aberdeen-music

Mmmmmm Om Nom Nom Nom

DJ Jo-D

Weird!!!! I made my first ever roast last night as well! Roast beef with roast tatties, parsnips and carrots, with gravy. It was fucking lovely, even if I did forget the Yorkshire puddings.

mmm parsnips!! I cheated with theyorkies, but in the best possbile way - Aunt Bessie....

But then I also made Tomato and Cumin soup for a starter, and got my chicken marinading in a tandoori sauce for tonight.....think I made too much food

Is it better to freeze stovies after made or freeze the meat (cooked) and make fresh?? anyone had any past experiences??

mmm parsnips!! I cheated with theyorkies, but in the best possbile way - Aunt Bessie....

Yorkshires are really, really easy to make and much better than the ones out of a packet.

If I can get the picture off my phone I'll post up the pic of my first attempt at Yorkshire Pudding a few months ago.

Yorkshires are really, really easy to make and much better than the ones out of a packet.

If I can get the picture off my phone I'll post up the pic of my first attempt at Yorkshire Pudding a few months ago.

I will give it a bash in the future, wouldn't of had room for another tray even if I could be arsed :)

hot oil I believe is the key!?

One of the things I make with great regularity is Carrot and Coriander soup. It bares no resemblance to the crap you get in a can, or the tasteless pap you buy in tubs. It's also quick, easy and cheap.

Ingredients:

1kg-1.2kg carrots.

A wee pack of fresh coriander

Dried Cumin

Dried Coriander

1 x Onion

Veggie stock cubes

Instructions:

Roughly chop the onion and place in a large pot with a little olive oil on a low heat. Leave it to brown whilst you deal with the carrots.

Peel and very roughly chop the lot (it's all being blitzed with a hand blender at the end anyway).

Chuck them in the pan with the onions, crank the temperature up and add roughly 2 big tablespoons of dry coriander and 1 large table spoon of cumin. Stir every 30 seconds or so just until the herbs have started sticking to everything and the carrots have softened slightly (about 5 minutes).

Add boiling water, fill it up so that the carrots are just covered. Chuck about 3 veggie stock cubes in there. Don't worry about them breaking down, the vanish into the mix when it's simmering.

Put a lid on and leave on a low heat for 40 minutes.

Roughly chop about three quarters of your coriander and chuck it in. Attack it with a hand blender, season to taste and kapow! Soup!

Use the last of the coriander as garnish.

Coriander ruins perfectly good carrot soup. :(

I made a Carrot and Coriander soup last night, with a different recipe to that one above. I also added parsnips, because parsnips are ace. Also, a bit of fromage frais to give it a thicker, creamier consistency.

I've only had a quick taste, but it was mint. So, that's my tea for tonight.

Last night I also hand blended some grated cheese, onion, chives and sour cream and put it in a sandwich with a bit of tomato, cucumber, spring onion and humous. That's todays lunch. It's sat right infront of me. Can't wait for lunch time.

I made vegetable soup last night. 4 carrots and 2 parsnips (leftover from Sunday's roast), and a red onion I found cowering at the back of the fridge. Peel and chop everything, fry it until the onion is brown and the carrots are starting to soften, bung it all in a saucepan, add a litre and a half of boiling water, 3 vegetable stock cubes, salt, pepper, parlsey and coriander.

Put the lid on, gently simmer for an hour, then put it through a blender.

Should make about 8 bowls, and it's good.

Soup's so easy, as long as you have two vegetables and some stock cubes you can make a nice soup from anything. Carrot and onion go in anything.

Coriander ruins perfectly good carrot soup. :(

I'm with you there, corriander is one of the things I just can't stand like a metaly taste!! My other dislike (altho not so much as I don't like them more of a phobia) is Mushrooms - freaks me out totally!

Made Tandoori chicken :

Marinade overnight chicken breasts in a mix of Youghurt, tblsp oil, squeeze lemon & Tandoori Spices (best to get tandoori from Matthew Chinese Supermarket 1.30ish for massive bag)

Make sure the marinade is red in colour.

Chuck in the oven @ 180 30/40mins - serve with rice, mango chutney & nann mmmmm

Tonight trying to make Stovies!! mmmmm hope they work!

Right on. Especially if you smush it up in a blender. Then it's just unrecognisable slop! Perfect for soup.

My fucking blender broke last night as I was blending the soup. The blade fell out INTO the soup, while still rotating at a frightening speed! Lesson: Asda smart-price blenders fear smushy carrots. Also they aren't very safe. Also, keep the reciept if it's only 2 months old like mine is. Also, spend more than 4 and get a better blender next time.

That's something I'd like the recipe for. If all goes well, post your method up here :)

Stovies:

peel tatties (4 or 5 small to medium ones will do for two people)

slice 1 small onion/half a large onion

roughly slice tatties into thin and thick chunks

fry onion in lots of veggie oil in a large pan until soft

add the tatties and shredded beef (either leftover roast, leftover from soup or cheat and use roast beef slices from a packet if you're stuck. Don't use fucking corned beef)

season heavily

add 400ml of beef stock

stick lid on the pan and simmer on a medium heat stirring occasionally until it's all mushy

serve with oatcakes and brown sauce.

• Upvote 1

My fucking blender broke last night as I was blending the soup. The blade fell out INTO the soup, while still rotating at a frightening speed! Lesson: Asda smart-price blenders fear smushy carrots. Also they aren't very safe. Also, keep the reciept if it's only 2 months old like mine is. Also, spend more than 4 and get a better blender next time.

On a similar note, I once stood on a food processor blade. Warning to all: Do not do this - It causes much blood to be lost, and much pain. (And a nice hole through your foot, if you're lucky!)

On a similar note, I once stood on a food processor blade. Warning to all: Do not do this - It causes much blood to be lost, and much pain. (And a nice hole through your foot, if you're lucky!)

I once stood barefoot on the upturned plug of a tumble dryer, which led to three neat holes in the bottom of my foot and a lot of swearing. It hurt like a motherfucker.

Stovies:

peel tatties (4 or 5 small to medium ones will do for two people)

slice 1 small onion/half a large onion

roughly slice tatties into thin and thick chunks

fry onion in lots of veggie oil in a large pan until soft

add the tatties and shredded beef (either leftover roast, leftover from soup or cheat and use roast beef slices from a packet if you're stuck. Don't use fucking corned beef)

season heavily

add 400ml of beef stock

stick lid on the pan and simmer on a medium heat stirring occasionally until it's all mushy

serve with oatcakes and brown sauce.

ace cheers, sounds along the lines of what I was aiming for altho htought onionsin butter might be good...but you stipulated lots of oil...any reason for this or just your method?

mmmmmmmmm

ace cheers, sounds along the lines of what I was aiming for altho htought onionsin butter might be good...but you stipulated lots of oil...any reason for this or just your method?

mmmmmmmmm

Can't remember the exact reason, but I seem to remember the original recipe I got it from said to use enough oil/lard/dripping to fry the onions then coat the tatties once you add them and give them a stir.

Don't imagine it makes a lot of difference as once you've added the stock the whole lot's going to stew, not fry. Guess it added more flavour into the spuds if you were using more traditional sources of lubricant.

I basically cobbled together the recipe from some traditional sources online, a couple of more modern cheffy versions I found in some books I had and my own instincts as to how I like my stovies.

Can't remember the exact reason, but I seem to remember the original recipe I got it from said to use enough oil/lard/dripping to fry the onions then coat the tatties once you add them and give them a stir.

Don't imagine it makes a lot of difference as once you've added the stock the whole lot's going to stew, not fry. Guess it added more flavour into the spuds if you were using more traditional sources of lubricant.

I basically cobbled together the recipe from some traditional sources online, a couple of more modern cheffy versions I found in some books I had and my own instincts as to how I like my stovies.

Noice cheers, adaptation is they way forward!!!

Will let you know how I get on!!