aberdeen-music

Films of the Year?

KarmaTsunami

Well, if it's that time for music then it's that time for film. I'll have to have a proper think back to make up a top 5, but the first two that spring to mind for me have to be:

Pan's Labyrinth - I just saw this yesterday, and it is absolutely brilliant. I haven't felt so...I don't know, involved? in a film for sooooo long. Not in the way I did with this one. It just sweeps you in completely. The acting is wonderful, the leading girl doing the best job! Genuinely terrifying/scary in parts..just wonderful wonderful film!! In fact, one of the best I've seen in ages, not just this year. 10/10. I can't think of a single thing I didn't like about it.

The Departed - I loved this film. I love Scorsese, but this is him at his best in recent years. Some classic moments (the coke/hookers scene, the red, the opera), wonderful plot (although I KNOW it's a remake, Scorsese didn't when he optioned the script) and I think that Dicaprio and Damon do brilliant jobs. I'd say an 9/10, it touches on the long side, but is still brilliant.

Brick

Lucky Number Slevin

V For Vendetta

Serenity (this might've been released last year actually)

Warrior King

Walk the Line

Capote

Jarhead

Pretty Persuasion

The Prestige

Waiting (I know, I know, puerile, but ace)

Still haven't seen A Scanner Darkly, Nacho Libre, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, or The Departed. Honourable mention to X-Men 3 too, which I watch all the time in a desperate bid to start liking it.

Here's to next year - Spiderman 3 and Transformers, Yay!

The Wind that shakes the Barley

Junebug

Hard Candy

Capote

The Propisition

Little Miss Sunshine

Hidden

The Departed

United 93

Children of Men

The Prestige

Its almost impossible to pick a favourite, I've seen about fifty films at the cinema this year! I'm gutted that I missed Grizzly Man & Three Burials.

The Propisition however deserves a special mention. It was cathartic and absolutely brutal tale of British colonialism in Australia. Sometimes violence is so common place in modern films that someone can have their neck sawn off and nobody batters an eyelid. The Propisition is different matter altogether.

In no particular order:

Walk The Line (was that really this year?)

Brick

Starter For 10

The Squid and The Whale

Thank You For Smoking

Snakes On A Plane

V For Vendetta - although I don't really remember it, I should watch it again

Pan's Labyrinth (pre-emptive, I'm going to see it tomorrow but I think I'm going to adore it)

Also worth mentioning, despite the fact that I don't think it was actually released in 2006 is Innocence. I saw Gozu for the first time the other week as well and it's fucking ace. Twisted as hell but damned good.