aberdeen-music

What dance music do you guys listen to at the moment?

Guest Giles Walker

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Giles Walker

I adore Holy Fuck, i was actually working on a re edit of one of their tunes so i could play it ot more. I bet they would kill it live.

On a similiar borderline dance band, has anyone checked out Turzi? Some french or german dude who makes weird electronic Krautrock sounding stuff. Ace

Right now it's all about Bass for me, L-vis 1990, Drop the Lime, Pirate Soundsystem (who we have just interviewed on the blog) Herve, Sinden, Switch, Crookers, Bulgarian, Dexplicit, Benga, Duke Dumont, Toddla T, Rustie, Blaqstarr, Seiji, Boy 8-Bit, Modeselektor are all on rotation at my nights and at home.

There is so much good dance music going around at the moment, it's a shame Kef are stuck in the 90s with their music policy.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

my favourite is NYC cut & paste, lots of it bootlegs, fun stuff to listen to, a bit of a pisser to DJ with though as it's always changing around and most of it's pretty sloppy tempo wise! re-edits fall into this category too

also like early jungle/dnb, electro/electrofunk/freestyle and all that pish

I really dislike the whole craze over Ed Banger records. It's not that i particularly dislike the music they put out, it's more the people that listen to it (i know, yeah, that sounds pretty bad). When i think of Ed Banger records, i just see 15 year old girls thinking Justice are the first group to ever use 'computers' in their music.

Anyway, i don't know if you'd call them dance, but, The Field, Apparat, Vitalic, Bola, The Flashbulb, Kelpe, -Ziq etc..., Mu, Basic Channel and Kompact records are all great.

I've also been listening to the latest LCD soundsystem while running, and it's pretty good.

Oh, and the new Clark record is way more dance orientated than Body Riddle. Pretty good though.

I really dislike the whole craze over Ed Banger records. It's not that i particularly dislike the music they put out, it's more the people that listen to it (i know, yeah, that sounds pretty bad). When i think of Ed Banger records, i just see 15 year old girls thinking Justice are the first group to ever use 'computers' in their music.

Fookin word.

really? you reckon they don't even know about daft punk or fatboy slim?

Guest Giles Walker
my favourite is NYC cut & paste, lots of it bootlegs, fun stuff to listen to, a bit of a pisser to DJ with though as it's always changing around and most of it's pretty sloppy tempo wise! re-edits fall into this category too

also like early jungle/dnb, electro/electrofunk/freestyle and all that pish

Now you're talking my language, i have tonnes of early cut and paste records. What's your fave? Mine's either Coldcut - Say Kids What Time Is It? (i have an original white label 12") or Think Tank - A Knife And A Fork.

As for mixing it, there is a clue of how to do it in the name.

Guest idol_wild

I still really like Holden.

Alex Smoke, The Field, Holy Fuck, Daft Punk, B. Fleischmann, Styrofoam.

Although it could be argued that those final two don't fall into the 'dance' category. Though I could quite easily dance to many of their tunes.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Now you're talking my language, i have tonnes of early cut and paste records. What's your fave? Mine's either Coldcut - Say Kids What Time Is It? (i have an original white label 12") or Think Tank - A Knife And A Fork.

As for mixing it, there is a clue of how to do it in the name.

aye, but beatmatching some of the sloppier stuff (such as bozo meko fusion beats) needs to be done at choice moments or it ends up sounding shitty in my opinion. one of my faves is to go from the outro of the eran james sample with the heavy intro beat of double D & steinski lesson 2 (not sure of the sample, it might be something kurtis blow used?).

fave cut n paste tracks are Lesson 3 by double d & steinski (i've got it on a record with all three original lessons, 3 is definitely the best though!) and lesson 5 by jurassic five/cut chemist (wish i could get a vinyl with this on it) and if you can count them, the live death mixes by bambaataa

Guest Giles Walker

Lesson 5?

I thought it was never made because both Dj Shadow and Cut Chemist had made seperate versions of lesson 4.

Were you thinking of lesson 6 maybe? there are two versions of that, or maybe it was lesson 7 by Dj Bombjack, it could even be English Lesson by Dj Format.

I have a Tommy Boy copy of The Lessons, it's one of the most expensive records i have ever bought, i even contemplated buying an original Disconet copy of lesson 3 for 75 pounds but decided it was stupid.

Unfortunately at the 2002 Scottish B boy champs i placed my pint on top of the monitor speaker and the vibrations made it fall onto my cherished lessons 12" which kinda wrecked it.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Lesson 5?

I thought it was never made because both Dj Shadow and Cut Chemist had made seperate versions of lesson 4.

Were you thinking of lesson 6 maybe? there are two versions of that, or maybe it was lesson 7 by Dj Bombjack, it could even be English Lesson by Dj Format.

I have a Tommy Boy copy of The Lessons, it's one of the most expensive records i have ever bought, i even contemplated buying an original Disconet copy of lesson 3 for 75 pounds but decided it was stupid.

Unfortunately at the 2002 Scottish B boy champs i placed my pint on top of the monitor speaker and the vibrations made it fall onto my cherished lessons 12" which kinda wrecked it.

yeah i meant lesson six, but i've only heard one version! i placed an order at hhv.de this month that included a DJ Format bootleg called 'stealin james' - heard of it? unfortunately those wacky germans fucked up my order and made me place it again, and now i cant afford it, but next month it will be mine!

Guest Giles Walker
yeah i meant lesson six, but i've only heard one version! i placed an order at hhv.de this month that included a DJ Format bootleg called 'stealin james' - heard of it? unfortunately those wacky germans fucked up my order and made me place it again, and now i cant afford it, but next month it will be mine!

I hadn't actually heard this record you speak of but it looks to be based on the 1980s tape edit by Danny Krivit called 'Feelin James'

I had heard that Dj Format made bootleg cut and paste tunes but when i asked him about it when he was playing up here he said "i wish i did make bootlegs but i am far too lazy for that" I guess he has changed his mind as this is pretty damn fly.

You might also like the Salaam Remi cut up of James Brown classics, Coldcut and Norman Cook both have valiant attempts from the 80s.

The best one is always gonna be Lesson 2 though

Guest Tam o' Shantie
I hadn't actually heard this record you speak of but it looks to be based on the 1980s tape edit by Danny Krivit called 'Feelin James'

I had heard that Dj Format made bootleg cut and paste tunes but when i asked him about it when he was playing up here he said "i wish i did make bootlegs but i am far too lazy for that" I guess he has changed his mind as this is pretty damn fly.

You might also like the Salaam Remi cut up of James Brown classics, Coldcut and Norman Cook both have valiant attempts from the 80s.

The best one is always gonna be Lesson 2 though

may even be a complete fake then!

hhv.de (hiphopvinyl.de) - DJ Format - Stealin James (12")

still for sale, on TD (Totally Dodgy) Records

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Giles Walker
Enjoyed the Cut Copy 'So Cosmic' mix that the guardian gave me the heads up for on friday, and that Drums of Death mix on your site Giles, ta. In the deen next week, when you playin' and where.

Yeah that Cut Copy mix is really good (grab it from their blog folks) i always wonder whether i should link up to things like this on my blog but i figure t is so heavily done elsewhere people must know about it. Also most of the people who look at the blog are not from Aberdeen unfortunately, although we get over a hundred hits a day at the moment.

Next week i am playing Monday at Snafu, Wednesday at 99, Friday at Snafu again and i am not sure if i am playing on Saturday yet. I would come to the Friday night gig as i am gonna get Kuda to get up and do some club rap during my set.

Dance music-wise i have to say that DFA are releasing some great stuff at the moment. The Still Going single was a masterpiece of 90s piano house the way it should have been done, The Holy Ghost! single is great as an instrumental or played as the vocal version and the most recent single by Syclops is simply one of the best dance records i have heard in ages.

That's not even mentioning the Shit Robot, Juan Maclean and Delia Gonzalez and Gavin Russom singles that were/are released in the last/next couple of months.

They may have fucked poor old Trevor Jackson over slightly, by upping and leaving Output records with most of his acts, but they are really on fire right now.

Did anyone listen to the Laidback Luke Essential Mix on Radio 1 i looked at the tracklisting and it looks pretty hype. His track with Steve Angello "Be" has been huge for me recently.

Guest Giles Walker

99 is an Estaminet-ish type bar next to the taxi rank on Back Wynd. It's pretty chilled out and i enjoy playing there.

On a different topic, what the hell is up with Kef right now?

Have you seen the flier for their Techno night? it looks like a prop poster for a fake night at the club in Eastenders. Their whole music policy at the moment really pisses me off, it seems they are full of djs who are so out of touch they probably don't know any music that even came out this millenium.

It is a crying shame that as the only other club in town playing underground dance music, next to Snafu, they choose to play host to such lackluster nights. I mean who the fuck listens to new school breaks any more? and who the fuck cares about the Freestylers?

Do any of the djs from there post on here? I'd love to hear a different opinion.