aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Ohhhhhh JIMMY JIMMY...!

Bring back JC - I told y'all McGhee was shite. Calderwood would never have let his squad get into such a dire position whereby Stuart Duff played at centre half. JC might have been gung ho, but never from the start with 2 midfielders in untried positions at the back.

I don't think McGhee is shite. Who else was he meant to play at the back? And how can he take in new players when he isn't even given money to pay wages. He is in a hopeless position, and predict he'll resign within 3 months

This is so typical Aberdeen, McGhee has had one game, and already everyone is on his case! How is he mean to take in players, when the Board won't even give him the money to even pay players wages?

Aberdeen will finish bottom 6 this year cause they are not good enough, but it's not McGhee's fault! Calderwood was fighting above the weight for years, ony now can we see how much. The Directors have been dwindling away the clubs playing resources for years now, and this will be the first season where it will it will be noticed exactly how much

I'm on McGhees case because his formation and tactics were a complete embarrassment.

He has money to sign players, but has done the square root of fuck all for almost 2 months now. He was appointed on the 12th of June.

Simply not acceptable.

I'm on McGhees case because his formation and tactics were a complete embarrassment.

He has money to sign players, but has done the square root of fuck all for almost 2 months now. He was appointed on the 12th of June.

Simply not acceptable.

Last night was an embarrassment, I was at the game and even as a non supporter i felt sorry for everyone involved, with the exception of the players, who were piss poor, they are simply not good enough.

But in fairness to McGhee he's inherited a crap squad, is finding it impossible to get quality players interested in coming up here, and has next to no money to make it financially rewarding. He has no options with the squad he has, and I hate to say when he has more injuries and suspensions things are gonna get worse.

Aberdeen fans are awful. Some of the shouts last night were unbelievable.

And Lee Mair wasn't kept on because the club didn't have a manager and so no offer was put on the table for him. I'm pretty sure McGhee would have liked to keep him but St Mirren came in with a two (maybe three?) year deal and when it's the only offer you've got you can't blame Mair for getting the contract signed.

Aberdeen fans are awful.

wholehartedly agree! the majority of aberdeen fans are always on the players/managers/officials/board etc etc's backs.

Nothing is ever good enough for an Aberdeen fan (regardless of what they tell you!)

If I got an offer to play for Aberdeen or say Hearts / Hibs / Motherwell / Falkirk, they would most certainly be my least favoured choice for that particular reason!

wholehartedly agree! the majority of aberdeen fans are always on the players/managers/officials/board etc etc's backs.

Nothing is ever good enough for an Aberdeen fan (regardless of what they tell you!)

If I got an offer to play for Aberdeen or say Hearts / Hibs / Motherwell / Falkirk, they would most certainly be my least favoured choice for that particular reason!

I think there are certain members of the club who do deserve criticism, Mark McGhee at this time doesn't.

Reckon he has come up here having been given certain guarantee's, for them to be dashed since he got here.

Just heard Bobby Robson has died. Sad news. Great manager. They must have known he didnt have long left, giving him that england v germany match a few days ago.

This is truly sad news, but after seeing him on Sunday not a total shock. Shows how much he was respected as a person when an ex English manager is held in high regards by the Scots. RIP Bobby

I think there are certain members of the club who do deserve criticism, Mark McGhee at this time doesn't.

Reckon he has come up here having been given certain guarantee's, for them to be dashed since he got here.

The guarantees he was given on taking the job are still guaranteed. He has the same money to spend now that he was told he would have to spend. The problem lies in the fact that given the limited budget he has wanted to spend it wisely and make sure that he got the best possible players for the money. He presumably thought he was on to a sure thing with Reda Johnston and maybe McLean and Paterson so wasn't actively pursuing anyone else until those deals had been concluded......which of course never happened.

McGhee does deserve criticism for the lack of sharpness and direction that the players exhibited last night but he has taken on a very hard job. Scottish football is more fucked than it has ever been at the moment so really the expectations of the fans for what the board and management are able to achieve need to be checked. Having said that, outside the OF we're all in the same boat so there should be no excuse for domestic embarrassments. Will be interesting and no doubt frustrating to see what happens transfer wise between now and the Celtic game.

The guarantees he was given on taking the job are still guaranteed. He has the same money to spend now that he was told he would have to spend. The problem lies in the fact that given the limited budget he has wanted to spend it wisely and make sure that he got the best possible players for the money. He presumably thought he was on to a sure thing with Reda Johnston and maybe McLean and Paterson so wasn't actively pursuing anyone else until those deals had been concluded......which of course never happened.

McGhee does deserve criticism for the lack of sharpness and direction that the players exhibited last night but he has taken on a very hard job. Scottish football is more fucked than it has ever been at the moment so really the expectations of the fans for what the board and management are able to achieve need to be checked. Having said that, outside the OF we're all in the same boat so there should be no excuse for domestic embarrassments. Will be interesting and no doubt frustrating to see what happens transfer wise between now and the Celtic game.

Celtic are a better team on there day than Sigma, so if Celtic come up here and play well, and Aberdeen haven't improved I think we could be looking at 7 or 8, seriously! There wasn't a single Aberdeen player who got pass marks last night.

I was at the game last night and it was a shambles. We were totally outplayed, outclassed, we looked clueless going forward, clueless at the back, we had no pace, looked lethargic and generally completely unfit. Virtually no positives to take from the game at all.

I heard McGhee on the radio after the game, and he says that he has, and always has had, a budget to sign three players, the reason it fell over is because they put all their eggs in the Reda Johnson basket, then when that fell through, they didn't have a contingency. Amateur mistake perhaps, but they didn't expect him to sign for Plymouth after doing a pre-season with us.

I'm sure things will get better for us in the league, that game just came along too soon for us. All this "not going back this season", "going to get my season ticket refunded" talk is a bunch of shit, you support your team through good and bad, and anybody who is going to get their season ticket refunded after one bad match isn't a real fan. Get behind McGhee, not on his back.

Jesus wept. Some Aberdeen fans are absolutely impossible... one game and there are already people jumping on McGhee's back. Of course he shouldn't be immune from criticism, but what kind of a team was he supposed to put out last night with the players at his disposal? The squad is ridiculously thin and the players haven't played enough pre-season games to be up to full match sharpness. I've been as bemused as everyone else re: the lack of signings, but come on, it's one game against a technically better side who were quite clearly more together as a squad. Sigma are not the "tiny minnows" that everyone's made them out to be.

Jesus wept. Some Aberdeen fans are absolutely impossible... one game and there are already people jumping on McGhee's back. Of course he shouldn't be immune from criticism, but what kind of a team was he supposed to put out last night with the players at his disposal? The squad is ridiculously thin and the players haven't played enough pre-season games to be up to full match sharpness. I've been as bemused as everyone else re: the lack of signings, but come on, it's one game against a technically better side who were quite clearly more together as a squad. Sigma are not the "tiny minnows" that everyone's made them out to be.

Most of the reasons you give there Murrr can be traced directly back to McGhee. The squad is thin - he has known that for a month. They never played enough pre-season games - managers fault, should've organised more. Players unfit - managers fault.

Other things McGhee was at fault for last night: Derek Young at Right back, Staurt Duff and Centre Half. Thats how it started AND finished. why did he not change it when it clearly wasnt working? Brian Irvine mentioned it after about 15 minutes on the radio, said Young looks way out his depth etc.

Anyway, I dont really care, I hate Mark McGhee and by association, Aberdeen have dropped dramtically in estimations. I said at the time that they woudl regret sacking Calderwood. They will.

Oh aye, and if Muttley hadnt stalled on the offer to see if he could get his beloved Celtic job he would've had another 2 weeks in the job to sort out the mess.

Will definitely not regret sacking Calderwood.

Aberdeen's pre-season schedule was drawn up before McGhee was appointed. Yes, he'll have taken control of how training was set up and what they DID over in Austria, but the number of games weren't down to him.

That said, I agree with you - Aberdeen NEVER play enough pre-season games against decent opposition. Locos, Peterhead, Brechin, Deveronvale, Cove Rangers. Let's play some Championship teams please!

Other things McGhee was at fault for last night: Derek Young at Right back, Staurt Duff and Centre Half. Thats how it started AND finished. why did he not change it when it clearly wasnt working? Brian Irvine mentioned it after about 15 minutes on the radio, said Young looks way out his depth etc.

What was he supposed to change it to? Did you see his bench?

Subs Not Used: Nelson, Crawford, Holm, Megginson, Ross.

All he had on the bench was a bunch of kids, had he had a right back and a centre back he wouldn't have played Duff and Young at the back in the first place.

It's been glaringly obvious for ages, since Anderson left in fact, that we needed an experienced CB. We scraped through last season with Severin and Mair, but Mair should never have been allowed to go without a replacement signed.

Looks like the same situations as the Huns last year, ie penny pinching on players and then having to splash the cash anyway, after the damage has been done and we've lost the European cash. :down:

All he had on the bench was a bunch of kids, had he had a right back and a centre back he wouldn't have played Duff and Young at the back in the first place.

Duff played at Right Back on numerous occassions for United. He would've been better on the right with Young in the centre.

Well, for a start he could have shifted to a more solid 4-4-2, shift Foster to RB, Mulgrew to LB.