aberdeen-music

We Shall Be Blessed...

unbroken

...are no more.

We formed at the tail end of 2004, we played our first show in February of 2005 with The Great Deceiver (ex-At The Gates/Deathwish Records) (thanks Kirk). Ever since then, we set out to write, play and destroy to our fullest potential. And I think we did a pretty good job at doing so. We managed to play with some of our favourite bands in large venues to playing with more of our favourite bands in the smallest of venues. We had gear stolen, we dealt with the stress of songwriting and member changes and I don't think any single one of us would look back and regret anything this band has ever achieved or accomplished. For all of us collectively, it has been an epic struggle and we are mighty pround of ourselves for coming as far as we have.

That is why as of today, this band are now on indefinate hiatus. We need time apart to sort ourselves out and who knows? Maybe we will get back together, maybe we won't.

All of us have other bands and projects so keep an ear to the ground for those.

Our last ever shows are in September.

We are playing in Dundee on Thursday 25th September 2008 (venue and line up TBC), and our FINAL show is the following day (Friday the 26th of September 2008) at the East Neuk in Aberdeen with Desalvo.

Thank you all so much for all the support that we have ever received. Thanks to everyone who put us on, came to see us, gave us food, let us over stay our welcome, shared a stage with us and just generally destroyed with us.

It's been fun.

A lifetime of practice room gigs with the occasional support slot at the East Neuk does wonders for a band's confidence....

So you feel you can just trivialise a hard working bands efforts to play music they enjoy?

Hm.

I am sorry to see you guys go. I'll make an effort to be at the Desalvo gig.

So you feel you can just trivialise a hard working bands efforts to play music they enjoy?

Hard working?

What's hard working about WSBB? They took months off, played scene gigs and generally did next to nothing in terms of hard work. Did they tour constantly like Enter Shakiri did or like Blood Red Shoes are doing, or did they sit until late at night promoting the band and writing music on a full on basis?

No.

Did they release music on a prolific basis, getting new releases out frequently and making a name for themselves despite not touring? That's hard working too - but they didn't do that either.

To be honest, the demise of yet another band that took themselves far too seriously is for the best, really, it is.

edit : As for belitting bands that have achieved more than me musically - that makes absolutely no sense. Are people not allowed to criticise bands that have done more than them, then? Does this make Bob Geldof exempt from criticism from all but individuals like Elton John?

Come on....

Hard working?

What's hard working about WSBB? They took months off, played scene gigs and generally did next to nothing in terms of hard work. Did they tour constantly like Enter Shakiri did or like Blood Red Shoes are doing, or did they sit until late at night promoting the band and writing music on a full on basis?

No.

Did they release music on a prolific basis, getting new releases out frequently and making a name for themselves despite not touring? That's hard working too - but they didn't do that either.

To be honest, the demise of yet another band that took themselves far too seriously is a good one.

1. Enter Shakiri and Blood Red Shoes have loads of money behind them to tour constantly. It's their job.

2. What the shitting hell is a scene gig? Should they just be playing open mics or something?

3. Sure, being in a band isn't working down a coal mine, but it's still a lot of work and effort to get money together for equipment, write songs to the best of your ability, hone your craft, etc. You can work hard at something without shoving it down people's throats, just because a band plays the East Neuk instead of The Music Hall, it doesn't make it any less worthy.

Cloud, could you please post something interesting for a change?

What's not interesting about it? It's my opinion that WSBB were and are nothing but a complete joke.

I was at their first gig, and I remeber the hordes of 15 year olds that would see them. I've followed them 'grow up' into a band that did absolutely nothing, and who are finishing their life off playing in a function room of a pub frequented by dodgy old blokes. I've seen them enough times to know that they took themselves far too seriously for their own good, and that to be brutally honest, they've done absolutely nothing noteworthy.

1. Enter Shakiri and Blood Red Shoes have loads of money behind them to tour constantly. It's their job.

It's not that hard to save up money and go tour. Plenty of bands manage it' date=' so what's their excuse? Oh wait...it's because they existed for personal gratification and not because

2. What the shitting hell is a scene gig? Should they just be playing open mics or something?

Simple. A scene gig is one that attracts hangers-on. Also known as 'sheep'.

3. Sure, being in a band isn't working down a coal mine, but it's still a lot of work and effort to get money together for equipment, write songs to the best of your ability, hone your craft, etc. You can work hard at something without shoving it down people's throats, just because a band plays the East Neuk instead of The Music Hall, it doesn't make it any less worthy.

It's a valid point, but when a band has been going for years and is still playing the East Neuk, something is clearly wrong with their band. You would think, at least in their home city, that they would want to bow out on a high note, not a bum note.

The amusing thing? The sheep in question have felt the need to all jump on the negative reputation bandwagon. Perhaps that's why you're all stuck musically as being absolutely worthless :)

"You must spread some reputation around before you give it to RF Scott again"

Guest Jake Wifebeater
What's not interesting about it? It's my opinion that WSBB were and are nothing but a complete joke.

I was at their first gig, and I remeber the hordes of 15 year olds that would see them. I've followed them 'grow up' into a band that did absolutely nothing, and who are finishing their life off playing in a function room of a pub frequented by dodgy old blokes. I've seen them enough times to know that they took themselves far too seriously for their own good, and that to be brutally honest, they've done absolutely nothing noteworthy.

Clyde, you are absolutely spot on! Nothing against the We Shall Be Bored cunts, but they never meant fuck all to me or anyone else that I knew! They are a nice bunch of folk, but they wouldn't know good noise if it leapt up and smashed them in the face with a newsfish that said, "OI! I FUCKEN AM! Sorry, Maxi, but I always said they were medio-core...Smash up as much as you like, but you were always a pale imitation...

It's not that hard to save up money and go tour. Plenty of bands manage it, so what's their excuse? Oh wait...it's because they existed for personal gratification and not because

Simple. A scene gig is one that attracts hangers-on. Also known as 'sheep'.

It's not hard at all, but those were pretty bad examples, given that they're full-time bands with a lot of managerial and promotional weight behind them. It's not like bands have to go on tour anyway.

As for scene gigs, I can sort of see where you're coming from, but does that make a Tesco-album-of-the-month concert at the Music Hall a scene gig too? It's also not a band's fault if they attract 'hangers-on' either.

It's not hard at all, but those were pretty bad examples, given that they're full-time bands with a lot of managerial and promotional weight behind them. It's not like bands have to go on tour anyway.

Did they have the backing in the beginning, though? It was my impression (though I'm willing to be corrected, I'm relying on google and a friend's knowledge for this) that those two were picked up by managers once they'd started to make a name for themselves, rather than doing what The Hedrons did and be backed/manufactured from the start.

As for scene gigs, I can sort of see where you're coming from, but does that make a Tesco-album-of-the-month concert at the Music Hall a scene gig too? It's also not a band's fault if they attract 'hangers-on' either.

It's a tough one, but I think the definition is where a band attracts people by virtue of being friends with people, rather than for the music. It's particularly noticable when you see people with no interest in the music in question turning up at gigs because they have friends there - and it's when a band can really suffer if they have that perception.

However, I will say that this thread has inspired me to have a shot at creating music. The results will be...interesting, I think.

Cloud, seriously, fuck off. This is exactly why you're a fucking troll. I'm probably going to get another warning for this, maybe a ban, but you're fucking trolling. You know fuck all about fuck all. So stop pretending to know anything.

Why did they take months off? Because their song writing process takes a fucking long time. But you'd know fuck all about that, cos you know fuck all about anything.

Why they playing the East Neuk on their last gig? Cos they're supporting Desalvo, a band who have made it quite big without being able to tour much. They are the support, and confirmed the gig before the decision to break up. If they took themselves as seriously as you make out, then they'd announce a huge fucking gig with them headlining as their last show. Which they haven't. You complete fucking cunt. Oh, and The East Neuk is a fucking good gig. But you'd know fuck all about that.

Why didn't they save up money to go on tour like Enter Shikari or any other band you found on Kerrang!? because they used the money to buy good gear. Very good gear. Very expensive gear. But shame on them for wanting good gear. Nope, they should have formulated a plan by having a metting of the board and said "Guys, Enter Shikari tour lots. We need to start doing what they're doing, or else we're gonna be considered a joke."

Why didn't they release anything? Cos they weren't perfectly happy with the recording they managed to get done. Until recently. But now they're on a hiatus. Once again, you know fuck all, about fuck all.

Because one band did one thing, and the other didn't, doesn't mean they're of any less worth.

Jesus christ, what you going to say next? "Nah, WSBB are shit. Queen played Wembley, WSBB never did. So they're a joke."

Just. Fuck. Off.

• Upvote 1

this is getting a bit silly

the wsbb dynamic changed over time and they seemed to hover away from being interested in the moshulu gigs and that type of scene, which was when cloud lived here and had his finger somewhere closer to the pulse. Blessed seemed to move toward playing diy gigs, seemed to enjoy it more and maybe got more fun out of playing with people with the same mindset. Does Cloud see this as a regression? Fair do's, but that doesn't really matter to Blessed as they seemed to being doing what they wanted to do. To be fair to him, Cloud can't really comprehend this because he has never been involved in DIY (helping gfn? aye good ane!) which is fine.

Problems begin when Cloud only sees a bunch of pals getting on with eachother on the net/helping eachother out with gigs and feedback/advice and decides to try and cause a bit of a flame war/shoot people down. (Something I used to do, embarrasingly) I don't know why he wants to do it, and we never see him go to much effort on other bands / diy scene threads which leads me to thinking that this is a personal thing.

Thats fair enough, he is entitled to do what he likes but its made a lot worse by fowk taking the bait

As for Blessed, I'm pretty dissapointed by the reasons leading to the split, I feel a bit let down by the nature of the decision, which is not for discussion here.

Regardless of whether I regard them as good mates / gigging pals, I really think that they are one of the best bands in the deen at the moment as the new material really clicked with me. I also think appreciated the fact that they wanted to work with other bands of the same mindset to establish a good network of people who help each other out.

• Upvote 1

Everyone knows what i think about them. I'm annoyed at the split because i think they're a very capable bunch of lads and if they had a bit more drive they would only get stronger as a band.

My main disappointment regarding them is their lack of recorded output. I have a few demos here and there on CD-R but thats all.

Ah well, i'm sure some good will come out of it. We'll just have to see what they all do next.

• Upvote 1