aberdeen-music

Car boot sales

Memphis Skyline

I am clearing out my flat and have loads of stuff to get shot of. I've never been to a car boot sale but though it might be a fun way to get rid and maybe make some small change.

Planning to go to Thainstone on Sunday. I have books, videos, jackets, jewellery, CDs, a telly,video,CD player. Boxes of stuff in good condition.

So are there any car boot veterans here? Any tips? What sells well etc?

Only hope is I don't come back with mroe crap than I went in with.

You can sell anything, but you have to remember that people there are after bargains so you have to sell stuff at a snip so don't expect to make a fortune. I've been up heaps of time and IME stuff like DVDs, Playstation games, old consoles, kids toys, and jewellery are the best sellers. You'll struggle to shift CDs probably because people can't be bothered going through them. Electronic gadgets usually fly.

Tips? Take LOADS of change. And keep an eye on your stuff, there's alot of pikeys and they do try and steal from right under your nose. Especially when you first open up and they swarm round you like vultures. Wear warm clothes and have a mate there who can run back and forth to keep you in tea and bacon rolls!

It starts at like 730am and the crowds are totally gone by about 1030 so you need to be early as fuck.

I think it costs a tenner for a pitch, and you'll need a table of some sort.

i actually managed to get up in time, for the first time in 5 years i might add, to make it to thainstone, last weekend, got some cracking dvds for a quid each. But in correspondence to the question, pretty much anything will sell, and bring a wee pop up table or something, cos it looks a bit crap if you just lay everything on the ground.

Thainstone car boot sale - you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Couldn't agree more- the dregs of fag-smoking, pie-eating, super lager-swilling humanity.

Poorly educated and ill-mannered filth, who think spending 50p on a kettle at your stall elevates them to some level of royalty over you.

Thainstone car boot sale - you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

I hate to say it, but I did feel repulsed when i was forced to use a bus passing that way on Sunday a few months back. Everything was fine then suddenly the vehicle came under attack from puffy plastic jackets, bulbous foreheads, the Daily Star and a loud conversation about football so moronic it made your average pub chin-wag look like an evening in with Alan Hansen and Chomsky.

My best buys were when there was a bootsale at the Northern Marts (late 80s?/early 90s?)......I got a Watkins Rapier 33 guitar for a fiver, which I still use now & again for recording, plus a copy of the Artwoods album (worth a couple of hundred quid) for 50p (sold it to the Cavern a few years ago).

When the Castlegate market was on I picked up an extremely rare Wille Dixon 7" for 20p ('Walkin the blues' on London).

Good days!

Go for it, Ed......then you could give us a run down of what you get!

Never actually bought anything from the Car Boots or Thainstone market but just enjoy walking about taking in the sights.

My mate and I nip out there occasionally just for a laugh.

We grab a couple of my Grandads Sean Wilson CDs just to get us ion the mood on the way there. You know just to ease us into the ear melting irish country music we will have to endure during the Mink Safari that we are about to embark upon.