co.uk

Always thought Bilic had a bit of metal about him.

Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay - Clarence Seedorf

There is nothing the man can't do. If anyone has some time to kill, I would strongly recommend having a look at his website. You'll find his appearances on sketch shows, news of his latest humanitarian and environmental work (accompanied by photos of associated hobnobbing with Mandela and all that), and so much more.

Clarence Seedorf official football website with news, facts, pictures and videos Clarence Seedorf Offical Website

He neglects to mention how he's (allegedly) shagging George Clooney's bird though, sadly.

Kevin rutkiewicz

I met him in Sizzlers one night. He was a right prick. He was playing for the Dons at the time and he spent 10 minutes waxing lyrical to me about how much he loves Celtic and telling me how much of a prick Ebbe Skovdahl was (who was still manager at the time). Also It was a Friday night, there was a match the next day and he was pissed and eating a cheeseburger and chips. Criminal.

I saw a footballer on Football Focus once a good few years ago who played in some band. I can't remember who it was though. An English guy anyway, from the lower leagues IIRC.

Tangent - whatever became of that Crystal Palace defender who retired from footy to go and be a pro boxer? Did he ever win?

Curtis Woodhouse! Just looked him up on the Internet and he has a 10-1 record, could be put in the ring with punchbags mind you. Still plays football part time as well by the looks of it.

Also, Derek Riordon had a smash hit called "Rudi Skacel is a refugee" if that counts.

Curtis Woodhouse! Just looked him up on the Internet and he has a 10-1 record, could be put in the ring with punchbags mind you. Still plays football part time as well by the looks of it.

Also, Derek Riordon had a smash hit called "Rudi Skacel is a refugee" if that counts.

Aye that's him. He sounds like an arsehole.

Woodhouse had a history of theft, robbery and affray, and said that he had "fallen out of love" with football.[41] He admitted to have been involved in around 100 street fights.[41] He said; "Boxing has always been my first love, even as a kid",[42] and "I love fighting...Rather than get locked up for it, I might as well get paid for it."[43] He also stated that he used to spar in the boxing gym after football training without his manager's knowledge,[42] saying "A few times at Sheffield United, Neil Warnock would drag me in and say I hear youve been boxing. Id be standing there with a big black eye and a fat lip and deny it."[43]
His boxing license was suspended by the British Boxing Board of Control, following a conviction for assaulting a police officer whilst drunk and of using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour in April 2006, when he was still playing for Grimsby Town,[41][48]

I thought it was a highly enjoyable game. Found myself supporting Man United and I have absolutely no idea why. I think it may be because I hate Craig Bellamy and think he should go and grow a neck, regardless of the fact that he is a top player. Can't believe Rooney didn't score as he was looking very good out there, especially in the last 10 minutes or so (Owen... surely not). I thought Fletcher had a good game but Carrick left a bit to be desired.

Blackburn Rovers 2-0 Aston Villa! Should be a... err... classic....

Fletcher was great at keeping the ball himself, but his passing was atrocious. So many passes straight to City players. Carrick was spraying great passes all over, but generally his play was quite slow. If only they could merge into a super footballer!

I met him in Sizzlers one night. He was a right prick. He was playing for the Dons at the time and he spent 10 minutes waxing lyrical to me about how much he loves Celtic and telling me how much of a prick Ebbe Skovdahl was (who was still manager at the time). Also It was a Friday night, there was a match the next day and he was pissed and eating a cheeseburger and chips. Criminal.

I used to talk to him quite a lot when I worked at AFC and he was always sound as a pound. Slightly squiffy eyes if I remember correctly. Terry from Driveblind worked there too and Rutkewitz was a big fan! Maybe that was his inspiration....

Aye that's him. He sounds like an arsehole.

Fuck me, I just had a quick scan on the Internet for him and had a vague idea he had been in a bit of bother but didn't pick up on any of that. He sounds like a right fucking bellend. His name always stuck with me as I remember Dick Advocaat almost signed him for Rangers...how very appropriate that would have been.

I think his surname was McGregor and his band was called something like Merc. Apparently Stuart Pearce used to turn up at his gigs only so he could stand at the front and stare at him to put him off.

Has nobody picked up on how hilarious a situation that would be to watch?

As Original Spies said, I don't think there was any owning, pwning or otherwise but I didn't mean to suggest Utd were much better.

Aye, it was obvious to me that Tevez was gesturing at Rooney. He certainly made sure it went in after whatever Rooney was saying to him! Maybe he should have kept quiet. I still look forward to Carlos having more egg on his face than Kirk Broadfoot when Utd. outclass them at Old Trafford.

This whole 2-legged semi final business is a bit stupid. I don't really have much interest in watching 2 league encounters between Blackburn and Villa in a season, never mind 2 legs of a cup game. They're not fooling anyone, it's still the diddy cup.

Hmmm, egg on my face.