aberdeen-music

Naming your band

FatHand

Just having that age old dilemma of naming a new band. Anyone got any band naming techniques. I'm usually of the opinion that the name becomes good if the music is good (purely by association) but sometimes a good name is enough to intrigue the passer by to watch.

Thoughts?

Some suggestions using this technique:

Oerlikon balzers coating

Lustig

A Couch in New York

Tazarene

Judo at the 2004 Summer Olympics

USS Chase County

New Communist Party Of The Netherlands

It's a funk band so has to be funkay so possibly out of those... Party Communists Of The Netherlands is best

To me there are only two rules

1- It must look good written down

2- It must sound good when you say it

My opinion was that A.K.A. the Fox adhered to the first rule, but not really the second, but I never chose it so I went with it. I think Mondragon fits both bills though, and always have.

I quite like 'New Communist Party of the Netherlands' can I have that one?

To me there are only two rules

1- It must look good written down

2- It must sound good when you say it

My opinion was that A.K.A. the Fox adhered to the first rule, but not really the second, but I never chose it so I went with it. I think Mondragon fits both bills though, and always have.

I quite like 'New Communist Party of the Netherlands' can I have that one?

you may have it :up:

Just having that age old dilemma of naming a new band. Anyone got any band naming techniques.

Get every band member in the room and don't allow anyone to leave until you've reached a decision.

I'm usually of the opinion that the name becomes good if the music is good (purely by association) but sometimes a good name is enough to intrigue the passer by to watch.

I think that pretty much sums it up, but I don't think the passer by scenario is significant enough to agonise over the name for ages.

---------------------------------

'A Couch in New York', and 'Judo at the 2004 Summer Olympics' I like for their sheer oddity.

After a few practices everyone had a few names in mind an we sat down an agreed on one...

I think as time goes on a name will come to you naturally an it will mean somethin to the band as a whole...as apposed to gettin it off expedia...not that there is anything wrong with that either!

8-)

Name yourselves after a book, or something.

Has to be obscure enough for no-one to have read it, though.

Find a friend who is due up in court. Then name yourselves after his attorney, who will be unable to get your friend off the charge.

Worked for me.

Love from Christy x

Good to see that your puttiing the effort in although I would never rely on a random band generator to give you a name. As was previously mentioned, it'll come in time, it'll come natuarally but it should look and sound good. I mean 'The all-for-nots'. I ask ye?!? You just know they're gonna be shit!