aberdeen-music

studio fluff

Stripey

That does indeed make no sense ?(

It makes perfect sense, you may not agree with it, but it makes sense. It's no different from me saying the world is flat, you may not agree with it, because there's scientific evidence to the contrary, but it does make sense.

I didn't find it a patricularly effective atmospheric piece either.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what this reminds me of... I don't mind it though, very atmospheric. There are some nice sounds in there, you've used some of these before in the last tune you posted up a while ago? Are the beats you have used sounds that you have created too?

I take it this was an experiment or a tune you didn't want to progress any further. Where can I hear some of your other stuff that isn't just for a bit of fun or you mucking around, I would like to hear something you are proud of.

It makes perfect sense, you may not agree with it, but it makes sense. It's no different from me saying the world is flat, you may not agree with it, because there's scientific evidence to the contrary, but it does make sense.

Heh, that's a pretty dodgy analogy. So you're suggesting you were typing primative nonsense?

The 'world is flat' analogy is plain wrong, as only the craziest sort of fundamentalist nutjob denies the certifiable FACT that the world is spherical, its not something open to opinion, it is false, it does not "make sense".

PS crackin' line about the use of MicroKorgs by indie bands, so true, cf. Drive By Arguement and many more.

I'm not sure what this reminds me of... I don't mind it though, very atmospheric. There are some nice sounds in there, you've used some of these before in the last tune you posted up a while ago? Are the beats you have used sounds that you have created too?

I take it this was an experiment or a tune you didn't want to progress any further. Where can I hear some of your other stuff that isn't just for a bit of fun or you mucking around, I would like to hear something you are proud of.

The sounds were all made from scratch for the track using 2 different synths and various effects. The beats are put together from individual drum machine kickdrum/snare/hat samples with some judicious processing before being resampled, chopped and sequenced. The glitchy beat at the start and finish is actually the same "kit" just sequenced and processed a bit differently.

This was mixed on headphones so it's a bit muddy.

The 'world is flat' analogy is plain wrong, as only the craziest sort of fundamentalist nutjob denies the certifiable FACT that the world is spherical, its not something open to opinion, it is false, it does not "make sense".

PS crackin' line about the use of MicroKorgs by indie bands, so true, cf. Drive By Arguement and many more.

It would be a crazy statement to make, but the sentences "To appreciate anything just for the sake of itself is absurd" and "I believe the world is flat" still both make sense. Anyway lets not go off on a tangent.

It would be a crazy statement to make, but the sentences "To appreciate anything just for the sake of itself is absurd" and "I believe the world is flat" still both make sense. Anyway lets not go off on a tangent.

I take it you have no interest in non-figurative art then, probably a sign of lack of imagination.

If you can't appreicate music simply for itself, then presumably you merely 'use' it, in the same way you'd use a bread maker, treadmill or gameboy; to pass the time, to fill a gap, to achieve a tangible 'end', to occupy your fidgety, impatient brain before something else happens.

If you can't appreicate music simply for itself, then presumably you merely 'use' it, in the same way you'd use a bread maker, treadmill or gameboy; to pass the time, to fill a gap, to achieve a tangible 'end', to occupy your fidgety, impatient brain before something else happens.

Don't kid yourself, that's what everybody does with music.

Guest idol_wild

Excuse me for continuing the stray away from the topic (I'll listen to the track when I get home, Stripey), but is the general consensus that whenever we hear music/sound, regardless of what it is and what it sounds like, we should appreciate it simply because it is there and we can hear it?

Guest Steven Dedalus

Surely appreciating 'music simply for itself' is just some sort of under-developed aesthetic?

In a sense, that would indicate that is a sound has certain ill-defined melodic and rhythmic qualities, then we should appreciate it?

I'm not saying you can't appreciate it (I enjoyed Metal machine Music) but it would involve appreciating every single peice of music ever made, irrespective of quality, or more finely developed sense of aesthetics (ie. "I like this, it is good because....").

Just a thought.

Don't kid yourself, that's what everybody does with music.

You're wrong. I think the analogy between figurative and abstract art is really appropriate here, some literal minded people just don't get it if it doesn't have recognisable shapes and colours, if you see what I mean, which you probably don't.

s the general consensus that whenever we hear music/sound, regardless of what it is and what it sounds like, we should appreciate it simply because it is there and we can hear it?

What I find interesting is that natural ambient sounds in the real physical day to day world are always impinging on us and we are always reacting emotionally and psychologically to this *spit in disgust* "soundscape". No, I don't think you should dance like a bellend to the sound of a cement mixer just because it sounds good, but I think the use of what you might see as "shapeless" or abstract sounds to intentionally create a context and elicit an emotional response in a piece of art is entirely legitemate.

Then again some people just need xbox beer 3 chords and a chorus to be happy.

What I find interesting is that natural ambient sounds in the real physical day to day world are always impinging on us and we are always reacting emotionally and psychologically to this *spit in disgust* "soundscape". No, I don't think you should dance like a bellend to the sound of a cement mixer just because it sounds good, but I think the use of what you might see as "shapeless" or abstract sounds to intentionally create a context and elicit an emotional response in a piece of art is entirely legitemate.

Then again some people just need xbox beer 3 chords and a chorus to be happy.

I like both, hooray!

Guest Steven Dedalus

I liked the tune.

It reminded me of the soundtrack to Apocalypse Now, by Carmine Coppolla.

And, strangely enough, it put me in mind of the stuff Jerry Goldsmith did for the original Planet of The Apes movie, particular those sort of atonal string sweeps that he used to such great effect.

So there you go.

I will make this (kinda) brief.

I thought it was ok. I have attended a lot of electro-acoustic gigs recently, and I think this sorta stuff fits into that mould. This sort of music doesn't really have a tonal centre, and I think the emphasis for me is appreciating the sound detached from any pretense.

I like the glissandi bass line, I think that you could have made more of it, stretched it out over longer bars. I liked the repetitive rhythm and how it felt like it was pulsating, but I think it needed more movement. That bit was like a background for the music, and it needed something in the foreground to keep me interested. Studies in rhythm are good in itself, but after a while my ear becomes used to it, and the music needs to introduce something new to keep people's interest.

Really good attempt, just needs a wee bit of polishing.

Cheers

Jayne xx

Guest bluesxman

Having now listened to the tune, I have to say I didn't find it particularly challenging to listen to in terms of finding a rhythm it was pretty clear.

The tune itself is not bad but doesn't sound to my ears to be anything Sabres Of Paradise weren't doing 15 years or so ago.