aberdeen-music

Best Guitarist?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Jimi Hendrix? Predictable, yes, but only because he was the most revolutionary guitarist EVER!!!! The likes of Van Halen wouldn't have been able to identify their unique style. Hendrix took his style from NOWHERE. Nobody was there for him to take the sound from, and he just created the sound that is truelly timeless, and totally changed the way we played guitar from then on. Van Halen was kind of original like hendrix, but not nearly as important a figure. Technically, Hendrix is not the greatest guitarist (tho by all means hes still fucking awesome), but i can't imagine anyone EVER overtaking hendrix in the ranks. He gave birth to distortion. He was the original, and pulled it out from nowhere.

Also his song writing really brought the blues forward, and is simply amazing. You can NOT blow this man off...

True, hendrix did start a lot of things so yeah i guess he is the best, I wish I coulda been a lowly 60s guitarist, goto woodstock and see hendrix divebombing all over the place - awesome!

eddy took things to an even higher level. He's fast enough without being overthe top, i.e not wanky -he plays solos to take a song forward, so he is tapping speed crazy yet tasteful, which is pretty special.

Originally posted by bryn:

True, hendrix did start a lot of things so yeah i guess he is the best, I wish I coulda been a lowly 60s guitarist, goto woodstock and see hendrix divebombing all over the place - awesome!

eddy took things to an even higher level. He's fast enough without being overthe top, i.e not wanky -he plays solos to take a song forward, so he is tapping speed crazy yet tasteful, which is pretty special.

Eddie was the second guy to take rock guitar playing to the next level

I can't help feeling this thread is all about technique and speed...

Hendrix and Van Halen are justified answers, but Satriani? He just came straight out of Van Halen. Vaughan, who i love, came right out of Hendrix too.

And for the hell of it, i'll throw in another two of my favourites (but not the best)

Mark Knopfler, Dave Gilmour

Originally posted by thesultanofswing86:

but Satriani? He just came straight out of Van Halen.

No he didn't. He was straight out of Hendrix. He wasnted to BE Jimmy. Even ask him.

My favourite guitarists are:

John Petrucci

Michael Ammott

Marty Friedman

johnny marr when he in the smiths, most of the stuff i've heard from him outwith the band has been pretty bland and uninspiring with the exception of his work with the the

same with john squire of the stone roses, i really like some of the 'licks' on the led zeppelin inspired album second coming but like marr his other work is mainly unispiring and bland (e.g seahorses!)

Originally posted by Mouse:

Eddie was the second guy to take rock guitar playing to the next level

If you re-read what i posted it says along the lines Eddie took guitar to 'EVEN higher level', not 'eddie was the first guy to take playing to a new level'

I think both Eddie and Hendrix where the two most influencial players in guitar based music, due to both their inspiring playing and popularity (as bands) among the masses. Sure Petrucci is 'better' but he's never gonna sell as many records.

Originally posted by bryn:

If you re-read what i posted it says along the lines Eddie took guitar to 'EVEN higher level', not 'eddie was the first guy to take playing to a new level'

I think both Eddie and Hendrix where the two most influencial players in guitar based music, due to both their inspiring playing and popularity (as bands) among the masses. Sure Petrucci is 'better' but he's never gonna sell as many records.

I agree with that :cheers: