aberdeen-music

does it piss anyone else off...

Christy

...when songs that you like are used to advertise completely unrelated products? Recently, i've heard Muse, the 22-20s and Primal Scream songs blaring out over ads for perfume and cars and other such nonsense. it really gets on ma flange. especially muse and the scream - both of whom are successful bands who surely can't need the money desperately.

love from christy

I do not watch TV and never listen to radio and hence cut this problem off from myself.

Sometimes I do find myself glancing at posters advertising coffee and idly singing Muse 'Sober' in my head but I just make sure I find at least 20p on the ground over the course of the day and put it in my 'royalties' jar in the corner of my room.

On a more serious note if I'd written a fucking beezer of a tune and was in the more 'popular' genres that Muse, The 22-20's or Primal Scream frequent then I'd be more than chuffed to get my song out to people for more moneys than I was getting originally and would sit at home in my baffies 'selling out' as long as said advert would run!

Mince.

the bands are probably the last people to find out about the adverts. it's probably all done through publishing companies and the like.

i dunno i think a band/artist need to give permission for their music to be used. the one that cracked me up was the fall allowing touch sensitive to be used in a car ad. i believe the money is incredibly good if your music is used in an ad so you cant blame them.

Guest DustyDeviada

Hue and Cry were on Off the Ball the other week and they said that they'd once had a request from a double glazing firm to use "Looking for Linda" but with the words changed to "Looking Through Windows".

It's about time edgar prais got their music on a fanny pad advert so we can all have a giggle and do a wee dance before we see more so called personalities get tortured in the jungle

hahahaha, that would be fantastic.

the only celeb i like in there is matt willis. i've got a thing for mcfly/busted members/ex members though :love:

It seems if you write songs in the style of Jose Gonzales/Jack Johnson's acoustic affairs you're guaranteed a mobile phone/Widescreen TV advert.

My cousin had a piece of dancey pish shortlisted for a Citroen advert and he'd have been absolutely loaded if his tune had been picked. Canna mind the fee but it was more than my annual salary for 45 seconds of crap.....more than I get for 2000 or so hours of crap.

If you're a new band starting out it woud be great exposure.

Flaming Katy?

Yeah, you know the band from the new Lidl advert?

Oh yeah, I'll have that....

TV is shit though and advertising is the worst thing about it. Still, I'd take the money.

we played with an American band called OKGo a coupla months back, and we had a shared dressing room. The conversation got to this topic and I went on a rant along the lines of 'what self-respecting artist could dilute the integrity and meaning of their music to make a quick buck?' when I noticed some embarrassed AmericAn faces. they had already soundtracked a JC Penny's ad and were in the process of mulling over an offer from Pepsi. 600 000. The worse thing was that, while I was basically laying into them, i was drinking their rider and they were too polite to point me to our own fridge. oops.

They left pretty sharpish.

love from christy

we played with an American band called OKGo a coupla months back, and we had a shared dressing room. The conversation got to this topic and I went on a rant along the lines of 'what self-respecting artist could dilute the integrity and meaning of their music to make a quick buck?' when I noticed some embarrassed AmericAn faces. they had already soundtracked a JC Penny's ad and were in the process of mulling over an offer from Pepsi. 600 000. The worse thing was that, while I was basically laying into them, i was drinking their rider and they were too polite to point me to our own fridge. oops.

love from christy

did they then do that dance for you?

love from christy

Christy, quite simply you've got to Get-get -get-get Over it!