aberdeen-music

Fifa 09

Soda Jerk

Ignoring all the PES snobs that seem to have turned up in this thread...

The first post mentions PES more times than FIFA!

To be honest I got a real giggle out of Pro Evo players being described by definition as "snobs" - most of my sessions on any computer game tend to be sleep deprived, drunken affairs filled with poor one liners and pithy glib remarks and corny taunts (and thats just when I play alone).

I can't really be snobby about that.

But I can and will be snobby about Pro Evo being MILES fucking better than stinking FIFA.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to be honest, only fools WEREN'T being pes snobs back in the day, but its been getting progressively worse since pes5 imo and the 'next-gen' versions are completely unplayable. I've bought every edition since Iss Pro 98 and it's with a heavy heart that I'll be moving on to Fifa but at the end of the day I'm not shelling out 40 out of some dreamt-up loyalty to Konami.

the new Fifa (and Fifa 08 as well to be fair) is head and shoulders above Pro Ev these days though. Although I still believe Pro Ev on the PS2 is the ultimate gaming experience and will probably try and get the new one on that on the cheap.

PES on the Wii is my only experience in recent years, and due to the control system alone that was something else!

Thinking I'll be giving the FIFA/PES demos a go at some point before deciding which to go for on the PS3...

PES (PS3) is good graphically, but the gameplay and lack of options are a frustration.

I bought FIFA 09 at the weekend and it's pretty good - certainly an improvement on the last release and much better than PES.

Neither of them are a patch on the Tues/Thurs 7's eh?

Sterling performance at the back on Thurs wee man - it was good not be left on my lonesome for once - whilst watching Lewis and Stevie Nae-Passes trying to take on everyone (including the staff and the guys on the next pitch!!!!).

PES (PS3) is good graphically, but the gameplay and lack of options are a frustration.

I bought FIFA 09 at the weekend and it's pretty good - certainly an improvement on the last release and much better than PES.

Neither of them are a patch on the Tues/Thurs 7's eh?

Nothing beats a game of sevens. Looking forward to tomorrow's already... oh. Wait a minute...

Sterling performance at the back on Thurs wee man - it was good not be left on my lonesome for once - whilst watching Lewis and Stevie Nae-Passes trying to take on everyone (including the staff and the guys on the next pitch!!!!).

Still much room for improvement, sir! :up:

But I can and will be snobby about Pro Evo being MILES fucking better than stinking FIFA.

Have you even played Fifa 08 or 09 and compared it side by side to the horrible "half made" effort that was PES08? Even as a Fifa fan boy, I can admit that Pro Evo was consistantly the better title in terms of gameplay for the majority of 2000 to 2007 with Fifa adding very little in the way of innovation. EA actually put the effort in to overtake it last year by stripping the engine of the game right down to the ground and completely rebuilding it for the Next Gen consoles for the 2008 release, making it a completely different game to the Fifas of the past few years. Konami did absolutely nothing to PES, and the 360 version of 2008 somehow plays even worse than it's PS2 equivelant. It's jerky, rough and it feels like the ball is made of concrete with every pass. Judging from the response of the PES09 demo, not THAT much has changed.

From the overwhelming amount of PES fans being converted to the "dark-side", I would suggest it's pretty obvious which is the better game. The only people who seem to deny it are the people who haven't even played it.

Fifa is as close to the real thing as it's gonna get. PES, with it's made up team names, tacky, japanese presentation and that weird fantasy Master League, is still stuck being a rigid arcade game.

I'll wait for Chris Officer to post his version of events before I gloat :up:

It was like deja vu of SPL opening day... :popcorn:

_44907753_barrowman_203b.jpg

Except on opening day I don't remember the Caley subs disappearing and the AFC players standing around bewildered as they're tackled by the invisible man who crossed it in for the last gasp winner.

Was a pretty good game up until then though and I felt Aberdeen had the better chances and deserved more from the game. Typical "sloppy" error in the centre of our defense for your first goal though :down:

Ultimately we were let down by poor finishing, slack defending and the fact I couldn't see some of your players after the subs came on...

That's the first time i've heard of invisible players in the game; we'll have to have a re-match to settle that mistake. Jimmy Calderwood has still to use that excuse I suppose...

In true ICT biased fashion I thought it was a fully deserved ICT win :up: Only conceding when Ross Tokely decided to take the piss and pull off a few more tricks on the wing, which had previously worked earlier in the game. Lee Miller with a good header, then going onto cartwheel in celebration (A Klinsmann dive would've been more appropriate)

However, Markus Paatelinan with a striker's finish to open the scoring and an identical goal to the real life 1st goal against Dons on opening day makes it 3 points to Inverness. The winner was buried by Barrowman who goes onto cup his hand round his ear as the Pittodrie faithful are making their way to the exit.

Forgot to add...

When I try to join the Abdn-music league it says I have to receive an invite from the Manager? I think it's because I signed up easy enough, but then decided to change my team... which has caused all sort of bother.

Chris, can you wing an invite my way? Invisible courier is fine :up:

Starting to get really good (I think!), winning most of the time in Xbox live games. Still getting heaps of folk quitting when they are 2 or 3 nil down; which is really annoying.

Joined a Pie and Bovril Super League today on top of the Abdn-music one, so hopefully that'll cut down the amount of DNF's...

One thing that has been annoying me is that sometimes it doesn't change player quick enough, or it gives you the wrong player, like a defender trailing an attacker by miles instead of a defender positioned well to intercept the ball.

Aye that's something that has annoyed me a few times. Especially in games where you are against Liverpool or Spain and Torres is bearing down on you.