aberdeen-music

Has the AU Union closed down?

Lemonade

The wee one on Littlejohn Street I mean, that used to be Pivo. I drove past yesterday and there were For Sale signs on it. It would be a shame if it closed down and AU lost it's Union, I worked there in the 05/06 term and had a really fun time, though the place was hemorraging money even back then. I felt sorry for the management as they tried really hard to make a go of it but they were constantly undermined by the University, who dictated food and drink prices (ludicrously low), staff costs (ludicrously high) etc and then came down on the Union managers when they were losing money! There hands were totally tied. :down:

i still think it's a shame the old one closed down and is now a shitting starbucks.

Agreed, that place was first port of call for me and my mates when we first moved through here, a huge heaving 7-bar monster of a Union!

(Sivells, Seasons, The Factory, Games Room, Assosciates, Liquid Loft and the Dungeon! 7 bars - loved it!)

Agreed, that place was first port of call for me and my mates when we first moved through here, a huge heaving 7-bar monster of a Union!

(Sivells, Seasons, The Factory, Games Room, Assosciates, Liquid Loft and the Dungeon! 7 bars - loved it!)

Jesus, it seems like so long ago...I remeber the carnage of thursday nights with the stupidly cheap drinks when I was 17. Absurdly, they wouldn't let us in with our fake college IDcards on a Friday or Saturday, but they were fine with us during the week.

Me and Les Stroszek had many a fine game of snooker in there too back in the day..alas :(

Jesus, it seems like so long ago...I remeber the carnage of thursday nights with the stupidly cheap drinks when I was 17. Absurdly, they wouldn't let us in with our fake college IDcards on a Friday or Saturday, but they were fine with us during the week.

Me and Les Stroszek had many a fine game of snooker in there too back in the day..alas :(

The wheel of booze was a stroke of genius :up:

Well according to this:

Union Bar <aberdeenunion>

Yes we're back and its good to see all you familiar faces as well as all the new Freshers. Hope you all had a good couple of weeks so far. We'll see you next time you come in.
The Hub opens on Saturday 14th October. I'm sure it will be great....

..but just so we are clear.

IT's NOT THE NEW F**KING UNION!!!!!!!!!!!

It is only there to replace the old refectory.

The wheel of booze was a stroke of genius :up:

Genius/carnage :p I fell down those stairs in Sivells once when absolutely screwed on stupidly cheap vodka..didn't feel a thing :p

Those photos you posted a link to...awful :( I spent so much of my 17th/18th years hanging out in Seasons aimlessly (with a barmaid called Amy that used to sell us alcohol despite knowing fine well that half of us were underage)..It's just awful to see it that way.

I don't think Aberdeen students these days realise what they could've had, if AUSA weren't imcompetent fuckers...

• 2 weeks later...
The university blew it when they got rid of the building. It was all a big fuck up that shouldn't have happened.

I'll try and get the info from my boss. He was telling me all about it (but was a bit buckled at the time).

The history is a bit clouded to me nowadays, but wasn't it sold to pay off the huge debt that AUSA had accumulated? I seem to recall figures of a 2 million debt being mentioned, and the building being sold for not much over that.

The history is a bit clouded to me nowadays, but wasn't it sold to pay off the huge debt that AUSA had accumulated? I seem to recall figures of a 2 million debt being mentioned, and the building being sold for not much over that.

I don't recall. I remember something to do with opening hours and the prospect of a better building (which didn't materialise).

I'll ask my boss tomorrow.

Apparently the AU Union is closed and the students voted for 2 venues to be unofficial unions. No big surprise, Liquid was one of them and The Tunnels is the other 'alt' one. Not entirely sure what it involves apart from hosting stuff on Freshers Week, I would assume.

I think rather than people voting its more a case of who can throw the most money at the uni to become the exclusive 'host' of the freshers week activities. I certainly know Moshulu or RFR were the 'alt' venue a few years ago, they had the buses drop off from hillhead outside the bassment, then they got shovelled either up the hill to the club or round the corner to liquid. Basically just drumming it into their heads from the second they get here not to go anywhere else.