aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Guest davetherave

Not if they are OAP's or folk barely reaching 1 mph they dont . Same can be said for some OAP drivers!

The council should provide decent cycle lanes to allow tax paying motorists to get from A to B without SOME slow moving cyclists getting in the way.

Not if they are OAP's or folk barely reaching 1 mph they dont . Same can be said for some OAP drivers!

The council should provide decent cycle lanes to allow tax paying motorists to get from A to B without SOME slow moving cyclists getting in the way.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/bike-blog/2011/nov/22/cycling-road-tax-confused also i'm trying to start cycling to work soon and being the fatty that I am I will be slow. Suck it. Totally agree on your earlier point about cars not indicating. Hope you indicate for pedestrians too.

Guest davetherave

I probably sound like a complete bastard on the roads, I'm not really? I give cyclists/motorbikes lots of room and even let folk out at junctions, always stop at Zebra crossings and I've not run over any pedestrians or cyclists.....yet ;)

• Upvote 1

It is the adopted method of some cyclists to use the road and travel through crossings when the lights are green as a car would one minute and then adopt the role of a pedestrian and cross when the lights are at red that annoys me.

This mainly frustrates me, as a cyclist can - far slower than the posted speed limit - travel in front of a car, obstructing the ability of the vehicle to turn left at the approaching junction, then the cyclist continues through said junction when the vehicles behind are required to stop due to the lights changing to allow pedestrians to cross. Said cyclist then cuts up the pedestrians within this time period.

In other words, I don't mind cyclists being on the road, I just wish they would decide to adhere to the highway code which cars have to if they are going to choose to share the road.

• Upvote 1

Good idea - maybe they could make wide ones, so that those slow moving buses could use them too...

Fair point about the pedestrian crossings at roundabout exits. They're everywhere and always seemed dangerous to me. Exactly when cars are accelerating off the roundabout, they have to stop again, causing traffic to back up on the roundabout itself. Seems to be quite an Aberdeen thing, never seen it anywhere else to the same extent.

Said it before I'm sure, but my driving pet hate is when a car is stopped with a huge queue of cars stuck behind them, waiting to turn right against a flow of traffic, and not one of the oncoming cars will let them across. All it needs is one of them to just brake slightly to make a gap, and flash their lights, then carry on their way without being delayed in the slightest. Again, this seems to be an Aberdeen thing, least helpful drivers ever. God forbid you need to change lanes on a dual carriageway. Quite often you'll see drivers actually speed up to close a gap rather than let anyone in.

It is the adopted method of some cyclists to use the road and travel through crossings when the lights are green as a car would one minute and then adopt the role of a pedestrian and cross when the lights are at red that annoys me.

This mainly frustrates me, as a cyclist can - far slower than the posted speed limit - travel in front of a car, obstructing the ability of the vehicle to turn left at the approaching junction, then the cyclist continues through said junction when the vehicles behind are required to stop due to the lights changing to allow pedestrians to cross. Said cyclist then cuts up the pedestrians within this time period.

In other words, I don't mind cyclists being on the road, I just wish they would decide to adhere to the highway code which cars have to if they are going to choose to share the road.

I've been in a car with you sunshine. There was a few bits of the highway code that had slipped your mind. Audi bint.

• Upvote 1

Guest davetherave
God forbid you need to change lanes on a dual carriageway. Quite often you'll see drivers actually speed up to close a gap rather than let anyone in.

Unfortunately true, same thing when a lane is closed and folk are supposed to merge in turn? My other pet hate is folk sitting in the outside (fast) lane at around 45-55 mph in a 60-70 zone unaware of the cars behind them, which means the only way past is to undertake them!

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately true, same thing when a lane is closed and folk are supposed to merge in turn? My other pet hate is folk sitting in the outside (fast) lane at around 45-55 mph in a 60-70 zone unaware of the cars behind them, which means the only way past is to undertake them!

This happens all the time on the Kingswells to Westhill dual carriageway. Idiots thinking they can sit in the "fast lane" because they are going to Westhill. Get out of my way!

• Upvote 1

it's the benefit 'we' get for not polluting the world with our gas-guzzling ozone killers.

Pet Hate: motorists who PARK IN CYCLE LANES.

Guest Gladstone

I'm sure I've mentioned the point about pedestrian crossings / traffic lights after roundabouts in Aberdeen before in this thread (if I haven't it will be a miracle because it is my biggest annoyance about Aberdeen).

Holy fucking shit. The sheer number of traffic lights is ridiculous. There are already too many traffic lights between AECC and Union Street without adding the pedestrian crossings 10 yards either side of every fucking roundabout. And 20 yards up the road from a perfectly good set of traffic lights serving another purpose at a junction. I bet if you removed the pedestrian crossings from the roundabouts (as a starting point) traffic would flow far easier up and down King Street. You could probably take away quite a few of the other traffic lights / pedestrian crossings along that stretch of road too. And make sure that instead of having traffic lights at junctions AND separate pedestrian crossings, that you fucking double up and put pedestrian crossings at the junctions and just add in a 30 second pedestrian crossing (only if there are actually pedestrians there and have pressed the button - i.e. not just automatically as part of the cycle). And while you're at it, make sure the little cameras/sensors on the traffic lights can actually tell that there are cars there. For example at the likes of the Lidl car park just back from Bridge of Don, the lights change there when there are no cars coming out of the car park. That also shouldn't be the entrance / exit - it is poorly thought out. There's traffic lights just back from that at the T junction, then there's the Lidl car park, then there's the traffic lights at the T-junction that takes you down to the Beach (just before the Bridge) then there's traffic lights just over the bridge for the junction that takes you to Balgownie. They should have thought that out better and made the Lidl entrances round the back or something. Am I also right in saying there's a pedestrian fucking crossing in between two of those junctions? Beside the Seaton flats? Fucking morons.

Weight loss. Living on raw fruit and veg juice for a week, because I'm obviously far too happy and need to take one of the best things about life away from myself. If I stopped wanking I'd kill myself and everyone around me before the end of the week.

I could give you many reasons why this is a dumb idea that won't really help your weightloss, and how there are plenty of other healthier ways to shed the pounds that won't take particularly long.

Guest Gladstone
I use this road every day Gladstone, yours was a most excellent rant :)

I used to use it everyday. I contemplated driving off the bridge almost everyday...

Another on topic pet hate is sitting in traffic approaching a roundabout. You get close to a pedestrain crossing and even though the traffic isn't moving some utter shitbag presses the button, looks across spots there's no cars moving then crosses. Traffic starts moving and BOOM the lights change as you get to them leaving you screaming as the cars in front of you whip off round the roundabout and into the horizon as NOBODY crosses the road. All whilst this smug button pressing cunt wanders up the road wondering what he's going to have for supper when he gets in.