aberdeen-music

2007/2008 season thread

RossP

Guest DustyDeviada

Anybody else think that 9 million+ is seriously over the top for Craig Gordon? I mean he's a good keeper, sure, but not that good I would say.

Quite funny Celtic outbidding Rangers yet again. I thought it was his lifelong dream to play for the huns or something.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody else think that 9 million+ is seriously over the top for Craig Gordon? I mean he's a good keeper, sure, but not that good I would say.

Quite funny Celtic outbidding Rangers yet again. I thought it was his lifelong dream to play for the huns or something.

Not in the Premierships market. I mean how much did Darren Bent go for?? And Keiran Richardson?? Ridiculous...

He'll beat the fee paid for a British goalkeeper, which if memory serves me right is 6million for Richard Wright and Chris Kirkland. I consider 9million to be a bargain compared with those two!!

Well there's one prediction right.

I hope Naismith doesn't go to Celtic. Unless they plan to play a Jimmy Calderwood-esque 2-4-4 formation, I doubt he'll get many games what with Skippy, Killen, Miller, Venegoor of Castlemilk, Deek, McGeady and even Jim O'Brian capable of playing in his position(s). Although there are rumours of O'Brian going on a season long loan to Killie as part of the deal.

Whittaker to make his debut against Caley on Satuday?? :popcorn:

Considering Hutton's performance last night (how did he get called up ahead of Anderson!?) I'd think that's a safe bet.

Because Anderson isn't a right back, silly.

Interesting to see that Ian Murray wasn't even on the bench for last night's game. He really went on to bigger and better things when leaving Hibs for the Old Firm. Riordan take note.

Not in the Premierships market. I mean how much did Darren Bent go for?? And Keiran Richardson?? Ridiculous...

He'll beat the fee paid for a British goalkeeper, which if memory serves me right is 6million for Richard Wright and Chris Kirkland. I consider 9million to be a bargain compared with those two!!

Keep an eye on Darren Bent this season, he's got much better service/strike partners at Spurs. He scored an absolute peach of a chip earlier on in pre-season. I do think 16.5m was a bit OTT but if he helps pull Spurs into the top 4 then i'll be happy. I'm quite excited about Boateng, Kaboul, Bale, Rose and Taarabt. If all those guys reach their potential we've got a cracking team for many years to come :)

Keep an eye on Darren Bent this season, he's got much better service/strike partners at Spurs. He scored an absolute peach of a chip earlier on in pre-season. I do think 16.5m was a bit OTT but if he helps pull Spurs into the top 4 then i'll be happy. I'm quite excited about Boateng, Kaboul, Bale, Rose and Taarabt. If all those guys reach their potential we've got a cracking team for many years to come :)

Yeh, I'd have to agree with you there, there is no way Arsenal can keep onto the top 4 let alone fight for third spot. I would also keep an eye on Newcastle with Sam Allardyce in charge.

I hate to admit it but Spurs are looking might dangerous this season, but 16.5m for Darren Bent is absolutely ridiculous. He's a decent striker and all, but is he really worth more than Thierry Henry and Alan Shearer in his prime? The market for British players is pretty stupid at the moment though, lets be honest... Jason Koumas for 5.5m, Michael pissing Chopra for 5m and Kieran Richardson for 5.5m... what a joke. How much did Villa play for Ashley Young, 9m? Jeesh...

As a Newcastle fan I kind of hope Gordon does go to the Mackems. With the signings they've been making so far it looks like they'll be heading for the Championship straight away and I don't really want that; what is the point in having a rivalry if your rivals aren't even in the same bloody division? Craig Gordon could save them 8-10 points this season... or maybe I'm just over-rating him. Meh.

I hate to admit it but Spurs are looking might dangerous this season, but 16.5m for Darren Bent is absolutely ridiculous. He's a decent striker and all, but is he really worth more than Thierry Henry and Alan Shearer in his prime? The market for British players is pretty stupid at the moment though, lets be honest... Jason Koumas for 5.5m, Michael pissing Chopra for 5m and Kieran Richardson for 5.5m... what a joke. How much did Villa play for Ashley Young, 9m? Jeesh...

English players have always been over-valued. Emile Heskey is a prime example.

English players have always been over-valued. Emile Heskey is a prime example.

its not just english players - i mean 30 million for shevchenko??? not looking the best bit of business from mr abramovich... he scored 4 premiership goals! still he might do a 'drogba' and have a much better 2nd season. though personally at 30 i think shevchenko has lost his electric pace which made him such a lethal striker in the first place.

Update on the Craig Gordon front. The Hearts Goalkeeping coach has moved to Rangers... i.e. the coach that has trained Gordon for a huge part of his club and national career, which will leave Steve Banks as the GK coach for now. Another sign that Gordon's Hearts career is over??

To make matters worse with the Old Firm transfers; there are stories of Maloney going back to Celtic now. Another player that plays on the left/striker!!!

Guest DustyDeviada
To make matters worse with the Old Firm transfers; there are stories of Maloney going back to Celtic now. Another player that plays on the left/striker!!!

Can see that being as popular with the Celtic fans as Derek Young's return was with the Dons fans.

Can see that being as popular with the Celtic fans as Derek Young's return was with the Dons fans.

Difference is that Shaun Maloney is a scottish internationalist/player of the year. Derek Young... had that goal against Rangers...... and scored against Montrose a lot....

They do have something in common though, considering Maloney was born in Malaysia; they both could represent Asian national teams ;)

Guest DustyDeviada

Yeah, but Celtic have loads of other good players, particularly as you say in that position, so it's not like they need him back. And after the way he left...

On the Newcastle front, I heard from a pretty reliable source that the new club owner (Mike Ashley is it?) isn't a big fan of big Sam and wants to give him the boot already! Hence Allardyce not getting decent cash to make big signings over summer; looks like they want to push him out before the season's even started!

Oh and Joey Barton's been charged with assault but that probably isn't much of a surprise to anyone...

I fancy Spurs to do pretty well this season, lot of firepower up front now but their defence is still fucking rubbish and they've done little to improve it really. Wouldn't write Arsenal off for a top 4 finish though. Fair enough they could do with some wingers but I agree with what Alex Ferguson said last week, they'll be a better team without Henry. Thing is, I can't see either of them finishing anywhere near the big 3 this season.

On the Newcastle front, I heard from a pretty reliable source that the new club owner (Mike Ashley is it?) isn't a big fan of big Sam and wants to give him the boot already! Hence Allardyce not getting decent cash to make big signings over summer; looks like they want to push him out before the season's even started!

Heard that too, assumed it was internet bullshit :up:.

Signing Alan Smith tomorrow apparently, not sure what to think...

Season acca placed today:

SPL - Celtic

1st - St Johnstone

2nd - Raith Rovers

3rd - East Fife

ICT for the drop (sorry Ross!).

Its ok, just seeing those other bets made me realise you must know nothing about football ;) Ross County or Peterhead for Division 2- mark my words!!

Gretna or St Mirren for the SPL drop.

Its ok, just seeing those other bets made me realise you must know nothing about football ;) Ross County or Peterhead for Division 2- mark my words!!

Gretna or St Mirren for the SPL drop.

Has Nicaule actually got his work permit? Seems like a big mess that one.

Got a horrible feeling Grtna will somehow stay up, so will Midden.

Ross County for the second? Now I KNOW you're on the wind up ;).............