aberdeen-music

Right...Metallica's new album "Death Magnetic"

Hog

They were ding on that tour as well. As for '...Justice...' its the moment that all trace of groove deserted them, for sadly obvious reasons, to be replaced by excessive spasmodic time change Metal, my least fave mode of thrash. And 'One' was just annoying 'War is Hell' cliche, considering they had rather seemed to like a bit of militaristic lyrical iconography previously (I am talking to YOU 'Metal Militia'*).

You are of course correct that some bass might have made a difference. Newboy just couldn't stand his corner.

*Now thats a great Metallica track

I am desperately looking forward to this album, although I think it will be rubbish, quite frankly. But I live in hope. Other than St Anger, I think everything Metallica have done has been decent on some level (even Reload). ...And Justice will always be my favourite Metallica album, and the black album - love it or hate it - was a landmark album that millions of bands have tried to emulate in terms of songs and production.

I just think they don't know how to be Metallica anymore, which is a great shame in light of Megadeth and Testament recently producing really good albums that at least stand proudly next to their earlier, classic works.

Up until Reload, metallica did whatever the fuck they wanted and it worked. But St Anger was a badly failed attempt at being relevant and being something that they are not, i.e. pants nu-metal. Now that 'classic' metallica-influenced metal has been made popular due to the likes of trivium and bullet for my valentine, they are trying to be 'classic' metallica again.

We shall see.

Guest treader.

if nothing else, i just hope lars' snare sound isnt the same as the fucking rubbish sound on st anger.

i predict they will become a more sappy rock band over time.

avenged sevenfold-y...probably.

I think it'll be crap.

Because I find Metallica terribly dull, repetitive and horribly cliche.

Since ever.

You're entitled to an opinion but Metallica are probably one of the most influential Metal bands around. For an entire decade at least every metal band on the planet aspired to be them. They have some unbelievably diverse albums within their genre and they have evolved (albeit not always successfully) to remain a very successful band over a career that spans a good bit longer than your life itself. I think cliche is a bit OTT as they defined a lot of what's out there metal-wise these days.

Yes, Metallica may be an odd parody of themselves these days but they are responsible for some absolute gems.

I prefer Pantera though. :up:

My opinion is:

They have always been great, and load and reload don't deserve the criticism they get: both are fantasic hard rock albums, extremely well written songs, so what if they aren't thrash...

St Anger is a very poor Metallica album, but a pretty good non-metallica album, if you see what i mean. Personally think that frantic is good live, but I'm not too fussed that they don't play st anger stuff live anymore

Having watched many videos of their 2007 and 2008 tours i think they are back on form. Rock am ring was expecially good. Hetfields voice is back to standard, and lars is playing well. The setlists have been fantastic, with songs like damge inc mixed with newer stuff like king nothing.

Have watched the cyanide video

and i think its good. The drums are too loud, and hetfields guitar is too quiet. But its good, and lars plays well, with some double kickage.

Looking forward to hearing the studio versions and leeds festival :)

• Upvote 1

Agree with teabags, although Machine head's Supercharger is a very close second.

Don't rate hetfield's voice these days, not agressive enough at all. From AJFA through to Garage Inc his voice was superb, but it's too clean and karaoke like these days.

Cyanide is definitely better than st anger, but still very bland in my opinion. No great riffs, poor lyrics and pretty rubbish St Anger style vocals and phrasing. I've heard this is one of the worst tunes from death magnetic - I certainly hope so.