aberdeen-music

We Shall Be Blessed...

unbroken

Sorry to completely and utterly derail this thread, but has anyone else actually read this blog?

What a bunch of tired, cliche, american- ised, standard issue band rhetoric; It basically says "We aren't a soap opera band.... but here's a load of trite, hyperbolic rubbish that wouldn't be out of place on The Hills, so maybe we are actually"

Easy champ, there's no need to be a cunt about it.

Here was the clue about who wrote it: ;)

"Dan, Nick, Marky and myself..... "

I can't defend any of Ben's words, but I'm guessing "we aren't a soap opera band" refers to the fact that there is no inner-band tension surrounding Alex's decision to leave the band - rather than having anything to do with the trite, hyperbolic rubbish that followed...

I wouldn't have put it in those words necessarily, but from my own point of view Alex has been a good friend and an important member of the band - I'd imagine Ben thought he deserved a bit more than simply; "Alex has left the band, it was his own decision. We wish him all the best."

On the name vote, I'm going to go with Scotty Bizzle.

.....I'm guessing "we aren't a soap opera band" refers to the fact that there is no inner-band tension surrounding Alex's decision to leave the band......

I had assumed that; my point is that that sentiment is nullified somewhat by the histrionics it precedes. I also don't doubt that your boy leaving the band was a big deal, just don't really think that talking in generic band- speak euphemisms is a particularly effective or sincere way of communicating that to myspace. Sorry if I've ruffled your feathers though; contrived faux- american band speak is just a bugbear of mine.

to be fair, I reckon his bulletins are well funnier than his blogs/steaky vocals, I would have deleted ye ages ago due to the number of em you send out but I enjoy them too much (sad eh?)

I have been listening to that its a girl thing a few times recently, I still reckon that song "find me" is the best thing they/you have done in terms of a tune.

I had assumed that; my point is that that sentiment is nullified somewhat by the histrionics it precedes. I also don't doubt that your boy leaving the band was a big deal, just don't really think that talking in generic band- speak euphemisms is a particularly effective or sincere way of communicating that to myspace. Sorry if I've ruffled your feathers though; contrived faux- american band speak is just a bugbear of mine.

That's cool man, (and as much as this has nothing to do with my actions personally) sorry it annoyed you. But to me it's no less credible than trying to generate a response by making snidy comments on an internet forum about someone who has no beef with you whatsoever...

I'm not trying to start an argument, but this sort of thing is one of my bugbears.

Moving on. :)

I have been listening to that its a girl thing a few times recently, I still reckon that song "find me" is the best thing they/you have done in terms of a tune.

Haha. Some people like St Anger so there's no accounting for taste... I'm glad you still like it, but "Find Me" didn't get us a European record deal and distribution... ;)

to be fair, I reckon his bulletins are well funnier than his blogs/steaky vocals, I would have deleted ye ages ago due to the number of em you send out but I enjoy them too much (sad eh?)

My Life Story are awesome :p

to be fair, I reckon his bulletins are well funnier than his blogs/steaky vocals,

right on queue

"LEARN THIS SIMPLE RULE:

Have the bands guarantees and the costs of sound, security, venue etc already covered BEFORE the fucking doors open!

Is it that hard??

What is it with SO FUCKING MANY of the promoters in the UK at the moment. STOP PUTTING ON FUCKING SHOWS.

Im fucking sick of promoters coming upto me for that "little chat" about the "guarantee!" It is called a guarantee not a fucking good will payment.

If you dont think youll make enough money then dont book the bands/shows you do. If you book then you have to pay.

We have fucking toured with some of the best bands in the UK several times over, we have two videos on rotation on MTV, we have an album in every record store in the UK...Try using some of that to actually PROMOTE your shows...do your fucking bastrading RESEARCH! We are not wet behind the ears and dont appreciate being patronised!

SPELL IT FOR YOU: R.E.S.E.A.R.C.H. Look up stuff about the bands you are putting on...build it up...actually do SOME FUCKING WORK!!!

We play for the love of playing but we have COSTS...This stopped being a hobby a good few years ago!

Fuck You!"

very professional

right on queue

"LEARN THIS SIMPLE RULE:

Have the bands guarantees and the costs of sound, security, venue etc already covered BEFORE the fucking doors open!

Is it that hard??

What is it with SO FUCKING MANY of the promoters in the UK at the moment. STOP PUTTING ON FUCKING SHOWS.

Im fucking sick of promoters coming upto me for that "little chat" about the "guarantee!" It is called a guarantee not a fucking good will payment.

If you dont think youll make enough money then dont book the bands/shows you do. If you book then you have to pay.

We have fucking toured with some of the best bands in the UK several times over, we have two videos on rotation on MTV, we have an album in every record store in the UK...Try using some of that to actually PROMOTE your shows...do your fucking bastrading RESEARCH! We are not wet behind the ears and dont appreciate being patronised!

SPELL IT FOR YOU: R.E.S.E.A.R.C.H. Look up stuff about the bands you are putting on...build it up...actually do SOME FUCKING WORK!!!

We play for the love of playing but we have COSTS...This stopped being a hobby a good few years ago!

Fuck You!"

very professional

was that today? i saw a similar one a while back, i think there were less fuck's though.

i think if i was a promoter i'd be well put off by any sort of guarantees.

right on queue

"LEARN THIS SIMPLE RULE:

Is it that hard??

Fuck You!"

very professional

Where's his skirt and lipstick?

What a girly bulletin.

As Scott Says, professionalism aside...:

If you AGREE a fee and someone doesn't pay anywhere near the amount or doesn't pay it at all it is annoying. If it happens repeatedly in a very short space of gigs then it becomes ridiculous.

If you sold something on ebay, send it out for hefty delivery price, and the guy doesn't pay you at all you would be raging. If that happens to you 4 times in the space of selling 6 items you start to feel like a fucking mug.

We have effectively had to pay about 4 van's tank-loads of diesel for 4 gigs around scotland in the last month. And that's before you incur any personal petrol costs etc. for cars (in addition to the van getting to the gigs, I drove about 700 miles in total for those gigs because I had to work during the day. I don't mind paying my own fuel but when you then have to pay additional fuel money into the van just to get it home because the promoter's done a runner and left you with no cash....)

As Scott Says, professionalism aside...:

If you AGREE a fee and someone doesn't pay anywhere near the amount or doesn't pay it at all it is annoying. If it happens repeatedly in a very short space of gigs then it becomes ridiculous.

I don't understand how someone could give a guarantee and not meet it - what kind of principles must these people have, if they're happy to bail out on people who might very well need the money to get home?

I don't understand how someone could give a guarantee and not meet it - what kind of principles must these people have, if they're happy to bail out on people who might very well need the money to get home?

Most of the time I would imagine promoters are really young and dont realise what they are getting into when booking gigs with guarentees.

Most of the time I would imagine promoters are really young and dont realise what they are getting into when booking gigs with guarentees.

Idiots. I wouldn't dare screw someone on their guarantee - who knows if they have a gorilla for a friend that'll happily beat you senseless if you don't pay up?

Then again, I question the sanity of any serious band that agrees to play a show for someone young/inexperienced anyway.

As for the guy being 45...he should've just been shot, simple :up:

Idiots. I wouldn't dare screw someone on their guarantee - who knows if they have a gorilla for a friend that'll happily beat you senseless if you don't pay up?

Then again, I question the sanity of any serious band that agrees to play a show for someone young/inexperienced anyway.

As for the guy being 45...he should've just been shot, simple :up:

that whole post kinda sums up your ignorance when it comes to stuff of this nature. Until you are in the situation of booking tours and knowing what its like when you are looking for dates / trying to fill cancellations / dealing with awkward people and venues etc I don't think you have anything valid to contribute

I have played some brilliant gigs with unexperienced promoters, fair do's you might not get some food or you might get your set cut short, but its hardly the end of the world

that whole post kinda sums up your ignorance when it comes to stuff of this nature. Until you are in the situation of booking tours and knowing what its like when you are looking for dates / trying to fill cancellations / dealing with awkward people and venues etc I don't think you have anything valid to contribute

I have played some brilliant gigs with unexperienced promoters, fair do's you might not get some food or you might get your set cut short, but its hardly the end of the world

Brilliant gigs don't fill your stomach or the van though if you don't get paid/fed, do they?

Ineptitude/lying on the part of promoters does fuck all for anyone. The sooner bad promoters are kicked to the kerb, the better...in my humble opinion.

Brilliant gigs don't fill your stomach or the van though if you don't get paid/fed, do they?

Ineptitude/lying on the part of promoters does fuck all for anyone. The sooner bad promoters are kicked to the kerb, the better...in my humble opinion.

i'd take a brilliant gig over food or petrol monies any day. i bet most here would too.

also, if you were a promoter, the only reason you'd pay a bands guarantee is because you might be scared of the mates they may potentially have? very astute...

having done a bit of touring through driving / playing etc i would say that brilliant gigs are generally far more important than money for most bands at this level (level?). most bands have 3/4 four people to contribute to covering costs where things do go pete tong - its part of the deal of being in a touring band.

brilliant gigs generally involve selling merch though, any band worth their salt should be able to sell merch, if they dont its because its either overpriced or the band are not good enough to win people over

having done a bit of touring through driving / playing etc i would say that brilliant gigs are generally far more important than money for most bands at this level (level?). most bands have 3/4 four people to contribute to covering costs where things do go pete tong - its part of the deal of being in a touring band.

brilliant gigs generally involve selling merch though, any band worth their salt should be able to sell merch, if they dont its because its either overpriced or the band are not good enough to win people over

Merch is where the money's made. Like Maxi said, you're doing something wrong if you can't sell at least a few CDs or a t-shirt or two on an out of town gig. I would be happy if fuel costs were covered by the promoter (through a guarantee or whatever) and the promoter or venue provided a meal of some sort but that's not always possible. You have to take the rough with the smooth.

Brilliant gig over money any time though. I love playing live :)

having done a bit of touring through driving / playing etc i would say that brilliant gigs are generally far more important than money for most bands at this level (level?).

Totally agree, and I don't even care about selling merch or not if it's a decent gig - good gigs are the building blocks of a band. Not money from door tax.

But usually you don't get paid if it's a poorly sold show, which means lack of people to potentially sell merch to so it's kind of a double whammy when you don't get paid to play a really shit/poorly promoted show.