aberdeen-music

Mmmmmm Om Nom Nom Nom

DJ Jo-D

I'm having a bash at making some home made ketchup this weekend. It'll hopefully be a bit more like the middle ground between a ketchup and a relish. Not too smooth, not too chunky. I've got a decent recipe as a backbone, but I'm gonna try and toy with it. I've got the idea stuck in my head of putting a bit of apple into the mix, so I'm gonna run with that and see how it goes.

Going to drop out the brown and caster sugar from the recipe and replace with sweeteners, as the whole reason for wanting to make a home made ketchup is that the regular stuff is crammed with sugar and all kinds of garbage.

How did this work out? I consume a horrific amount of ketchup and wouldn't mind trying my hand at making a healthier alternative.

I made a really nice Chicken Jalfrezi last week that is easy to make and tastes great. It wasn't very spicy (which is fine for me cos I don't like spicy food) so if you like your curries hot I would double or even triple the chili powder. It was really zesty from all the coriander.... lovely :)

Ingredients (feeds 2-3)

750g chicken

2 cloves garlic

1 onion

6 tomatoes

3 tsp ground coriander

3 tsp ground turmeric

3 tsp cumin

1 tsp red chili powder

1 tsp salt

2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger (you can buy it pre-grated in a jar if you're lazy)

25gm fresh coriander leaves

Olive oil

Method:

Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or wok

Chop the onion and garlic and bang it in a blender to make a paste.

Fry the onion and garlic paste for 3 minutes.

Dice the chicken and add it into the pan, along with the turmeric, chili powder, and salt.

Fry for 10 minutes.

Chop the tomatoes and put them into the blender, and blend into a rough liquid (you still want some chunks to give it consistency).

Add the tomatoes, cover and simmer on low/medium heat for 20 minutes.

Chop or tear the coriander leaves, and add them to the pan, along with the ground coriander, the cumin and the grated ginger. Mix it through, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

Serve it with rice and naan bread. Lovely!

I made a really nice Chicken Jalfrezi last week that is easy to make and tastes great. It wasn't very spicy (which is fine for me cos I don't like spicy food) so if you like your curries hot I would double or even triple the chili powder. It was really zesty from all the coriander.... lovely :)

Ingredients (feeds 2-3)

750g chicken

2 cloves garlic

1 onion

6 tomatoes

3 tsp ground coriander

3 tsp ground turmeric

3 tsp cumin

1 tsp red chili powder

1 tsp salt

2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger (you can buy it pre-grated in a jar if you're lazy)

25gm fresh coriander leaves

Olive oil

Method:

Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or wok

Chop the onion and garlic and bang it in a blender to make a paste.

Fry the onion and garlic paste for 3 minutes.

Dice the chicken and add it into the pan, along with the turmeric, chili powder, and salt.

Fry for 10 minutes.

Chop the tomatoes and put them into the blender, and blend into a rough liquid (you still want some chunks to give it consistency).

Add the tomatoes, cover and simmer on low/medium heat for 20 minutes.

Chop or tear the coriander leaves, and add them to the pan, along with the ground coriander, the cumin and the grated ginger. Mix it through, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

Serve it with rice and naan bread. Lovely!

That sounds nice. givin it a go for sure.

The cumin, coriander, turmeric, chilli combo can be used in tonnes of dishes. definitely must-have spices.

The cumin, coriander, turmeric, chilli combo can be used in tonnes of dishes. definitely must-have spices.

yip I have large bags of all from Mathews (altho not corriander...but I don't mind the gorund stuff) oh and paprika all for about a 1.20 each ace! Must go back there for more SUPPLIES!

Got an onion soup recipe from a TV show I'm absolutely addicted to at the moment called Good Eats. There are about a million episodes and they are all on youtube. It's a mix of science, recipes and general tips about cooking.

The soup turned out really well. I made it for two so quantities will vary.

4-5 sliced onions (it looks like far too much onion but it works)

white wine

cider

beef stock

a bouquet garni (can use whatever herbs you prefer.. I only had thyme and some parsley)

for the toppin: (the best bit)

bread and cheese

method:

chuck the onions into a pan with loads of butter and leave on a low heat for ages until they have gone brown... no need to stir much.

when they are brown, turn up the heat and add enough wine to come up to the level of the onions

reduce for five mins

add a glug of cider, beef stock and the bouquet garni.

simmer for bout 10 mins

whilst it's simmering cut out a slice of bread with the bowl you are going to use for serving so you have a disc of bread that fits the bowl

grill that bad boy on one side

Take out the herbs

pour the soup into your bowl and place the bread toasted side down on top.

cover with cheese and grill the top till the cheese has melted nicely.

finally, eat dat shit.

cracking through a cheesy toasty layer is a nice way to eat soup.

That sounds nice. givin it a go for sure.

It was beautiful, tasted really lovely and fresh. The next night I was in a rush and used a jar of Uncle Bens sweet and sour sauce, which just tasted processed (you couldn't taste any of the seperate ingredients, just the sauce), and had a worrying amount of preservatives and colourings and additives.... much much better with fresh ingredients.

Fondue is probably my favourite food (I used to live in the Alps and ate it about once a week)

and it is really easy.

one of those slow cookers works fine, no need for fancy equipment.

Gruyere and Emmental are the best mix of cheeses in my opinion. (Raclette cheese is awesome but impossible to get a hold of in Scotland)

cheese in the pot with wine and a wee bit of cornflour melt slowly and stir up.

You can freestyle all the rest to your taste (galric, herbs, bacon, etc)

I really want to make my own cheese fondue, I had some beatiful fondues in Switzerland recently that were just simply the best thing I've ever tasted.... mostly just cheese, wine, herbs and sometimes tomatoes or mushrooms.

I just got a fondue set from my friend after saying I fancied a fondue night, quite big one too

Oils with ginger n garlic & chillies for meats mmmm

Chocolate with mini doughnuts and marshmallows

mmmmmm belly is starting to rumble!!

Lidls is a good place to get varied cheeses at reasonable prices, I made Jamie O's macaroni which is made purely from pasta n various cheeses and it cost me a fortune going to Sommerfields/Markies...cause they were the only two places in town centre to try for the cheese!

I really want to make my own cheese fondue, I had some beatiful fondues in Switzerland recently that were just simply the best thing I've ever tasted.... mostly just cheese, wine, herbs and sometimes tomatoes or mushrooms.

Agreed. I think the best food I've ever eaten has been in Switzerland and the Savoyarde area of France. I stopped eating meat last year and I was across for a wedding in the Swiss/French border area and just ate a dangerous amount of Fondue, I think about 40% of my vital organs were made up of Gruyere by the time I flew back.

Just to balance things-up. :p

1510673967b01e7605b3gc5.jpg

This is not just a Wendy's burger. This is a Wendy's Triple Double Challenge Burger.

It has six, quarter pound ground beef patties. That's 1.5 pounds of greasy fast food meat and at 2000 calories, contains the entire recommended daily calorie intake- in one burger. mmmmmmmmmmm

:)

Just to balance things-up. :p

1510673967b01e7605b3gc5.jpg

This is not just a Wendy's burger. This is a Wendy's Triple Double Challenge Burger.

It has six, quarter pound ground beef patties. That's 1.5 pounds of greasy fast food meat and at 2000 calories, contains the entire recommended daily calorie intake- in one burger. mmmmmmmmmmm

:)

That looks fucking horrible :puke: though admittedly I did go to Burger King last night for a sweet chili chicken royale. I'm not proud of it, but I was hungry and in a hurry. I've never made my own burgers, I think I'll try that this weekend. Anyone got a good recipe?

That looks fucking horrible :puke: though admittedly I did go to Burger King last night for a sweet chili chicken royale. I'm not proud of it, but I was hungry and in a hurry. I've never made my own burgers, I think I'll try that this weekend. Anyone got a good recipe?

burger king if rubbish (altho not much worse than McD's nowadays) had the yucky experience on the way home from a festival, in the dirty greasy resturant asking the spotty unhygenic looking staff for a whopper...got told no burgers...had to double take and confirmt o myself where I was...ordered a chicken royale...one bite and binned it, more mayo than chicken bread went soggy, disgusting, never been back

my pal has an ultr fine pork & rosemary burger recipe I will try n lynch from her!

Anyone got a good recipe?

Buy some mince, dice an onion. Chuck both in a bowl (you probably won't want to use all the onion, use your judgement), season heavily and chuck in some extras if you want (spices and herbs, myabe some bits of roast pepper). Add some olive oil to help it stick together then mix it all up and squish into burger shapes.

Piece of piss.

That looks fucking horrible :puke:

I must admit that my first thought on seeing that was - "Yeast Infection?" o_O

Dead easy to make your own good burgers - See Chris's recipe.

One thing, go to a good butcher & ask for lean steak mince - Less fatty & a better texture.

You can also use egg as a binder instead of olive oil.

Buy some mince, dice an onion. Chuck both in a bowl (you probably won't want to use all the onion, use your judgement), season heavily and chuck in some extras if you want (spices and herbs, myabe some bits of roast pepper). Add some olive oil to help it stick together then mix it all up and squish into burger shapes.

Piece of piss.

Is the piece of piss part of the recipe? Cos that sounds gross.