aberdeen-music

2007/2008 season thread

RossP

Anyone got a clue as to why Steve Lovell seems to be Calderwoods enemy No1?!o_O More popular with the fans than Mackie so he must want him binned...:)

There are loads of rumours flying around just now but I'm nae sure what's the truth.

It could well be down to the fact Calderwood doesn't like him as a person which means it doesn't matter how good a player he is, he won't play him. It's happened umpteen times before and it woudn't surprise me to see it happening again.

I'll get the scoop the morn, hopefully.

Remember Jimmy once claimed that John Stewart was the best finisher at the club, bought Thor Kristjanssen and Lubomihr Blaha and has started Darren Mackie for 4 straight games when he shouldn't even be on the bench, so his track record regarding strikers isnae exactly great. In fact, I reckon we're no closer to finding a reliable goalscoring partnership as we were under Stevie P. or Ebbe. And with our best asset, our defence, seemingly wilting and conceding an average of two a game so far we don't have much to be proud about. Combine that with the fact we have the most ineffective and predictable midfielders in the game in Clark and Smith respectively we're nae really doing too great just now.

I reckon Jimmy could solve half of his problems by playing the best team he possibly could on Saturday. By that I mean the "best players" as opposed to playing his favourites or leaving out players he simply doesn't like or has fallen out with:

Langfield in goal - he's nae the best in the business, but he's better than Soutar.

Diamond at centre back - Evidently improved from last season.

McNamara at centre back - We desperately need his experience and influence in the middle.

Hart at right back. Obviously.

Foster at left back. Just like last season where it worked so well, so why change?

Touzani in the "holding role" he normally burdens Clark with. It's what he does best.

Seve in the middle binning abody and winning balls

de Visscher on the left midfield. Doubters: I've seen him play and he's good - he is all about crosses and beating folk.

Nicholson on the right. I'm a big critic but on his game he can be the difference.

Maguire up front running in behind, taking on folk and being a nusiance. The lad is pishing himslef to impress every week and is clearly a superior Mackie i.e. he can play football - dribble and control so why leave him out every week at the expense of Mackie?

Lovell - Best finisher and striker at the club. Simple as. Should start every game. Is the fan's favourite. Cost 200,000 so should be playing otherwise why pay for him in the first place? Scored for fun in a shite Dundee team who were relegated so with some proper service here he could be 20+ a season. Proved himself last season with 10 goals in an injury plagued season. etc. etc. etc.

Just my thoughts. I'm bored and it's lunchtime. And I'm nae going to Rugby Park on Saturday. Was considering it at the start of the season, but I fully reckon Jimmy is cheating the fans at the moment.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DustyDeviada
Lovell - Best finisher and striker at the club. Simple as. Should start every game. Is the fan's favourite. Cost 200,000 so should be playing otherwise why pay for him in the first place? Scored for fun in a shite Dundee team who were relegated so with some proper service here he could be 20+ a season. Proved himself last seasonwith 10 goals in an injury plagued season. etc. etc. etc.

Exactly. All the comments about him not doing well last season etc are pish, he was never given a decent run of starts. He did pretty well with goals considering the amount of time he actually spent on the pitch.

Another option up front would be Smith, did well there when he first signed and we had no fit strikers, in fact hasn't been as good since.

Guest DustyDeviada
Not too sure to be honest but the whole defence in general was pap apparently.

Had a quick scan on one of the Sunderland forums but couldn't find anyone slating Anderson, everybody just seemed to think it was too early to say whether he was a decent buy or not.

He sure is, he kicked Neil Lennon in the head.

*waits for posts about what a hero Shearer is*

Alan Shearer is a massive prick; if I wasn't a Newcastle fan, I would hate the bastard. Phenomenal striker in his prime though, and the fact that he turned down Man United twice to stick with a bunch of mid-tablers is ace :up:.

good to see both old firm clubs in the group stages!

Have to disagree with that one: just means yet more financial disparity to an already lopsided domestic joke league of an SPL now that both have picked up another 10 million. It benefits no-one else in Scottish football other than the OF and all the wankers that write about them in the tabloids for fuck all reason, frankly......

Have to disagree with that one: just means yet more financial disparity to an already lopsided domestic joke league of an SPL now that both have picked up another 10 million. It benefits no-one else in Scottish football other than the OF and all the wankers that write about them in the tabloids for fuck all reason, frankly......

+1

(8 chars)

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Spot on, it gives them another collective 20 million to cherry-pick what's left of the other SPL teams and then pay them a whore's ransom to sit on the fucking bench all season, as happens every season. This benefits Scottish football? Bollocks!

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Celtic + Rangers = The cancer of Scottish football.

ok i see your point but as an outsider i think its good for scottish football to have them both in the group stages but cant argue with what your saying. thing is they will always have the duopoly on the scottish game whether they play champions league football or not.

i still think the old firm would benefit from playing in the english premiership although i can see why it isnt really viable. an SPL without the old firm would create a really exciting league - maybe the old firm under 21's could play in it.

Guest DustyDeviada

Aberdeen's treatment of Steve Lovell just now is a disgrace. They are feeding the papers stories saying he has "wrecked" Dobie's chance of coming to Aberdeen - by honouring a contract they were falling over themselves to give to him two years ago. :(

only saw the last 20 mins plus extra time of the celtic match but it was a smashing game - glad celtic scraped through though they should have won in before the dreaded shoot out. good to see both old firm clubs in the group stages!

If Spartak had put in the penalty in the 1st half, Celtic were out in my opinion, they are suspect at the back, and missed a hat full of chances, they will not get let off by better teams

Aberdeen's treatment of Steve Lovell just now is a disgrace. They are feeding the papers stories saying he has "wrecked" Dobie's chance of coming to Aberdeen - by honouring a contract they were falling over themselves to give to him two years ago. :(

there must be something going on between him and jc

steven thomson has been linked as well apparently.

Agreed. And who the fuck wants a bunch of neanderthal sash-singing pricks representing Scotland anyway?

Fuck the CL, here's the first round Scottish Cup draw. How many of these teams have you never heard of?

Brora Rangers v Cove Rangers

Golspie Sutherland v Preston Athletic

Coldstream v Dalbeattie Star

Glasgow University v Buckie Thistle

Wigtown & Bladnoch v Burntisland Shipyard

Civil Service Strollers v Selkirk

Fort William v Spartans

Newton Stewart v Linlithgow Rose

Vale of Leithen v Gala Fairydean

Wick Academy v Deveronvale

Culter v Hawick Royal Albert

Rothes v Nairn County

St Cuthbert Wanderers v Pollok

Fraserburgh v Huntly

Girvan v Forres Mechanics

Lossiemouth v Whitehill Welfare

Clachnacuddin v Edinburgh City

Bye - Edinburgh University

Oh fuck no. If we buy him then I may give in and join all the naysayers on this and other boards about JC.

Not wanting to fall into the naysayer camp but Calderwoods turn of phrase at the moment just seem to be very negative... Referring to the reserve team, who won yesterday, as a "bad team"... A little positive talk goes a long way. He needs to rent 'Coach Carter' with Samuel L Jackson :)

Re Rangers and Celtic. Finally the media and pundits can focus on the Old Firm and talk about them endlessly over every other team in Scotland... Oh wait, no change there then. :)

i was listening to talk sport in the postie van and adrian durham and ian wright were merely pointing out rangers had a very very tough draw. boy loads of angry huns were phoning and texting them giving them shit!!! they were merely being realistic, it would be a major achievement if rangers got out that group. still they have fuck all to lose so should just go and enjoy it!

"It's an extremely tough draw for us but there is a great element of glamour about it," said manager Walter Smith.

"There is a great standard of teams and it is clearly going to be very hard for us. We have some huge games to look forward to."

read: "we've nae fucking chance".