aberdeen-music

Amp repair.....

GraemeC

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i have a marshall avt150h i need fixed, it just stopped workin one practice, there was a little bit of smoke comin out of it, and at the moment it cut out there was a spark or 2 i think, if theres anybody out there with any suggestions on where i could take it, thatd be much appreciated, its not under warranty or anything now, so looking for a fairly cheap repair job :up:

my marshall avt275 stopped working same kind of circumstances cranial mind

obviously there is a demand for somewhere to repair amps in aberdeen, cant someone pick up on this and use their skills to make some money and benifit all us whos got duffed amps?

im sure if they have competitive prices and are reliable then people are going use the service

this is from the official marshall site, maybe this is why theres no amp repair people?

9a - My amplifier is no longer under warranty where I can get it serviced and how much will it cost?

All Marshall service work in the UK is carried out at the Marshall factory in Bletchley. We do not have any other service engineers or centres based in the country. To have your amplifier serviced we can arrange collection from a business address, you can make an appointment and have it looked at while you wait or you are able to leave your unit with us. Please contact our Returns Department on 01908 375411 if you would like to arrange collection or make an appointment. You will be contacted with a free quote before going ahead with any repairs but we cannot give an estimated cost before seeing the amplifier. There will be a carriage charge if our couriers collect and return your amplifier and this will need to be paid regardless if you go ahead with the repair.

my main question would be WHY cant there be engineers in other places of the country?, or do they just love that you have to go to all the effort of paying to send ur amp back and go through all the hassle of not having an amp while you wait for weeks before you get it back.:swearing:

i like marshall amps but that is bullshit

this is from the official marshall site, maybe this is why theres no amp repair people?

my main question would be WHY cant there be engineers in other places of the country?, or do they just love that you have to go to all the effort of paying to send ur amp back and go through all the hassle of not having an amp while you wait for weeks before you get it back.:swearing:

i like marshall amps but that is bullshit

It's called quality control. It's something that high profile, established firms like to do so as to assure that repairs are done by people who are certified. There are many other firms in the electronics business that do that.

the marshall avt series are without doubt one of the worst series of amplifiers built

gash sounding, over expensive and unreliable are ways I would describe em, a few pals who work in music retail will also testify this. also had a pal whos avt head broke about 5 times in 3 years

do yourself a favour and get rid of the thing asap, you could get a real amp for that kind of money

It has started cutting out after a period... I suspect it is heat related, its now several years old and really should have been serviced, is this something you would tackle?

G, it sounds like a cold solder joint. Open it up and hit all the connections with some fresh solder and see of the problem goes away before you do anything else.

the marshall avt series are without doubt one of the worst series of amplifiers built

gash sounding, over expensive and unreliable are ways I would describe em, a few pals who work in music retail will also testify this. also had a pal whos avt head broke about 5 times in 3 years

do yourself a favour and get rid of the thing asap, you could get a real amp for that kind of money

correct. from what i've seen/heard AVTs are seriously(!) unreliable and produce a very sub-stanmdard sound. there is no - despite what marshall say - sculpting to the sound. with the EQs everything seems a bit too weak or a bit too powerful. the effects loop makes odd noises and just doesnt sound very good. i reckon you actually get a better overdrive sound out of a 40 marshall 10w practice amp.

well ive never had any issues with my avt other than the 2 times its broken , both in the same practice situation in a dusty barn so chances are the environment affected it, i got it years ago when i was was lookin to upgrade from my old valvestate 100w combo, and to be honest id say ive got my moneys worth over the years, was thinkin bout a new amp but would it be worth spending hundreds on another amp when i could repair the one ive got for 100 or sumthin? was lookin at the randall g3 150h they look tasty .....

well ive never had any issues with my avt other than the 2 times its broken , both in the same practice situation in a dusty barn so chances are the environment affected it, i got it years ago when i was was lookin to upgrade from my old valvestate 100w combo, and to be honest id say ive got my moneys worth over the years, was thinkin bout a new amp but would it be worth spending hundreds on another amp when i could repair the one ive got for 100 or sumthin? was lookin at the randall g3 150h they look tasty .....

It really is. You can pick up a Peavey Valve King Head for 350 or something off GAK and i reckon that tone would suit what you want perfectly. I might be wrong, but from what I've heard they produce pretty good tone and have clarity even when you crank the drive. It has valves, so you will have to have 'check ups' every so often, but its probably worth it. Or you can fork out for something you'd keep for life - maybe a JCM 800/900?

' date=' post: 445653"']I thought they were meant to be really good. bummer. Why is that then?

i believe the 900's use diode clipping which produces the more fuzzy sound, wheather or not that makes it better or worse is up to your ears really!

there is a few good sounding laney's out there as well, depending on the preamp valves you put in them you can get some great sounds. mine's not been treated to great in the past tho which makes it a bit tempremental sometimes