aberdeen-music

NME Cool List 2006.

A.Pel

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does anyone know the actual point of a cool list?????

To generate discussion concerning the NME, for one thing... it's the sort of thing that'll be sent via a press release to other media outlets, disseminated via message boards, and it's evidently worked given the four pages on this thread so far...

Even if it's negative publicity in some ways (ie because people will say the list is 'rubbish') it still does wonders for brand awareness.

I pretty much agree with Mart. It's just a silly little thing to prompt a good discussion, I doubt the journalists at the NME take it seriously, at least not as much so as the fools who go into an apoplectic rage and then feel the need to let their emotions run rampant on an internet message board. Without even getting paid for it, unlike those 'stupid' music journalists.

To generate discussion concerning the NME, for one thing... it's the sort of thing that'll be sent via a press release to other media outlets, disseminated via message boards, and it's evidently worked given the four pages on this thread so far...

Even if it's negative publicity in some ways (ie because people will say the list is 'rubbish') it still does wonders for brand awareness.

I very much agree with this. I'm pretty tempted to buy an NME to see their actual reasoning for having the Sun's best mate Pete still in there, and for that matter the rest of their dodgy choices.

uhhhh.....it's a fucking joke designed to provoke a reaction and it looks like a lot of you have fallen for it.

the horrors are in nme mainly because they are on a label run by one nme's writers.

spanisharmada's comment on the girl from the gossip was pretty predictable. ooooh she's fat! pssssh....she's also pretty kick ass!

yeah it's trashy having a cool list...that's the point! it's entertainment....music is meant to be entertaining and fun. you guys really need to lighten up.

he shooots. he scores :up:

Guest bluesxman
Granite city - cool hotspot.

Budz Bar - Top establishment.

Justice Mill Lane - Scotland's Soho

I was out in Aberdeen last Friday for a 30th birthday pub crawl and ended up at that end of town for the first time in many moons, usually only in town for gigs these days and rarely venture far from Tunnels or something. I was lost for words.

I ended up in Club Tropicana, is that officially a gay bar these days? The evidence I witnessed suggests so.

From Drowned in Sound:

Lily Allen has opened her regularly free-flowing gob - proverbially - on her MySpace page to have a pop at NME and the magazine's editor, the award-winning Conor McNicholas.

Allen is angry with the magazine's decision to drop its proposed cover of Allen plus a selection of other female artists - those featured around the top of the magazine's 'Cool List' (click here; Allen was third) - and also with its editor's rather dangerously sexist remark that "you can still rock a crowd when you're wearing stilettos".

This week's issue features Muse on the cover, rather than the likes of Allen and 'Cool List' number one Beth Ditto, frontgal with excellent Olympians The Gossip. Allen had fallen out with NME previously, regarding drug-related comments (read the reveal-all interview on Pitchfork), but agreed to contribute to the 'Cool List' article because "the context was so important, i.e. a strong female presence in music".

She comments on her latest blog:

"Now I don't care for the 'Cool List', and I said this to them in the interview, which is probably why they didn't print it. I don't really think the NME are in any position to tell us who is cool and who isn't; personally I don't think a bunch of people sitting in an office drinking tea, inventing musical genres, and watching Nathan Barley DVDs are leading any kind of cool brigade, do you? But I did find it interesting that they wanted to put five women on the cover, and wanted to name 2006 our year."

Which, of course, they didn't. And then there was Conor's comment, a little unwise in hindsight. Says Allen:

"I mean how fucking patronising. Is that all we are, stilleto-wearing people? Is that all he could say, that we brought a 'new energy' to the music scene? Don't make me sick. We've always been here, you arrogant prick. This was your chance to actually show you meant it. And instead you put Muse on the cover, 'cause you thought that your readers might not buy a magazine with an overweight lesbian and a not-particularly-attractive-looking me on the front. Wankers.

"You should take your heads out of your New Rave arses, and actually think about your responsibilities to youth culture, and to women in general."

Guest DustyDeviada
Really depends what shape the latex is in and if you've got the va va voom to carry it off. :p

I think the shape I'm in would be more of an issue.

As for va-va-voom, I had a Clio a few years ago, does that count?

Having just read the full piece in the magazine, I can tell you now that the reason for Mike Patton's inclusion is as follows;

"Just for the interview he gave backstage at Lollapalooza, which became a YouTube sensation. Increasingly troubled by Wolfmother's retro blurting in the distance, the former Faith No More singer dispensed his own brand of rock justice, gasping "Are you hearing this shit? What year are we in? Forgive me, Wolfmother, but you SUCK!" Legendary."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r98WLLWMq3o

So, yeah, I'd say he warrants inclusion. :D

Guffaw! Wofmother are indeed no better than the Darkness, and Patton summed it up better than I ever could. Classic.

From Drowned in Sound:

Lily Allen has opened her regularly free-flowing gob - proverbially - on her MySpace page to have a pop at NME and the magazine's editor, the award-winning Conor McNicholas.

Allen is angry with the magazine's decision to drop its proposed cover of Allen plus a selection of other female artists - those featured around the top of the magazine's 'Cool List' (click here; Allen was third) - and also with its editor's rather dangerously sexist remark that "you can still rock a crowd when you're wearing stilettos".

This week's issue features Muse on the cover, rather than the likes of Allen and 'Cool List' number one Beth Ditto, frontgal with excellent Olympians The Gossip. Allen had fallen out with NME previously, regarding drug-related comments (read the reveal-all interview on Pitchfork), but agreed to contribute to the 'Cool List' article because "the context was so important, i.e. a strong female presence in music".

She comments on her latest blog:

"Now I don't care for the 'Cool List', and I said this to them in the interview, which is probably why they didn't print it. I don't really think the NME are in any position to tell us who is cool and who isn't; personally I don't think a bunch of people sitting in an office drinking tea, inventing musical genres, and watching Nathan Barley DVDs are leading any kind of cool brigade, do you? But I did find it interesting that they wanted to put five women on the cover, and wanted to name 2006 our year."

Which, of course, they didn't. And then there was Conor's comment, a little unwise in hindsight. Says Allen:

"I mean how fucking patronising. Is that all we are, stilleto-wearing people? Is that all he could say, that we brought a 'new energy' to the music scene? Don't make me sick. We've always been here, you arrogant prick. This was your chance to actually show you meant it. And instead you put Muse on the cover, 'cause you thought that your readers might not buy a magazine with an overweight lesbian and a not-particularly-attractive-looking me on the front. Wankers.

"You should take your heads out of your New Rave arses, and actually think about your responsibilities to youth culture, and to women in general."

have to say lily allen has gone up in my estimation with those comments, Conor McNicholas only looks like he's been out of school a couple of years but thats probably just me getting older!

McNicholas is a jumped up public school wanker with a rockstar complex - I know - I did a week's work experience down there. The testosterone fug around those offices is suffocating and sickening, and the only writer I have any time for is Peter Robinson who is doing something far more exciting with Popjustice anyway.

• 3 months later...