aberdeen-music

Wind-up?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Let's cut the petty insults and endless bleating about free speech and look at the facts. The hapless goons on this thread that supported Wifebeater unwittingly gave them enough rope to hang themselves. Unfortunately for them, legislation exists to prosecute those accused of inciting hatred towards ANY section of society and whether you like it or not, deriding women and being seen to mock the issues around domestic abuse, not to mention going as far as to advocate the merits of a particular weapon to beat a woman go a long way towards that charge regardless of the claim that it's just meant to wind people up. So egging the band on has actually led them to the point where the authorities are taking a very close interest in what's going on with the potential to lead to criminal charges. Doesn't matter what anyone says on here, that will be decided by the police if they get involved. Taking the content off the web is, i'm guessing, shutting the stable door way after the horse has bolted.

And in case you're also unaware, under the Licensing Board's Gender Equality Scheme anyone putting on gigs where the material is in contravention of the stated principles of the scheme can and will lose their license. The council doesn't have any truck with 'irony'.

So, Exposure @ Lemon Tree

you have jeopardised the future funding and licensing of the Lemon Tree. How does it feel to wield such power through ignorance? This is a public forum not a private club and as such your comments will have been noted. I'd be astonished if your suggestion was actually supported by the Lemon Tree's management.

Cue backlash/sexist insults/threats/obscenities/dismal attempts at eloquence*

*delete as approriate but bear this in mind

a) the more you insult me the more I take it as a resounding endorsement of my character and

b) your next post could be the proof the police need to charge your friends with incitement to hatred.

Go for it....

One question:

Where's my bleeping tea?

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
Let's cut the petty insults and endless bleating about free speech and look at the facts. The hapless goons on this thread that supported Wifebeater unwittingly gave them enough rope to hang themselves. Unfortunately for them, legislation exists to prosecute those accused of inciting hatred towards ANY section of society and whether you like it or not, deriding women and being seen to mock the issues around domestic abuse, not to mention going as far as to advocate the merits of a particular weapon to beat a woman go a long way towards that charge regardless of the claim that it's just meant to wind people up. So egging the band on has actually led them to the point where the authorities are taking a very close interest in what's going on with the potential to lead to criminal charges. Doesn't matter what anyone says on here, that will be decided by the police if they get involved. Taking the content off the web is, i'm guessing, shutting the stable door way after the horse has bolted.

And in case you're also unaware, under the Licensing Board's Gender Equality Scheme anyone putting on gigs where the material is in contravention of the stated principles of the scheme can and will lose their license. The council doesn't have any truck with 'irony'.

you have jeopardised the future funding and licensing of the Lemon Tree. How does it feel to wield such power through ignorance? This is a public forum not a private club and as such your comments will have been noted. I'd be astonished if your suggestion was actually supported by the Lemon Tree's management.

a) the more you insult me the more I take it as a resounding endorsement of my character and

b) your next post could be the proof the police need to charge your friends with incitement to hatred.

Go for it....

I don't work for the Lemon Tree - if there was any question of this threatening their future licence, my clubnight would simply be pulled.

I doubt that would happen though. How many venues have Wifebeater played? Are you saying each and everyone would be shut down because they allowed Wifebeater to play?

This will blow over in a week or so and be forgotten about.

Let's be clear about this. Wifebeater did NOT donate the money they raised to Grampian Women's Aid as they said. GWA have received no donation from Wifebeater or any other individual in the year since the gig and they would not have accepted a donation from a band of that name anyway. Seems to me this board may have been used to perpetrate fraud/ obtaining money by deception so let's not hear the GWA 'donation' held up as proof of 'irony' please.

Guest idol_wild

*Prime example. Jimmy Carr's joke. What's worse than finding a worm in your apple? Being raped. I've seen all sorts of "respectable" members of society laughing out loud at that joke. It ain't funny being raped, and I'm sure Jimmy Carr doesn't think it's funny being raped. Jimmy Carr gets on TV and everything because people think he's funny.

Jimmy Carr is an excellent example. Personally, I find his material to be really funny. He has an especially good gag aimed at obese people. Yet I'm sure, like me, he doesn't have anything against obese people.

It's for comedic effect. And the same applies/applied to Wifebeater. They were inciting absolutely nothing other than a few wry chortles. I wasn't a fan of the music in any way at all, nor did I pay much attention to the subject matter - but, unlike many people it seems, I was intelligent enough to understand THAT THEY WERE BEING IRONIC AND TONGUE-IN-CHEEK.

I will expect the same local politicians to try and ban Jimmy Carr from his next tour and, in particular, from ever performing in Aberdeen again. Afterall:

The council doesn't have any truck with 'irony'.

Go for it....

Women, eh?

what about my chemical romance..... a band name that could be taken as an affair with drugs and they sing songs about people commiting suicide.

You could go on and on and on about this. The minute bands start being banned by councils/authorities/whoever for artistic expression, regardless of who it offends, there will be a massive backlash. People paint pictures of death and violence, make tv programmes about it etc., dramatise and even glamourise things such as drug-taking, violence, gang wars etc etc etc. And - musicians have been making music about whatever the hell they want for years and years and years, and it will continue to do so. If Wifebeater wanted to keep going and were serious as a band, they could keep going, and if they were being threatened with being banned from venues and the like, they could still keep going underground, and all this storm in a tea cup would probably increase the interest in them.

It's just all a bit silly that MSPs even give a shit about this if you ask me.

Go for it....

*yawn* TL : DR.

If you were my wife, I would so be Shun Goku Satsu'ing you right now.

Let's be clear about this. Wifebeater did NOT donate the money they raised to Grampian Women's Aid as they said. GWA have received no donation from Wifebeater or any other individual in the year since the gig and they would not have accepted a donation from a band of that name anyway. Seems to me this board may have been used to perpetrate fraud/ obtaining money by deception so let's not hear the GWA 'donation' held up as proof of 'irony' please.

What you're saying is Wifebeater gave you the cash to donate to GWA and you couldn't possibly accept a donation from a band of that name....

So you pooched it.........?

8o

Proof that even SHE finds Wifebeater to be comedic.

I'd be very careful with wrongful accusations if I were you

Guest idol_wild
I'd be very careful with wrongful accusations if I were you

But the proof is there for the Police to see. She laughed in the thread.

GET HER LIFTED.