aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

I don't, I just enjoy the "banter" and silently judge everyone else's ridiculous opinions ;)

I know if I got involved I'd be there all day.

Aye, I was a lurker for a while, couldnae help but chime in eventually. It's the only Dons board that is constantly entertainng, though. Much better than Red Ultras and all that pish.

Love from Christy

East Fife are apparently favourite for the Second Division we're going to win this year.

They have been put firmly back in their box by a Peterhead side exuding confidence, and who controlled today's meeting without having to break sweat.

Craigy Gunn scored a 20 yard screamer into the top corner into the bargain :up:

Ach well suppose it's time to start the build up for the Dons v. ICT game on saturday...

Really looking forward to seeing a competitive match, despite the usual dross from both sides and familiar feeling of being robbed which goes along with a Dons v. ICT game :down:

If Brewster puts out the right team, we are more than capable of getting the 3 points. I don't think he will, however.

My choice:

---------------------Fraser---------------------

Tokely-------Duff--------Munro------Hastings

Cowie------Black------Duncan--------Imrie

---------------------Wilson---------------------

------------------Barrowman------------------

Brewster's probable team:

---------------------Fraser---------------------

Tokely-------McGuire----Munro------Hastings

Imrie------Black------Duncan--------McBain

---------------------Cowie---------------------

------------------Barrowman------------------

These are the players I think can win and lose us the game....

Winners:

• Andy Barrowman: scored some fantastic goals in pre season and looks lethal in the box. Decent height and speed.
  • Imrie: If he plays wide left he'll cause Foster problems. Quite tricky and has a wicked left foot. Wasted up front or on the right where Brew has tried him in pre season.
  • Black: Fantastic first touch and range of passing, along with finally starting to keep the head. Needs to move forward with the ball more though.
  • Cowie: Incredible workrate and scores some sweet strikes.

Losers:

• Tokely: Has been rotten all year and doesn't look like improving. Time for him to move aside I feel, but unfortunately Proctor (our other RB) is suspended for the first two games of the season
  • McBain: Does nothing going forward and is painfully one footed. Never liked him.
  • McGuire: Wifebeater started off really well with us, but after his injury became complacent and prone to mistakes. It was no surprise that our defence shored up every time Jamie Duff (Under 19 captain and allround good guy) came on to replace McGuire in pre season games
  • Hastings: Another who's had a bad year. I expect him to cost us a lot of goals by not stepping up with the rest of the defence at offsides.
  • Brewster: Won't make any subs till the last 15 minutes, no matter the score. He'll stick to players like McGuire and McBain because they have experience rather than giving better players like Duff, Sutherland and Vigurs a chance.

Game Prediction

I fancy us to concede at least a goal, but we are more than capable of getting a few against the Dons. So I predict it'll be a nervy 0-0 half time; with the Dons scraping it 2-1 in the second half; Miller and Smith for you guys, Barrowman for us. I'd love us to get Rooney on loan from Stoke City in time, so I can see him play in the flesh.

Let the abuse begin :love:

fucking rank performance from montrose last night. rotten 2 - 0 defeat by cowdenbeath. disgraceful

Also... rumours at ICT suggest that after we get Rooney, we're looking to nab Stevie Milne from St Johnstone. Bid has been put in which is being considered.

If we get those two in i'd fancy Garry Wood to go out on loan or (gulp) permanently.

Tommy Wright is signing tomorrow apparently. Jimmy says he was a very very promising youngster (capped for England at U-19s) who's just lost his way a little and never quite fulfilled his potential.

So he should fit in fine with the rest of the squad.

The new Jamie Winter ?(

Hope he doesn't discover Butteries and Mince and Mealie pies

Also... rumours at ICT suggest that after we get Rooney, we're looking to nab Stevie Milne from St Johnstone. Bid has been put in which is being considered.

If we get those two in i'd fancy Garry Wood to go out on loan or (gulp) permanently.

I see. Weir seems to have been confident we would get woody again, maybe this is why.

2nd division clubs are after him too so I doubt it very much

Aberdeen have released a statement on the 5% ticket issue:

Reintroduction of categories for SPL fixtures | Aberdeen | News | Club News | Club News

Key sections are :

From the Celtic home fixture scheduled for 17 January 2009 onwards ticket prices in the South Stand for all category A games will be 1 higher than for category B games. However all purchasers of these category A tickets will be entitled to a 1 discount on the price of the category B game ticket for the South Stand.

So basically, Aberdeen fans pay the same price across 2 games and OF fans cover the 5% out of their own pocket. Sweet.

Even with the additional charge Old Firm fans will pay less for tickets at Pittodrie then Aberdeen fans pay when they travel to Glasgow and less then Old Firm fans pay for any other SPL venue. The move also ensures that the same level of charges apply to both sets of fans in the South Stand therefore complying with the SPL rules.

Haha, nice.

As a result of this Aberdeen FC will pay a 5 per cent levy to Celtic and Rangers on tickets sold by them for games at Pittodrie. Consequently Aberdeen FC will charge to the Celtic and Rangers a 5 per cent levy on tickets purchased by Aberdeen supporters for Celtic Park and Ibrox.

Seems fair enough to me.

Personally I think this is a brilliant solution to the problem on a club level, but the issue as a whole should still have been raised and rejected at league level.

Guest idol_wild
BBC League predictions, of interest to you Ross, these pundits seem to think you are about due a relegation.

BBC SPORT | Football | Scottish Premier | SPL season predictions

As poor and feeble as I feel ICT are as a club, they are not relegation material this season.

I'd love to see Hamilton have a solid season - I'm looking forward to seeing some of their younger players step up a level.

BBC League predictions, of interest to you Ross, these pundits seem to think you are about due a relegation.

BBC SPORT | Football | Scottish Premier | SPL season predictions

Almost farcical predictions there for the UEFA slot. How they all think Utd will be 3rd is beyond me. No Robson or Hunt, they had a dismal end to the last season and finished 5th. They're reasons given are bollocks too "I like Craig Levein", "They had a good season last year until Robson left" or the classic "they looked good against Barca until Messi came on". Get a grip.

Don't see Caley getting relegated, think it'll be between Hamilton and St Mirren.