aberdeen-music

Rant thread

Lemonade

Guest idol_wild
I can't help noticing that most people that complain about banks are the same people that go over their overdrafts and account limits.

You're right. And I knew someone would pick up on this and state the facts. However, in my case they refused an overdraft facility, merely stating I was ineligible for one. Clearly they knew I earned very little at the time and I had rent and council tax coming out as direct debits each month so they knew they'd have massive potential to charge me.

I feel this is pretty poor service.

I can't help noticing that most people that complain about banks are the same people that go over their overdrafts and account limits.

I'm with Llloyds TSB and have never had a single problem with them.

I'd have a problem with LLoyds TSB and that's because I'm financially illiterate! yeah, i only have myself to blame for cutting things too fine. But I still can't figure out why banks can't post debits the same day you make them. They offer us incredibly poor visibility on the actual account balance, even with online banking.

I can't help but notice Dave's been pretty silent in this thread since the focus shifted to banks :p

ha! i'm busy at work that's why. i've paid my dues bank charge wise and hopefully working for a bank will teach me to be a bit better with money.

rbs has a better reputation than most as well. plus, i gots to pay the bills!

She also told me they would have to run a credit check and get references for me, which I had to pay for! The princely sum of 120. So I had to go in with 675 deposit, 675 rent and 120 'admin fee' - a grand total of 1470.

However I did say to her - and this is the important part - if I give you that 1470, and the credit checks or references come back bad, how much of that money will I get back? To my utter amazement, she said "Nothing. If it comes back bad you lose that money".

There is no reason a credit check should cost you anything more than a few quid. Last time I had reason to check (not that long ago), the actual cost of this to the agent was only a pound or two so by the time you add-in staff/time etc, 20-30 tops is about all.

I'm pretty certain that is illegal - Not that APL seem to have any concept of the law about letting anyway. Had them over a barrel on that before. :swearing:

Just got a considered professional opinion on APL. It is - "They are taking the piss!"

Also, even though they are entitled to keep the credit check money, anyone paying 120 would probably have a very good case to get most of that refunded as they are blatently overcharging. 2 is the current going rate.

Anyone dealing with them would be well advised to work via their own solicitor.

My point was that I didn't go over it. But you know all about my on going problems with Clydesdale and them generally being mongs.

I'm going to set up and appointment with Lloyds and see what they'll do in regards to switching all my direct debits over (because I really can't be fucked).

There's some kind of law about that, your old bank has to do it for you within three days or something like that. I can't remember exactly but I saw it on some watchdog program. If you open an account with RBS they will do it all for you anyway.

My point was that I didn't go over it. But you know all about my on going problems with Clydesdale and them generally being mongs.

As we've talked about before, I think we're both in agreement that Clydesdale bank is probably one of the worst banks in the UK to be with. Their products are completely uncompetitive if nothing else.

I'm going to set up and appointment with Lloyds and see what they'll do in regards to switching all my direct debits over (because I really can't be fucked).

If you are moving your current account to them then they will do this all automatically for you as well as set-up your standing orders. I think all major banks in the UK offer this service now as it is meant to make it easier for people to move from bank to bank.

Guest idol_wild
I'd sooner hae a fuckin biscuit tin than trust a bank for a second, unfortunately getting paid into a biscuit tin is not possible.

Robbing fucking BASTARDS.

Did you know that there used to be a Chief Inspector of Grampian Police called Robin Banks?

True story.

Be warned, they recently decided to migrate my credit card to a new one without warning me, only for the new one to be sent to Aberdeen and the old one cancelled (which is with me). I'm waiting on word if it's possible for the card to be reactivated - they don't seem to think it's possible, but they're going to call me when they get a definitive answer from the card authorisation people.

They also, bizzarely, can't send new cards abroad.

But you're fucking loaded ain't ye? ;)

You can't possibly think that 20 a day is a reasonable charge? It's a policy purely designed to keep people in debt. A couple slip-ups and a few eeks of financial dificulty and the bastards have got you...

Be warned, they recently decided to migrate my credit card to a new one without warning me, only for the new one to be sent to Aberdeen and the old one cancelled (which is with me). I'm waiting on word if it's possible for the card to be reactivated - they don't seem to think it's possible, but they're going to call me when they get a definitive answer from the card authorisation people.

No worries there, I don't have a credit card with them (nor would I, they're a rip-off).

They also, bizzarely, can't send new cards abroad.

That's presumably an anti-fraud measure. After all, I think it is safe for them to assume that if you are banking with a UK high-street bank then you will reside somewhere in the UK.

As far as banking goes, RBS paid for my TV with my banking charges refund so I'm happy with them.

But this is a rant thread so here goes.

FOOTBALL.

Why is it that when teams play away in Eastern Europe that you literally have to get your leg broken inside the box to get a penalty? We were due one today on McFadden for sure! But no... Just a crock of shit really. Could it be a Czech/Eastern European conspiracy? The World Cup Qualifiers are getting just as bad as the fucking Eurovision song contest...

And as for what's happening with the Premier League/Man City/Billionaires at the moment... It can't be good for anyone apart from mercenary players and shit-eating, sleazy, pig-fucking agents. As a Liverpool fan, I might just purely be jealous but thinking long and hard about it, can success really mean as much if it's just bought off the back of billions of pounds of investment? Even if we got taken over by Dubai as is currently mooted, winning would always feel a little hollow.

Fuck Robinho, Ronaldo, Drogba, Lampard and every other little freak that goes to or stays with their team for the cash. Bastards.

No worries there, I don't have a credit card with them (nor would I, they're a rip-off).

Useful for abroad though, their debit card seems to be dodgy in its acceptance (had all sorts of trouble getting it to work in bank machines here, though I've now got a few machines that definitely work), even CalMac and some other businesses in the UK can't accept their debit card for some reason.

That's presumably an anti-fraud measure. After all, I think it is safe for them to assume that if you are banking with a UK high-street bank then you will reside somewhere in the UK.

Awkward though, particularly when they're used by people who are still resident in the UK, but aren't in the UK at the minute. Even more irritating was being told "If you had an international account, then we could send you a replacement"...but their international account is nothing short of an absolute ripoff.

• 4 weeks later...