aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

aye I think Hegs has been on holiday, he works with my mate apparently a lovely bloke.

Gibby and JB were cracking against St Johnstone in the centre of midfield. they didnt play there together too often last season with JB hitting defensive duties.

Should be a good game, any recomendations of watering holes pre match?

JB and Gibby were our best central midfield, but when we went up we found we needed him as a sweeper... Then he bizarrely ended up at right back last season, which was a disgrace!

For pubs, your best bet is the social club at the ground. Friendly welcoming atmosphere, pool table, dart board and cheap drink! Everything else is a 10 minute walk away, and it's uphill coming to the ground...

I see Diamond might be out of the season opener :up:

In addition to perhaps Seve (injury or transfer to huns), as well as Mair and Duff.

Do the Dons train on broken glass? Only Killie could challenge you for most injury prone SPL team I think.

In Caley news we pumped St Johnstone 4-2, with our attack looking very dangerous. Shame our defence looked equally adept at increasing the scoreline. Ryan Esson had a very good debut, which was surprising. His kicking is still shocking though!

I see Diamond might be out of the season opener :up:

In addition to perhaps Seve (injury or transfer to huns), as well as Mair and Duff.

Do the Dons train on broken glass? Only Killie could challenge you for most injury prone SPL team I think.

In Caley news we pumped St Johnstone 4-2, with our attack looking very dangerous. Shame our defence looked equally adept at increasing the scoreline. Ryan Esson had a very good debut, which was surprising. His kicking is still shocking though!

God, I still have nightmares about Esson's fucking kicks. I remember being at a Dons V Celtic game a few seasons back when Esson was in goals. Every time (and I literally mean every single time) he got the ball in his hands he booted it high and long down the middle to Darren Mackie who was up against Bobo Balde. Predictably Balde, being a big fucker, outjumped Mackie and won the header every time and we lost possesion. After 20 minutes it was apparent to everybody in the stadium that this wasn't working and maybe high balls weren't the best way to get past Celtic's defence, but still he continued to do it until the final whistle. Kudos to him for having faith in his tactic I suppose (note lack of plural after tactic) but it was quite frustrating, particularly for Mackie as it made him look even more shit than usual.

:laughing:

bannerman play well?

woody get a look in?

Barrowman is going to be our version of Kris Boyd I think. He'll get unfair stick from the fans for not committing himself to every header or chasing down every ball (which Graham Bayne did), but he will always get into the right goalscoring positions and most of the time bury the ball into the net (which Graham Bayne did not). I'm really glad we've got him tied to a 3 year deal, as if he learns a bit about holding up the ball from Special Brew; he could be an absolutely fantastic signing.

Wood came on for the last 10 minutes so didn't get much of a look in. Think he's starting tonight against the Danish team we are playing; i'll let you know. Really think we are too light in attack to let him go on loan to the Mighty Mo i'm afraid...

Caley have no injuries to speak of yet (despite some vicious challenges from Ross C*nty)

God, I still have nightmares about Esson's fucking kicks. I remember being at a Dons V Celtic game a few seasons back when Esson was in goals. Every time (and I literally mean every single time) he got the ball in his hands he booted it high and long down the middle to Darren Mackie who was up against Bobo Balde. Predictably Balde, being a big fucker, outjumped Mackie and won the header every time and we lost possesion. After 20 minutes it was apparent to everybody in the stadium that this wasn't working and maybe high balls weren't the best way to get past Celtic's defence, but still he continued to do it until the final whistle. Kudos to him for having faith in his tactic I suppose (note lack of plural after tactic) but it was quite frustrating, particularly for Mackie as it made him look even more shit than usual.

He made a fantastic one handed save, as well as catching everything that came in from the wings. Loads of talking to the defence which was good to see. Everytime the ball was passed back to him I cringed... must have something to do with being Russell Duncan's best man as he can't kick it either!

Montrose v Cowdenbeath

Ross County v Airdrie United

Dumbarton v Annan Athletic

Peterhead v Dunfermline

Stranraer v Morton

Alloa Athletic v Elgin City

Clyde v Queen's Park

Albion Rovers v Raith Rovers

Ayr United v Berwick Rangers

East Fife v Brechin City

Arbroath v Stirling Albion

Partick Thistle v Forfar Athletic

East Stirlingshire v Livingston

Stenhousemuir v St Johnstone

Ties to be played on 5 & 6 August.

Dunfermline at Fortress Balmoor does me fine.

We rounded off our pre-season with a 5-0 win over they who must not be mentioned. Dirty bastards are they who must not be mentioned, two of our players subbed in the first 32 minutes. and a number of shocking challenges throughout, mostly from that fat waste of space Russell McBride.

Our preseason campaign ends with three wins and a draw, 14 goals for and none against. No doubt Montrose will pap us on Saturday to bring us right back down to earth.

When he was with us, Jamie Buchan always scored goals (and good ones at that!) against Thistle, being his old club. I've no doubt he'll be on the scoresheet on Saturday.

He made a fantastic one handed save, as well as catching everything that came in from the wings. Loads of talking to the defence which was good to see. Everytime the ball was passed back to him I cringed... must have something to do with being Russell Duncan's best man as he can't kick it either!

He was always a good shot stopper, but as you say, his distribution is mince.