aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

My original pet hate was folk turning up at the train station with a wee thermos cup of coffee in a kooky 'so mad for coffee I can't wait 20 minute sto get to work' style and this just took a huge detour into hatred of coffee in general. I'm distancing myself after this - said beverage container is not filled with any 'franchise' coffee because there are no 'franchises' in Stanehive and the coffee shops that exist sure aren't open pre-7am. So they must have filled it at home. Let's hope it's not instant coffee and if it's ground coffee let's hope they got the mixture right, eh?

Actually, anyone who gets up that early and takes time to make fresh coffee to take to the train station is even more of a mentalist.

Who knew coffee would become such an explosive issue? I can't understand why anyone would get so worked up over it as that guy Flight's encountered in the supermarket.

It's just as annoying as wine snobbery.

There's some really really awful wine out there though. I'm not a snob about it though because I don't know which ones are bad. I just buy whatever is reduced to £5. Knowing it used to cost more than a fiver makes me think it must be exquisite. Sometimes, even at RRP £10 wine, you still get a mouth full of vinegar.

You say that as if it takes an age to make fresh coffee. Using a cafetiere, it probably takes 3 minutes more than making instant coffee. Probably quicker than standing in the line at a Starbucks. Hating someone who makes his own coffee to drink in the morning sounds a bit more mental than the person drinking it.

Maybe so. I was thinking of the extent of grinding beans, etc.

This is the Pet Hates thread, not 'Pet Hates, subject to approval by Soda Jerk'.

• Upvote 3

Wanting something that tastes half decent is okay, that wasn't what I really meant by wine snobbery. It's that some people who really get into wine and do all the sniffing and swirling and analysing flavours blah blah sometimes act that regular folk aren't worthy of good wine because they don't "understand" it. Also I believe that there are loads of people who just pretend to know what they're talking about by copying something they saw / heard on tv. I also hate it when you see a wine glass that's the size of a football served with thimble's worth of wine in it. Just give me a normal glass and serve it up to the top!

Wanting something that tastes half decent is okay, that wasn't what I really meant by wine snobbery. It's that some people who really get into wine and do all the sniffing and swirling and analysing flavours blah blah sometimes act that regular folk aren't worthy of good wine because they don't "understand" it. Also I believe that there are loads of people who just pretend to know what they're talking about by copying something they saw / heard on tv. I also hate it when you see a wine glass that's the size of a football served with thimble's worth of wine in it. Just give me a normal glass and serve it up to the top!

See also real ale, associated brewing techniques, etc....who gives a shite, it either tastes decent or like cats piss mixed with tramps arse sweat.

I do the whole swirl, smell and sip thing if I'm drinking nice wine, because I like nice wine. It's nice.

That said, I'm not one of those dicks who claims to find notes of "buttered toast" and "tree bark" (both of those I've actually heard people say) in wine. If I'm drinking a bottle of co-op own brand for £5 (reduced from £10, obv) then yeah, take a large glass and fill her up!

xx

I just buy whatever is reduced to £5.

Schoolboy error.

Supermarket wine reductions usually involve wine that's only valued at the reduced price. So it's not such a good deal. Usually you'll get a better quality wine if you just buy one that's around the £5-6 mark anyway.

I also hate it when you see a wine glass that's the size of a football served with thimble's worth of wine in it. Just give me a normal glass and serve it up to the top!

That's something to do with aerating the wine and allowing it to breathe so it tastes the best it can, like popping a splash of water into a nice whisky for example.

Schoolboy error.

Supermarket wine reductions usually involve wine that's only valued at the reduced price. So it's not such a good deal. Usually you'll get a better quality wine if you just buy one that's around the £5-6 mark anyway.

Aye, this. Usually they have it in for the first month and charge £10 for it and no-one buys it. After the first month its reduced, usually to a price that is still too high. They then plonk on a "fancy" label that says Castillo del Reyes (or fitever, y'ken), to make it seem like a unique valley wine, when really it was made in a warehouse by sweaty French guys standing on table grapes. I find the Selected by Tesco wines to be decent though. Genuinely.

Whistling is shit. Because I can't do it.

I really know very little about wine, almost nothing actually. It's only in the last few years I've drunk it much but even a year or so ago when asked what type of wine I had been drinking I answered "red" with no clue he was looking for something a little more specific. Thankfully living in a wine producing country means it is quite easy to find something decent at quite a cheap price. There's plenty of 2 or 3 euro bottles I'll happily drink.

Schoolboy error.

It still gets knocked back anyway, so I'm not really fussed. It ends up being good most of the time though. I know Morrisons especially are sincere with their pricing and how they reduce certain wines. Plenty of wines that are genuinely £10 will get chopped down a few quid or even half price. Good stuff like Wolf Blass.