aberdeen-music

The Underkills signed to EMI!!

Guest calumunderkills

No, they are guys I went to school with. There's three brothers, when they were younger the 3 of them and their parents were a family Christian folk band. Then in their teens somehow all three of them ended up becoming heroin addicts (the joys of Fraserburgh). Then the three of them all got shipped to a Jesus camp in Wales and got clean. I only knew the youngest one and the middle one, they are really fine guys (or at least they were when I knew them, I haven't seen them in years).

Somebody wrote a book about them actually, it's really churchy but it's a good book.

Ambassador-Emerald - Product: Out of the Deep

I was at the book launch in the Broch. Nice folk, the parents were totally torn apart during the time that the boys were using. Just goes to show what 'ach I'll jist give a go this once' could lead to.

Guest calumunderkills

We (well I) billed us as the best unsigned band in Aberdeen to try and get folk to come!! I'll admit that that was maybe a little silly on the Aberdeen Music forum because it's full of people in other bands from Aberdeen!

At the end of the day, people will make what they want of our band and our name. I personally think we're really good, along with loads of other bands in Aberdeen.

I'm not on here trying to make enemies of people.

I'm actually trying to get like-minded people to get together and try and really make something of the aberdeen music scene because there are so many good bands!

Like I said on another post, I'm going to be working with the Lemon Tree to increase the profile of all the best local bands, and I'll be taking that on the road around the country as well. I'm not wallowing in my self-importance, I'm just trying to do something for all the good bands in Aberdeen.

This thread was supposed to a bit of a laugh, and although I know the guy above won't literally smash my face in with a brick, it's a really stupid thing to say, just because I posted a thread title that made folk take notice.

Lighten up folks - you don't need to read the Underkills forum threads or any of my posts if you don't want to.

And, one other point on the Dykeenies gig - we'd only been gigging for about 6-7 months by the time we got that gig and I was understandably excited!

We (well I) billed us as the best unsigned band in Aberdeen to try and get folk to come!! I'll admit that that was maybe a little silly on the Aberdeen Music forum because it's full of people in other bands from Aberdeen!

At the end of the day, people will make what they want of our band and our name. I personally think we're really good, along with loads of other bands in Aberdeen.

I'm not on here trying to make enemies of people.

I'm actually trying to get like-minded people to get together and try and really make something of the aberdeen music scene because there are so many good bands!

Like I said on another post, I'm going to be working with the Lemon Tree to increase the profile of all the best local bands, and I'll be taking that on the road around the country as well. I'm not wallowing in my self-importance, I'm just trying to do something for all the good bands in Aberdeen.

This thread was supposed to a bit of a laugh, and although I know the guy above won't literally smash my face in with a brick, it's a really stupid thing to say, just because I posted a thread title that made folk take notice.

Lighten up folks - you don't need to read the Underkills forum threads or any of my posts if you don't want to.

And, one other point on the Dykeenies gig - we'd only been gigging for about 6-7 months by the time we got that gig and I was understandably excited!

Well you've certainly got folk about talking about you, and they say there's no such thing as bad publicity. You're name is in everyone's heads now.

Guest calumunderkills
Hey Underkills boyo, are you lot entering the battle of the bands at drummonds this year???

I doubt it very much. It sounds like it will be a good battle of the bands, as it's being run by Justin Martin who's obviously "one of us" but we've had bad experiences at Battle of the Bands before and there's no way I'll convince my band mates to play!! :up:

Guest calumunderkills
Well you've certainly got folk about talking about you, and they say there's no such thing as bad publicity. You're name is in everyone's heads now.

Yeah, there is that, but I don't want folk talking about me saying that guy from the Underkills is a dick etc etc.

I'm not a dick, honest...!

I'm one of the good guys, and I really do want to help all the Aberdeen bands and increase their profile. I'm at the beginning of a masterplan right now, and hopefully in a few months time, the Aberdeen Music Scene will be buzzing, and all the good bands that are out there will get the credit they deserve. :up:

Yeah, there is that, but I don't want folk talking about me saying that guy from the Underkills is a dick etc etc.

I'm not a dick, honest...!

I'm one of the good guys, and I really do want to help all the Aberdeen bands and increase their profile. I'm at the beginning of a masterplan right now, and hopefully in a few months time, the Aberdeen Music Scene will be buzzing, and all the good bands that are out there will get the credit they deserve. :up:

To be honest its statements like that that may make people say you are a dick.

Don't get me wrong I like your confidence and you seem to have a clear idea of where you want to get but you sound like your telling the rest of us that you are the only guy that can get Aberdeens music scene taken seriously.

P.S I dont think you are a dick. Im just making a point.

Guest calumunderkills
To be honest its statements like that that may make people say you are a dick.

Don't get me wrong I like your confidence and you seem to have a clear idea of where you want to get but you sound like your telling the rest of us that you are the only guy that can get Aberdeens music scene taken seriously.

P.S I dont think you are a dick. Im just making a point.

I know. It's difficult to come across the right way on a forum. I don't think I'm the only one taking the Aberdeen music scene seriously or the only one who can get it taken seriously, all I'm saying is I'm doing my best and trying to help all the bands. I think we should all work together on it, and have less of the slagging off of other people's bands etc.

At the end of the day, we all have different tastes in music, and there are bound to be plenty of people who think my band is shit, but we're all trying to achieve the same thing, and I reckon we should all stick together and try to make something of the talent we've got.

I know everyone has their own ideas of how we should do it, but all I'm saying is that I've managed to make positive steps with the Lemon Tree in particular, and we could do something really good with it if everyone gets behind it etc.

Incidentally, if any bands want to play at future Indie-Cent Exposure nights, please get in touch, and we can arrange for you to send demos or mp3's, whatever. The nights are going to be going monthly as of February, so there will be 4 different local bands on once a month at the Lemon Tree, and I want to keep the line ups fresh every month, so it's not the same 8 or 9 bands on a rotation cos that will just get boring!

:up:

At the end of the day, we all have different tastes in music, and there are bound to be plenty of people who think my band is shit, but we're all trying to achieve the same thing, and I reckon we should all stick together and try to make something of the talent we've got.

:up:

So what is this magical thing that we're all trying to pursue?! Money? Fame? Making the word 'Aberdeen' synonymous with selling yer gran to get 10 punters through the door?

i have just read all the posts up until now!!! what a waste of 5 minutes!

im totally amazed that some guys on here can spend so much time taking the piss out of someone that is just trying to sell his band and his band night at the lemon tree, and in doing so also getting bands from aberdeen some stage time, which hasnt been easy to do lately (due to number of bands on the go and such little number of venues available)

i personally have never seen the underkills play yet, but i admire the work there doing to get themselves noticed on the aberdeen scene, it takes a lot of time and generally a lot of money too.

Guest calumunderkills
i have just read all the posts up until now!!! what a waste of 5 minutes!

im totally amazed that some guys on here can spend so much time taking the piss out of someone that is just trying to sell his band and his band night at the lemon tree, and in doing so also getting bands from aberdeen some stage time, which hasnt been easy to do lately (due to number of bands on the go and such little number of venues available)

i personally have never seen the underkills play yet, but i admire the work there doing to get themselves noticed on the aberdeen scene, it takes a lot of time and generally a lot of money too.

I was trying to leave this thread alone, because people are taking it the totally wrong way.

But like the man says, all I'm trying to do is promote my band, get the name out there, etc. Hopefully some people will click on the link to the myspace site and like what they hear and come to an upcoming show!

And as for the Indie-Cent Exposure nights at the Lemon Tree - I'm really trying to put on something there for all the great local bands that we have at the moment.

The list of very very good bands on my other thread on Local Bands shows there is a multitude of talent out there, and the thread just scratches the surface really.

All I'm doing is attempting to give these bands a platform to shine. The Lemon Tree brings with it a certain prestige and reputation, which we hope in itself will get the general public to take notice. We all know how difficult it is to get a decent crowd and get people to come down to our local bands' gigs, but we also know that the city is full of people who really like live music - when a big band comes to town, the tickets are generally sold out pretty quickly, yet it's a struggle to get 600 people to come through the doors at Lemon Tree on a Friday night to see 4 great local bands. If the bands stick together and get behind the Lemon Tree nights, we could see a night that gives 4 local bands the chance to play to a packed Lemon Tree, which is a really good place to air your music, given the sound system etc. A good show put on at the Lemon Tree in front of potentially a few hundred people that have never heard of your band before, may lead to gaining extra fans that will come along to your next gig at Drummonds, Tunnels, buy your EP, etc etc.

I'm not saying I'm the only guy capable of getting bands great local gigs, or the only guy capable of promoting the Aberdeen Music Scene, or the only guy taking it seriously. All I'm doing is trying to help.

Some people can see what I'm trying to do and have said it's great, whereas others just seem to think I'm getting above my station, but I can assure you, all I'm trying to do is help where I can with the local music scene. :up:

also getting bands from aberdeen some stage time, which hasnt been easy to do lately (due to number of bands on the go and such little number of venues available)

Mmm. To be fair, I'd say that there are plenty venues in Aberdeen. It's pretty easy to get a gig somewhere, a lot of the venues are always putting on new acts - the Tunnels and Moorings spring to mind especially.

Anyway, when's the next Indie-cent exposure night? And who's playing? I might make the journey north...:up:

Guest calumunderkills
Mmm. To be fair, I'd say that there are plenty venues in Aberdeen. It's pretty easy to get a gig somewhere, a lot of the venues are always putting on new acts - the Tunnels and Moorings spring to mind especially.

Anyway, when's the next Indie-cent exposure night? And who's playing? I might make the journey north...:up:

Yeah, it's not difficult to get a gig in Aberdeen - I agree with that. Hen @ the Tunnels is great for giving bands a shot. With him now doing the bookings for Drummonds, it will make it easier to get in there as well. And the smaller venues like Cellar 35 are putting on gigs all the time.

I'd say, what I'm trying to do is give bands stage time at a cracking venue in the Lemon Tree (not that the above mentioned venues aren't good - I think they're very good venues - it's just I find something quite exciting about the Lemon Tree, and an all local bands show there!).

The next Indie-Cent Exposure night is Friday 6th February:

Lady Mercedes

MySpace.com - Lady Mercedes - Aberdeen/London, UK - Rock / R&B / Blues - www.myspace.com/ladymercedesuk

Rescue Party

MySpace.com - RescueParty - Aberdeen, UK - Indie / Alternative / Pop - www.myspace.com/rescuepartyonline

Fivefifteen

MySpace.com - fivefifteen - Aberdeen, Scotland - Indie / Rock / Alternative - www.myspace.com/fivefifteen

Velvet Audio

MySpace.com - Velvet Audio - Aberdeen, UK - Rock / Alternative / Indie - www.myspace.com/velvetaudioband

A cracking line-up - should be a cracking night!

The nights will hopefully be running monthly from then on in! Get in touch if you want to play!

Cheers :up: