aberdeen-music

TV Series!!

DJ Jo-D

I never understood the appeal of Only Fools And Horses. It's frequently held up as one of the best sitcoms of all time and I don't get it at all. Del Boy called Rodney a plonker lolololol. Trigger thinks Rodney is called Dave lolololol. Grandad/Uncle Albert is old and stupid and rambles on a bit lolololol.

Community is a pretty smart show. It's fomuliac like most sitcoms. But it's almost a satire of sitcoms. It's very meta.

Which often goes way over the top and becomes one of the downsides of the show. But at its best some of the parodies they do are brilliant and actually the only show I can think of which has parodied popular culture in such a good way is classic Simpsons.

• Upvote 1

Which often goes way over the top and becomes one of the downsides of the show. But at its best some of the parodies they do are brilliant and actually the only show I can think of which has parodied popular culture in such a good way is classic Simpsons.

Paintball episodes, doctor who ripoffs, Troy and Abed in the Morning and "4 seasons and a movie" are among the cleverest things i've seen in sitcoms and made the occasional clunker (and all four seasons had bad episodes) something you should put up with.

Much better watched in chunks of episodes than singly.

• Upvote 1

I watched the first episode of the new HBO series True Detective. It was great and shows potential to be another brilliant show for them.

I intend on watching this. It looks ace. HBO have a few decent looking series' on the go. The gay one (looking?) looks quite promising too - it seems like it's a show with a cast of characters that happen to be gay (and therefore will deal with issues relevant to gay people), rather than the characters being gay to push some kind of point about inequality. I think it'll be an interesting watch.

Well it is. Its bottom feeding TV as far as im concerned. I hate most of those american sit coms, "how i met your mother" and shite like that. Community really did come near the bottom of that pile of rubbish for me. Absolutely terrible. 

I can't believe there's no common ground with you even in the tv thread. The tv thread! I think you might be my opposite in every way possible. At last I found one!

The American vs British thing is interesting. I used to be obsessed with British sitcoms, but (and I'm probably wrong here) we seem to be stuck in a bit of a rut at the moment, whereas America is killing. I think I'm just out of the loop with stuff made over here, though. I've still not seen 'Plebs', for example, despite everyone saying it's ace. I've found that these days I can't stand modern comedy shows with laugh tracks. People can say "it's not canned!" as a defence all they like, but that's not my argument against it. I know the laughter is being made by real audiences, but judging by my one experience of being at a taping, I found I was forcing myself to laugh more than I would have normally, just because it was being recorded. Also, it really feels like you're being told when to laugh and that's balls.

Cool story, bro.

Onyhoo, started watching Nurse Jackie the other night. Edie Falco is so brilliant, I wish she was in everything.

Looking forward to new House of Cards next month.

Edited by kirsten

The only good British sitcom of recent years I can think of is Fresh Meat. It is very good. Otherwise I'd agree that the UK has been lacking in good sitcoms for a while.

Back on MIlner's community hate. The group of crap churned out cringe-worthy sitcoms obviously definitely exists. I just don't think Community is anywhere near that lot.

I can't believe there's no common ground with you even in the tv thread. The tv thread! I think you might be my opposite in every way possible. At last I found one!

The American vs British thing is interesting. I used to be obsessed with British sitcoms, but (and I'm probably wrong here) we seem to be stuck in a bit of a rut at the moment, whereas America is killing. I think I'm just out of the loop with stuff made over here, though. I've still not seen 'Plebs', for example, despite everyone saying it's ace. I've found that these days I can't stand modern comedy shows with laugh tracks. People can say "it's not canned!" as a defence all they like, but that's not my argument against it. I know the laughter is being made by real audiences, but judging by my one experience of being at a taping, I found I was forcing myself to laugh more than I would have normally, just because it was being recorded. Also, it really feels like you're being told when to laugh and that's balls.

Cool story, bro.

Onyhoo, started watching Nurse Jackie the other night. Edie Falco is so brilliant, I wish she was in everything.

Looking forward to new House of Cards next month.

That makes me so happy to read. I dont see why i need to find middle ground over a TV show i hate? I dont expect non star trek fans to sit down a love it, or find a middle ground with me when it comes to how much they enjoy it, why should i do that for Community? 

Its seems people get really defensive over this TV show, not just on here, but online in general, it seems to be one of those where your not allowed to say you dont like it. Strange. 

The only good British sitcom of recent years I can think of is Fresh Meat. It is very good. Otherwise I'd agree that the UK has been lacking in good sitcoms for a while.

Peep Show is the standout for me. It's not that recent, but it's been going a while, and still is. New season this year, which will be the last.

I quite liked Him & Her. It felt like something I shouldn't like, and it got a bit annoying at times, as every episode was pretty much the same, but the wedding finale was good, and totally different from previous seasons.

Not a sitcom, but The Revolution Will Be Televised was good fun. Dale Maily is a great comedy character. He should have his own sitcom

That makes me so happy to read. I dont see why i need to find middle ground over a TV show i hate? I dont expect non star trek fans to sit down a love it, or find a middle ground with me when it comes to how much they enjoy it, why should i do that for Community? 

Its seems people get really defensive over this TV show, not just on here, but online in general, it seems to be one of those where your not allowed to say you dont like it. Strange. 

You're only allowed to say you don't like community if you don't like smart sitcoms and prefer shit like TBBT. But if you don't like smart sitcoms you probably shouldn't own a tv. x