aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Planes Trains & Automobiles - Classic 80's odd-couple movie starring Steve Martin and John Candy as two very different personalities who find themselves having to try and get from Kansas to Chicago in 2 days with no money. Some genuine laugh out loud moments, and it has the warm fuzzy feeling of classic John Hughes.

The Book of Eli

Denzel Washington plays a lone traveller in a post-Apocalyptic world who runs into Gary Oldmans bad guy who runs a small town community and who is searching for a book that he suspects Denzel is carrying. Denzel does a runner so a chase ensues. Denzel plays a good bad ass in this film. It is reminiscent of lots of things like Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome, I Am Legend, Escape From New York, that kind of thing, it looks really good and I really quite liked it.

9/10.

Every Which Way But Loose/Any Which Way You Can

Another part of my ongoing Clint Eastwood retrospective that is happening as I slowly upgrade my Eastwood collection to DVD when I find things on the cheap (this 2 DVD set was 5 on Play.com). These are the oddball comedies from the late 70s/early 80s that starred the orang-utan called Clyde and Geoffrey Lewis (Juliettes old man). Clint plays Philo Beddowe, a bare knuckle boxer who falls for Sondra Lockes country singer in EWWBL before she does a runner and he tracks her down and is forced into a contest with a nasty fighter by mobsters in AWWYC. The worlds most crap biker gang, The Black Widows, feature in both and are the source of most of the laughs. Probably not Clints career high points but they remain watchable.

7/10 for both.

last cinema visit, went to see "Hot Tub Time Machine".......

Bunch of losers go back in time to 1986, through the medium of a broken hot tub...where they eventually, through trouble & strife, manage to change the outcome of their future life...

Nae too bad, had it's moments. Would recommend saving your money & knicking the DVD off a mate though.

The trailer for "Get him to the Greek" looked reet good though....:up:

Planes Trains & Automobiles

Good call. Comedy GOLD!!!

The Losers - took The Kid to see this yesterday as she was off school and it was the only movie she could get into (12A) that was on at the time. Not bad at all. Jeffery Dean Morgan (Watchmen) makes a good leading man and looks like the perfect hybrid of George Clooney, Robert Downey Jnr and Javier Barden. It's a sci-fi-esque A-team type story about crack marines framed by an evil CIA boss. Zoe Saldana has a kick-ass role and looks utterly gorgeous.

*** + 1/2 star for having the lovely Zoe in.

Rock Star - Loosely based on the Ripper Owens/Judas Priest story, Mark Wahlberg plays the singer in a tribute band who gets the opportunity to join his idols, Steel Dragon. Co-starring Dominic West (The Wire), Jennifer Aniston, Timothy Spall, Jason Bonham and a fresh-faced Zakk Wylde. Pretty good.

*** 1/2

Good call. Comedy GOLD!!!

The Losers - took The Kid to see this yesterday as she was off school and it was the only movie she could get into (12A) that was on at the time. Not bad at all. Jeffery Dean Morgan (Watchmen) makes a good leading man and looks like the perfect hybrid of George Clooney, Robert Downey Jnr and Javier Barden. It's a sci-fi-esque A-team type story about crack marines framed by an evil CIA boss. Zoe Saldana has a kick-ass role and looks utterly gorgeous.

*** + 1/2 star for having the lovely Zoe in.

Rock Star - Loosely based on the Ripper Owens/Judas Priest story, Mark Wahlberg plays the singer in a tribute band who gets the opportunity to join his idols, Steel Dragon. Co-starring Dominic West (The Wire), Jennifer Aniston, Timothy Spall, Jason Bonham and a fresh-faced Zakk Wylde. Pretty good.

*** 1/2

Steel Dragon! Love that film.

Leap Year pretty much a predictable pile of poop that goes ON and ON and ON for AGES! May appeal to young teenage girls looking for rom-com...but not the people who post I wouldn't think

Taxi Driver wow I forgot how good this film was and how many famous people were in it (always seem to think it's just RD) Harvey K has an awesome hairdo in it too

Month Pythons Life of Brian hysterical!

Stalker which was almost completely unwatchable. Nothing happens in this film, it's just turn-about grim philisophical monologues by old Russian men lying in puddles. I could handle Solaris, for the most part, but this is just too much to ask.

Hardware

Picked this up on Bluray for a tenner on Play.com, not seen it in years. Plot-wise it's still not bad - set in the future, a desert wanderer finds scattered pieces of a robot and sells them to a soldier who in turn gives them as a present to his artist girlfriend who makes pieces out of metallic junk. The robot turns out to be a self-generating war machine who then causes much mayhem in her apartment to a soundtrack of Ministry and Public Image Limited. It's showing it's age in terms of effects, the robot looks a bit Johnny 5 at times.

7/10.

Went to see [Rec]2 last night.

Follows on exactly where the first film left off. It was pretty brutal in places and quite tense. I kinda got and liked the route they went down but won't go into too much detail in case it spoils anything for anyone.

Pretty much set up for a third one which I read has been confirmed.

Worth a watch.

Looking For Eric

A postman in Manchester is going off the rails, he is struggling to deal with his 2 teenage stepsons after his second wife left him and also the fact he abandoned his first wife soon after the birth of his daughter. After one of his postie mates comes up with a therapeutic technique involving speaking to an imaginary hero, he starts receiving life advice from his choice, Eric Cantona. I really enjoyed this film, Cantona is a great sport in it, sending up his public persona. It's frequently funny as fuck despite the slightly downbeat subject matter. Ken Loach film though so to be expected, best one of his I've seen in a while. Even if you aren't particularly a football follower like me it's a good watch.

9/10

Xtro

After a recent discussion on it I obtained from Amazon to see how it stood up. Pretty poorly if truth be told, has aged very badly and the bits that stuck in my mind, such as a woman giving birth to a fully grown man, remain the only points of note. Well, apart from future Bond girl Miryam DAbo in the buff.

3/10

Zombieland

A rewatch but worth mentioning again as its even better on 2nd view.

10/10

Funny People

Finally plumped for watching this and glad I did as its pretty good, lots of laugh out loud lines and only let down by Apatow not knowing how to edit and so its too long as with most of his films.

9/10

Alice in Wonderland

Visually pretty amazing and not too bad a storyline.

9/10

The Grudge - I last watched this when it first came out and remember the fucker being a real nerve-shredder. Thought I would be immune to it the second time, having already watched it. Not to be. Fuck me this is a scary bastard of a film. I actually had nightmares last night! It's not actually that good, just terrifying.

*** for the film, ***** for the scares.

Watching Grudge 2 tonight....

The Grudge - I last watched this when it first came out and remember the fucker being a real nerve-shredder. Thought I would be immune to it the second time, having already watched it. Not to be. Fuck me this is a scary bastard of a film. I actually had nightmares last night! It's not actually that good, just terrifying.

*** for the film, ***** for the scares.

Watching Grudge 2 tonight....

As in the original one or SMG one?