aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

Haha, whatever. As a mental note for you none of the 3 teams (in completely different countries) i support have had a ridiculously good start to the current season. I'm not bitching about it like a lassie with sand up her chuff like you lot though ;)

I watched the Bayern Match at the weekend and they were destroying hertha. good game.

ps. england isn't completely different Scotland.

pps. Dundee United are playing Montrose on Sunday at Links Park for the Forfarshire cup semi final if you have a free day and want to see yer team get beat, apparently Levein may send a strong team

I would never want to join Man City if I were a professional footballer (oh, if I were!). The colour of their shirt reminds me of cheap, faded plastic toys.

Regarding the money spent in EPL. It's a complete joke to equate modern football with any real, likeable or acceptable notion of sport. I can't believe how much energy this country and many others pour into consuming and producing 'football', considering what an inconsequential, cash-determined fantasy it actually is. We're all hoping the underdog will one day reign supreme, but it'll never happen beyond a few brief moments when football almost transcends this inevitable reality before sinking down into page after page of numbing speculation into a black hole know as 'the future'.

Good on Aluko. He must've enjoyed his time here and the fans love him. Screw Man City, with any luck Robinho will get sulky and turn to drink when he realises he works with Richard Dunne and their strip is a shit colour.

Guest idol_wild
I would never want to join Man City if I were a professional footballer (oh, if I were!). The colour of their shirt reminds me of cheap, faded plastic toys.

Regarding the money spent in EPL. It's a complete joke to equate modern football with any real, likeable or acceptable notion of sport. I can't believe how much energy this country and many others pour into consuming and producing 'football', considering what an inconsequential, cash-determined fantasy it actually is. We're all hoping the underdog will one day reign supreme, but it'll never happen beyond a few brief moments when football almost transcends this inevitable reality before sinking down into page after page of numbing speculation into a black hole know as 'the future'.

Good on Aluko. He must've enjoyed his time here and the fans love him. Screw Man City, with any luck Robinho will get sulky and turn to drink when he realises he works with Richard Dunne and their strip is a shit colour.

While I agree massively with your sentiment here, I feel it's a bit flippant to suggest it's inconsequential. For some people, football is quite literally life or death. It's a hugely passionate game which boils down to a lot more than just "22 men on a grass area chasing a piece of leather". It's the backbone of many cultures and it brings communities and people from completely different backgrounds together for one cause. Culturally, football is huge and very consequential all over the world.

But yes - fuck Manchester City too. The new owners seem to suggest that they will become "the World's biggest footbal club"; that really IS fantasy - Man City were 12,000 people short of a capacity crowd for their first home game of a fresh season.

And Aluko - he's an unpolished gem, but I fear Calderwood and his staff are not the right people to round off his edges.

While I agree massively with your sentiment here, I feel it's a bit flippant to suggest it's inconsequential. For some people, football is quite literally life or death. It's a hugely passionate game which boils down to a lot more than just "22 men on a grass area chasing a piece of leather". It's the backbone of many cultures and it brings communities and people from completely different backgrounds together for one cause. Culturally, football is huge and very consequential all over the world.

I'm not going to get too po-faced about it; I just don't find top-level football very interesting anymore, therefore the media indulgence in the subject for me is painful, annoying and, I think overall, a simple pandering to the interests of a dribbling majority. For example on Radio Scotland this morning, the Kevin Keegan story ran for about five minutes on 'sports roundup'. The story basically consisted of, 'yes, we're all pretty confused; has he left? has he been sacked? We just don't know, there is some evidence of this, and some evidence of that, and we have our expert from BBC Newcastle on the line, but he doesn't know either...' Similarly, read the Scottish Sun any day of the week for articles along the lines of 'McManus thinks Bhoys can take title'. Or, 'Smith tells players to buck up'. In other words; non-stories constructed from chance words in press conferences that literally bear no relation to anything.

I'm considering going to see Inverurie Locos as I actually think that could be a thousand times more exciting in the long run. Anyone been to lower league games?

I watched the Bayern Match at the weekend and they were destroying hertha. good game.

ps. england isn't completely different Scotland.

pps. Dundee United are playing Montrose on Sunday at Links Park for the Forfarshire cup semi final if you have a free day and want to see yer team get beat, apparently Levein may send a strong team

Aye, i watched the Bayern match too, as well as Spurs vs Chelsea. Missed the Dundee Utd match though.

Bayern were great, but the two previous games they played should have been no problem but both were scraped draws.

Spurs have been pretty toothless so far and i don't expect it to be much better throughout the season. We needed another striker. Pavlyuchenko is good but will need time to settle, Bent is unpredictable and Campbell is untested. I wish we'd made a proper move for Owen. I've a feeling he may be a Spurs player next season if he doesn't get bullied into a new contract. Arshavin is still a possibility in the January transfer window after the Russian league is finished.

I'm still also very unconvinced that selling Paul Robinson was a good idea. Gomes looks good and that back peddling save from Lampard's chip was sublime, but all Robinson needed was a confience boost.

As for the Utd game i have family shit on on Sunday and the Immanu El gig in the evening. So i won't be able to go :(

Guest idol_wild

I'm considering going to see Inverurie Locos as I actually think that could be a thousand times more exciting in the long run. Anyone been to lower league games?

I used to report on Junior games for the Press & Journal and the Sunday Mail for almost three years and I can tell you that I found Junior football to be a pretty mixed bag. Some of the games and rivalries were fascinating. Yet others made me wish I was dead. There are a number of former professionals in the Junior and Highland League game and given that it's usually around 3-5 entry for Junior or Highland league games I find that it is, pound-for-pound, very similar to the SPL.

It is good to point out that the guys playing at this level are not playing to earn a living - they are playing because they really want to. Therefore, you'll find a lot of passion at this level of football. Which is a key element of any sport. :up:

And Aluko - he's an unpolished gem, but I fear Calderwood and his staff are not the right people to round off his edges.

Na, JC's record of nurturing players at Pittodrie is absolutely fantastic. Diamond, Considine and Foster have all become first-team regulars under Calderwood's ample wing. Michael Hart went from a reserve to a cornerstone of the team, Lee Miller is the same. I dare say Aluko improved a heap too, though I can't be certain as I never saw him at Brum.

On the whole, if JC weren't such an insufferable tube in interviews and were judged only on footballing progress and the improvement of the team, he'd be revered. Aluko and Mulgrew will both improve dramatically with the Dons as long as they've got the stomach for the hard work.

Mon e dons!

Love from Christy

Guest idol_wild
Na, JC's record of nurturing players at Pittodrie is absolutely fantastic. Diamond, Considine and Foster have all become first-team regulars under Calderwood's ample wing. Michael Hart went from a reserve to a cornerstone of the team, Lee Miller is the same. I dare say Aluko improved a heap too, though I can't be certain as I never saw him at Brum.

I'll give you Michael Hart. He was a walking tragedy before Calderwood took over. However, I'm not giving you Diamond as he was progressing swimmingly under Skovdhal (sic) anyway. Considine and Foster are indeed first-teamers, but neither of whom I rate at all. In fact, Foster is a liability. In my opinion, he is not SPL standard. All he has is a bit of pace and relative work rate.

Lee Miller was a far better player when he was turning out for Dundee United and Hearts in particular. Though I do think he's one of Aberdeen's better players, but he seemed more dynamic at previous clubs, in addition to being a genuine goal threat.

I'll give you Michael Hart. He was a walking tragedy before Calderwood took over. However, I'm not giving you Diamond as he was progressing swimmingly under Skovdhal (sic) anyway. Considine and Foster are indeed first-teamers, but neither of whom I rate at all. In fact, Foster is a liability. In my opinion, he is not SPL standard. All he has is a bit of pace and relative work rate.

Lee Miller was a far better player when he was turning out for Dundee United and Hearts in particular. Though I do think he's one of Aberdeen's better players, but he seemed more dynamic at previous clubs, in addition to being a genuine goal threat.

Que? Lee Miller was disastrous at Dundee Utd. They GAVE him to us, FFS! He was good at Hearts, but he only played 19 games if memory serves. He has improved immeasurably under Calderwood.

Foster has quietly gone from being a liability to being a decent first-teamer in the space of a season. Similarly, Andy Considine. While I'm not saying they're world beaters, they have done a good job of late and will continue to improve.

My point is that JC's ability to turn walking holocausts into better players is often overlooked. A lot of people refuse to recognise the improvement in Derek Young, but it's there for all to see. Players want to work hard for Calderwood, for whatever reason.

Love from Christy

Guest idol_wild
Que? Lee Miller was disastrous at Dundee Utd. They GAVE him to us, FFS! He was good at Hearts, but he only played 19 games if memory serves. He has improved immeasurably under Calderwood.

Foster has quietly gone from being a liability to being a decent first-teamer in the space of a season. Similarly, Andy Considine. While I'm not saying they're world beaters, they have done a good job of late and will continue to improve.

My point is that JC's ability to turn walking holocausts into better players is often overlooked. A lot of people refuse to recognise the improvement in Derek Young, but it's there for all to see. Players want to work hard for Calderwood, for whatever reason.

Love from Christy

We'll have to agree to disagree for the most part on this, Christy-poops. I often find myself watching Aberdeen games and saying "Jesus fuck, Considine!" and "Foster, you are fucking kidding me!". Considine has been getting some good press lately, but for my liking, he's not good enough yet. Foster takes the biscuit for me. I think he is absolutely woeful. Almost at the same level as Chris Maguire.

Lee Miller's goalscoring ratio to games played was better at Dundee United than it is at Aberdeen currently. I'm not arguing about his ability here, he just isn't a goal threat at all anymore, whereas at previous clubs he was - especially Falkirk and Hearts. Sure, he's crucial to the style of football we deploy (long, direct balls to his napper for flick-ons into spaces no Aberdeen players are populating *sigh*), but as our striking talisman, he doesn't pose nearly enough of a goal threat.

He's brilliant at winning penalties, mind.

Que? Lee Miller was disastrous at Dundee Utd. They GAVE him to us, FFS!

Actually, his goal per game ratio (in the SPL) was marginally better, 1 in every 4.6 games, for Dundee Utd than it is at Aberdeen, 1 in 5.

He's shit regardless. Noel Hunt was a much better striker for us than that donkey. I'm glad we bundled him and that oaf Duff in your general direction for monkey nuts.

Guest idol_wild
Actually, his goal per game ratio (in the SPL) was marginally better, 1 in every 4.6 games, for Dundee Utd than it is at Aberdeen, 1 in 5.

Oi! You! Stop posting my exact thoughts seconds after I post them.

Though you are obviously more bored at work to be calculating the actual ratios ;)

Oi! You! Stop posting my exact thoughts seconds after I post them.

Though you are obviously more bored at work to be calculating the actual ratios ;)

Haha, it's usually the other way round :p

I'm actually lounging around at home just now as i have a day off. The excitement of sticking CDs onto my HDD gives me a little free time for calculating ratios.

Back on topic though, Aluko is a great signing for Aberdeen. A raw talent with bags of pace, waiting to be crafted into a good young player. I think Calderwood will get more out of him than if he'd stayed in the reserves at Birmingham. It'll be interesting to see how he progresses and if he lives up to his potential. 50k or 70k depending on reports is an absolute bargain though.

I have found that lower league football is far more entertaining, romantic, funny and frustrating as a footballing and social experience. I take great pride in my home town team and all of its recent youth and community developments (which were non existant when I was 12 and at LP most weekends). I like the fact that a large core of the MFC supporters get to know each other well, travel together, and have become (suffering) friends.

Incorrect.

He's one of Aberdeen's most important players, and providing we now play our wingers on the wing and get some decent crosses in from the likes of Smith, Mulgrew and now Aluko, Miller will be all like head-head-head, goal-goal-goal. Boom!

I stand corrected if the addition of one player happens to bring out some deeply buried "talent" from Lee Miller but as of this moment having experienced a year of him at Utd and his jittering form at Aberdeen, i remain unmoved.

Stewart is actually quite a good player. Hid temper and attitude let him down on occasion but for the most part he's pretty solid and reliable and his distribution is pretty good too. I can think of worse midfielders to have in the side.

Yeah, me too, and I agree with you - he's solid and a good passer. But international quality? No way.

Guest idol_wild
Incorrect.

He's one of Aberdeen's most important players, and providing we now play our wingers on the wing and get some decent crosses in from the likes of Smith, Mulgrew and now Aluko, Miller will be all like head-head-head, goal-goal-goal. Boom!

Here's hoping.