aberdeen-music

This Town Needs Guns + Kartta, Sat 14th Feb Moshulu

Guest idol_wild

Guest idol_wild
Aye? Fair play then, was just that afterwards a couple of us were saying they didn't seem too chuffed with the reception they got.

That's nae supposed to be a dig at the promotion or anything else, for the avoidance of doubt.

They were intelligent enough not to expect a massive turnout anyway, and they said they were happy enough, given several factors that came into play.

Hopefully hopefully they'll be back later in the year. In a smaller and more suitable venue for them :)

They were intelligent enough not to expect a massive turnout anyway, and they said they were happy enough, given several factors that came into play.

Hopefully hopefully they'll be back later in the year. In a smaller and more suitable venue for them :)

Aright, that's decent then :)

A smaller venue would be magnificent.

Load of horse shit.

GR8 response. If you're playing shows in the States / Europe, 9 hour drives are often a welcome break from ridiculously longer journeys. I'm not suggesting that TTNG were whining about having to drive 9 hours the next day, but it's certainly not a mammoth drive / out of the ordinary for a touring band.

GR8 response. If you're playing shows in the States / Europe, 9 hour drives are often a welcome break from ridiculously longer journeys. I'm not suggesting that TTNG were whining about having to drive 9 hours the next day, but it's certainly not a mammoth drive / out of the ordinary for a touring band.

Agreed, but the way you phrased it did make it sound like you were totally dismissing them for not being happy about a 9 hour drive.

I've done 11 hours before and i wouldn't wish it on anyone. That's what multi-driver insurance is for though :)

Agreed, but the way you phrased it did make it sound like you were totally dismissing them for not being happy about a 9 hour drive.

Nothing was said about them being unhappy about a 9 hour drive by anyone. A 9 hour drive was brought up, and I stated that a journey of that length is nothing, really. Mountain out of a non-existent molehill, dude.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

9 hour drive sounds pretty shit to be honest. I was in a bus to London to go to a gig (just a passenger) and it took 14 hours. 14 fucking hours in a minibus that didn't have a toilet. That's what we got from the fuckers we bought tickets from. The drivers were moaning that we wanted to stop for a piss more than like twice.

We left at about midnight on a Friday night - everyone fully expecting a decent bus with a toilet, so we understandably had had a few bevvies on the Friday evening. Then this shitty little minibus turns up. Awesome. Then the dicks got lost in London trying to find Finsbury Park. Added a good hour and a half on our already long journey.

Guest idol_wild

Too much focus on the 9 hour drive they had. They weren't that bummed about it. It was just a concern.

Either way, they were fucking magnificent.

How the guitarist remembers all those notes he fits in is beyond me. I guess that's what they call ability!

I missed the two capo business! Wasn't paying enough attention to the guitarist I guess. Loved their set though. Balls tight. The last two songs were awesome.

I was told the same thing about the drum sound. A little too big. Someone mentioned Phil Collins in reference to the drum sound. I have time for some Collins but wouldn't want him in there as part of the Kartta sound. Sorry Collins, not at this time.

First time I'd seen Y Change Costume. Loved it. The 3rd tune with the bass tapping was frickin sweet!

COTC put in a great set too. Vocals are quite sweet and the tunes are very poppy. A good bill all in all.

Sound on stage was good and I really enjoyed playing on Saturday.

the ttng guys had a blast from what i could gather.

when they arrived they said they expected the worst - valentines day and the fact its the furthest north theyve played but were looking forward to playing. They seemed pretty quiet guys to be honest so maybe thats why they seemed underwhelmed but they came up at the end and said theyd had a great night then they went back to phillipos.

we had a presale of 13 - which wasnt looking good.

but luckily we managed to get a grand total of 87 people in! which i think is quite respectable to be honest for a valentines night show for a relatively low key band.

obviously in a smaller venue this would have been better but at the same time, it was a good gig nonetheless.

i dont understand the issues with the sound, the bands all got a decent soundcheck and aaron is a top engineer. he was constantly nipping down to the dancefloor to check levels and listen to the room so its not like he was just sitting picking his arse.

i thought it sounded fine but then i was standing at the sound booth, maybe its different down the front.

all in all, i thought it was an ace night and all bands were awesome.

hope they come back.

on another note, they may have had a 9 hour drive but they had the coolest splitter van i have ever seen....

yellow in colour, green trim, perfect for storing gear in the back and apparently it was ex AA so it was in top nick.

i helped them load in and it was so cool i had to ask them about it.

im not a transport freak or anything, i just thought it was cool looking.

maybe i need to get out more.

i felt real bad for TTNG. i thought they put on a decent show despite all looking frigging shattered.

where did all the people who were watching Karrta go? arg! and who was the sound engineer?

I guess alot of people want to hear dry unpanned drums, a flat kick drum matched by an equally unarousing bass and generally a boring no-thrills budget mix..........? sorry i forget everyone's a pro audio engineer on here, either that or you sit in studios allday

The sound engineer was me. This is my number if you'd actually like to discuss my mixing, rather than bitch about it on a internet forum.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
I guess alot of people want to hear dry unpanned drums, a flat kick drum matched by an equally unarousing bass and generally a boring no-thrills budget mix..........? sorry i forget everyone's a pro audio engineer on here, either that or you sit in studios allday

The sound engineer was me. This is my number if you'd actually like to discuss my mixing, rather than bitch about it on a internet forum.

Haha. That's pretty much the ultimate way to answer these posts.

Nice one :up:

geez, chill out man. i absolutely KNEW somehow you'd read that post, make an account that get really wound up about it in a reply. thats why i phrased it the way i did...

i don't think the fact i havn't gone to uni or whatever to do a sound engineering degree really matters to be honest. i just didn't like the way it sounded and i was in the audience, therefore i have the right to an opinion. i'm not saying your your not 100% correct, but me and a few others found the sound particularly off putting.

i don't really know why you've posted your number. even if i came up and told you to your face at the gig what i thought was wrong with the sound you would have undoubtedly told me to "get to ...", so why text/call you about it just for you to 'win' any discussion with technical knowledge?

to be honest, i only wrote that to see if i could provoke a reaction from others at the gig about the sound - some thought it was good (including the bands), some thought it was bad. that's it really, we move on.

• Upvote 2

"bitching on an internet forum" - No, it's called having an opinion.

This is as bad as people putting links to their music on here then bitching when they're given a real opinion rather than everyone telling them they're great.

So you've got a degree or whatever. You've got more technical knowledge than me, big deal I have ears, a brain and I listen to and enjoy a lot of music. Between those things I can form an opinion about what sounds good.

So don't come crying when someone says they thought the sound was rubbish, it's just an opinion.

It's hard not to make the drums in Moshulu sound like Phil Collins with only 87 people in. It's a big room!

Saw Mogwai in Edinburgh and they had a massive reverberant drum sound? Some people like it others don't.

The decision is entirely up to the engineer and band as to how it will sound and if the engineer is totally unfamiliar with the bands music then his/hers idea of what the band should sound like may be something totally different to what the fans are looking for. Myspace has been a bit of a revelation for this but quite often, bands recordings are so over produced that they sound nothing like their live set.

Engineers are always (or should be) learning about how to mix various types of bands. You can only put it into practice and experiment during a gig though. Sometimes things work and sometimes they don't. Quite often there are things that happen that are completely out of the engineers hands and can completely destroy the sound e.g. guitars so loud that they go straight into the vocal mics, drums too loud and doing the same thing and the most common problem - quiet singers!

I got slated on this forum for having too big a reverb on the drums at Danananananakroyd but the TM for the band thought it was great! I'm unfamiliar with their music so obviously I'm going to listen to the people that work with the band. I admit it was far too loud at that gig but it had 2 very loud drummers on stage so it had to be that loud to hear everything else.

• Upvote 1

It's hard not to make the drums in Moshulu sound like Phil Collins with only 87 people in. It's a big room!

Saw Mogwai in Edinburgh and they had a massive reverberant drum sound? Some people like it others don't.

The decision is entirely up to the engineer and band as to how it will sound and if the engineer is totally unfamiliar with the bands music then his/hers idea of what the band should sound like may be something totally different to what the fans are looking for. Myspace has been a bit of a revelation for this but quite often, bands recordings are so over produced that they sound nothing like their live set.

Engineers are always (or should be) learning about how to mix various types of bands. You can only put it into practice and experiment during a gig though. Sometimes things work and sometimes they don't. Quite often there are things that happen that are completely out of the engineers hands and can completely destroy the sound e.g. guitars so loud that they go straight into the vocal mics, drums too loud and doing the same thing and the most common problem - quiet singers!

I got slated on this forum for having too big a reverb on the drums at Danananananakroyd but the TM for the band thought it was great! I'm unfamiliar with their music so obviously I'm going to listen to the people that work with the band. I admit it was far too loud at that gig but it had 2 very loud drummers on stage so it had to be that loud to hear everything else.

i appreciate your honesty. it most likely, as you say, down to the room (in terms of drum sound) because i was convinced you and the other guy were the same engineer!

This is a good post. 100% yes. Quiet singers....sigh.