aberdeen-music

Right...Metallica's new album "Death Magnetic"

Hog

I thought it was a bit of a mashup of 'Hero of the Day', 'Unforgiven' and 'One'. A borderline average one at that. It's not bad, but once I got past the initial "OMG, it's a new Metallica track" it didn't exactly set my world on fire. Hopefully the album will have better tunes on it.

Cyanide doesn't do much for me, but The Day That Never Comes DOES. I think its pretty good, although I love Load and Reload to bits. I think some of the lyrical lines are put in funny places at times, but it's given me a lot of promise for the album.

I haven't bothered reading any of this thread because it's no doubt filled with the usual Metallica arguments that I'm sick and tired of, plus I resent the fact that Metallica get ripped to pieces for making the music THEY want to, when its relevant to THEM. Everything they put out is disseminated to death and everyone in the world has an opinion on it, yet they have the balls to try something new, despite having such a strong fanbase from their early albums, where as bands like Iron Maiden and Slayer can churn out the same uninspiring formulaic album after album for years and get away with it.

The solo harmony thing at the end sounds like someone that can't do two handed tapping trying it for the first time.

I'd rather hear the new Element 106 material.

I'll make sure it has a solo harmony at the end with some tapping for ya ;):laughing:

This is a weird track (The Day That Never Comes), there are some cool riffs on it. 4:06, I wish they expanded on this section more, it cried "Orion" at me for sure. Then the "Love is a 4 letter word" over it - Lame! :down:

I'll still buy the album and probably have it learnt in a week or so :up:

Cyanide doesn't do much for me, but The Day That Never Comes DOES. I think its pretty good, although I love Load and Reload to bits. I think some of the lyrical lines are put in funny places at times, but it's given me a lot of promise for the album.

I haven't bothered reading any of this thread because it's no doubt filled with the usual Metallica arguments that I'm sick and tired of, plus I resent the fact that Metallica get ripped to pieces for making the music THEY want to, when its relevant to THEM. Everything they put out is disseminated to death and everyone in the world has an opinion on it, yet they have the balls to try something new, despite having such a strong fanbase from their early albums, where as bands like Iron Maiden and Slayer can churn out the same uninspiring formulaic album after album for years and get away with it.

Well said.

the dynamic between the verse and the chorus reminds me a lot of fade to black.

the tapping bit at the end with all the pausing is just annoying and sounds like a cheesy jam where everybody is smiling at each outher looking really pleased with themselves... i just watched the video and this is exactly what kirk and james are doing. shocker.

Okay.

I am just back from leeds. First, the gig, second, the new single.

Gig - Return to form. Saw them in 2003, very much better than then. They have stepped up a gear. Tight, lars very very good on drums, double kick in RTL was exellent. James' voice tip-top...perhaps almost at the same peak it was during s&m period. Setlist very pleasing.

Single - very good live. Not too sure about the end..it may grow on me. The first half is very load - and for me that is absolutely fine. Load and reload are superb albums, and arguably some of their best songwriting features on them. Song is a mix of load and justice styles if you had to compare it to previous stuff.

New metallica song - My Apocolypse

Metallica.com

Better than the first two new songs I reckon. Snare is too loud and there isn't enough drum fills. Still at least it isn't 7 jillion hours long like previous recent metallica efforts. Hetfield sounds good in places, but the mix isn't great at all.

Some lame parts, but some decent enough parts.

It's been leaked as a result of some record store in France selling copies early.

And since I've had my limited edition digipak pre-ordered, I'm going to wait.

HOWEVER, If I were to download it, I'd probably say that this album is a masterpiece, yes I am a total Metallica fan boy, but it is probably absolutely brilliant. It would probably feel like a collection of all Metallica's styles (something from EVERY album) blended into a modern metal album.

I'm guessing that The Unforgiven III has the potential to be a new favourite Metallica song, whichever review I read about it being better than the previous two are probably right. Other favourites (on paper) look set to be All Nightmare Long and The End of the Line, because they're probably just an assault of awesome guitars and great vocals from James.

By now, I'd have been able to listen to it three times through stopping to re-listen to Unforgiven III, III times. I'd imagine I'd have no real problems with the production and even though I liked St Anger I have a feeling Death Magnetic will make it look like a piece of shit.

I'm probably so fucking happy.

• Upvote 1