aberdeen-music

The Xcerts MTV Spanking New Session..

Murray

Why does anyone even bother reacting to Stripey in these threads? He was never going to like it so there's no point trying to change his mind or have a go at him for it.

Doubt The Xcerts are losing any sleep over the fact Stripey doesn't like them, he's not exactly their core audience.

Doubt The Xcerts are losing any sleep over the fact Stripey doesn't like them, he's not exactly their core audience.

Exactly, I've done my best to not get too involved in this thread. I know the X-Certs as friends as well as thinking they are a great band, and I don't feel too much need to get involved in a debate (as I pointed out in my first post) with a guy who is not going to understand their background and influences.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I'm hardly going to praise a band I think are shit, just because they're from where I live... o_O

Yeah, never understood that one either.

:up:

If you think my opinion is worthless because I don't particularly like that kind of music, your opinion is equally as worthless since your just arselicking yer mates band, in typical abdn-music.com fashion.

They are a band who played regularly in Aberdeen for years, plenty of people on these forums know them and it’s not about 'arselicking' or praising them just because of where they are from. As Jan Deal said, he’s not a fan of the band but he’s happy to see an Aberdonian band do well. I’m sure it’s not a concept that appeals to you, but there are lots of people who have grown up with the concept of some kind of local ‘scene’ which has been, in my opinion, under-represented in relation to successful bands from Aberdeen. I’m happy when any band from Aberdeen (whether they still live here or not) does well because it can do wonders for a small cities music scene.

Think about what’s happened in places like Sheffield or even Dundee to an extent recently, successful bands have done wonders for the profile of the music scene’s there. Your talking about ‘typical Aberdeen-Music fashion’ but anyone who has posted on here for any length of time will tell you if there’s one thing this city is known for it’s the back-biting and lack of support for bands who’ve had a bit of success. I’m not saying anybody should pretend they love a band because they were born in the same city (Christ knows there’s a heap of bands in Aberdeen I loathe!), but there’s absolutely no sense of cohesion or appreciation for hard-working bands doing well anymore. No wonder every one is having to get out of this city to make something for themselves. To quote Trainspotting ‘it’s a shite state of affairs’.

to the total idiot slating the x-certs:

1. what is wrong with you? the x-certs are superb, especially live

2. even if you have some kind of good excuse, like you are hard of hearing, - an aberdeen band is doing really well - be more supportive.

3. if you must criticise, at least be constructive

4. nmnmnmnmnmnmnmumumumumuionmnmnm

to the total idiot slating the x-certs:

1. what is wrong with you? the x-certs are superb, especially live

2. even if you have some kind of good excuse, like you are hard of hearing, - an aberdeen band is doing really well - be more supportive.

3. if you must criticise, at least be constructive

4. nmnmnmnmnmnmnmumumumumuionmnmnm

Aaaaargh

While I kind of like to see an Aberdeen band do well, if there's a thread in Music Discussion about a band then it's entirely acceptable to be critical of said band's music in that thread regardless of their provenance. I find the X-Certs to be insipid sub-Biffy pop-rock, and while I like to see an Aberdeen band do well part of me thinks I'd rather my city wasn't represented by a band that sounds like that. I don't mean any ill will to the X-certs personally though.

Think about what’s happened in places like Sheffield or even Dundee to an extent recently, successful bands have done wonders for the profile of the music scene’s there.

are you serious? you think 'bands' (i saw that loosely, since they can't play their instruments...) like the view getting exposure is a good thing? incidently, the view and the glut of woefully horrendous bands that sprung up in the wake of their success are not representative of the music scene in dundee. Avast! etc have got their modicum of success on the merits of their own music.

Again, why should I support (or praise, whatever) a band I think are pretty shit? I would rather have good bands (god forbid) all over mtv/radio/whatever, regardless of where they're from. Any profile the x-certs gain doesn't help me at all, as a musician living in aberdeen, since they don't play any of the types of music I want to. In my experience, the city is already full of indie-rock 'musicians', who can list all the cool bands they are 'influenced' by and want you to be into as well, but can't tell you what key their songs are in.

are you serious? you think 'bands' (i saw that loosely, since they can't play their instruments...) like the view getting exposure is a good thing? incidently, the view and the glut of woefully horrendous bands that sprung up in the wake of their success are not representative of the music scene in dundee. .

agreed the endless list of bands like the view, enemy, the this the that and the next shitey upstroke indie pashmina wearing fan wank is driving me up the wall.

For instance, I've seen many a band that can barely scrape together enough cash to get to their next date but have loads of ability and awesome music...and then there is stuff like the view who can't play properly and are basically indie-ned wankers making lods of money from gullible sheep idiots.

sorry that was slightly off topic...but there it is.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
an aberdeen band is doing really well - be more supportive.

Why? Just because they're from the same part of the world? Come on, that's a really lazy argument.

:up:

agreed the endless list of bands like the view, enemy, the this the that and the next shitey upstroke indie pashmina wearing fan wank is driving me up the wall.

For instance, I've seen many a band that can barely scrape together enough cash to get to their next date but have loads of ability and awesome music...and then there is stuff like the view who can't play properly and are basically indie-ned wankers making lods of money from gullible sheep idiots.

sorry that was slightly off topic...but there it is.

As much as I utterly detest the View, I don't detest them half as much as I do you for all your "can't play properly" yabbering.