aberdeen-music

Review = Delawair. a Local artist/band you MUST hear/see

StewCat

Met scott lycn for the first time at the MA's open mic...from seeing him in passing and catching the back end of delawair sets/half listening to myspace mp3s...yadda yadda - i just thought he was a really nice guy and a very talented songwriter - it goes much deeper than that!

The man was nice enough to give me a CD (if you're reading this - i owe you some holy folks cds and a zoghurt comp) so i took a sit down - with all attention on this cd: so here it is!:

The DELAWAIR review

Delawair: Recordings 2001-6 Vol.1

Tracks: 16

Price: 5 (is worth 20)

Fist of all i must state - im gonna split this review into two parts: the music and the Physical cd itself.

I own number 53 of this cd. Everything about this case/cd is handmade - from the hand writtem track list down to the piece of string tied round it. Put it this way:

• The Artwork is hand drawn
  • All text is hand written (even the album name on the cd case spine)
  • Its made of heavy duty brown paper
  • It opens out like a book
  • Has a wee card with all the information about the cd on it (handwritten)
  • Stapled round the side and tied shut with string

Its a work of art - i can imagen Scott watching telling and churning 4 or 5 of these a night. So well made and a really good idea - ok - you might be saying to yourself "EH - BUT I KEN SHITELOADS'O'BANDS THAT MAK'THEIR A'EN CD CASES"....as do i - but i'd like to see another local band match the quality of this record.

I give the cd as a whole 7 out of 10 - (thats without listening to it.) Read on to find out the final result.

So - as i said to Scott, id say what i think and be as harsh as i can. The CD is Next to Flawless!

I dunno your influences but i sence from the cd: Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Major Matt Mason USA/Schwervon!, Jeff Lewis, Cat Power, Joe Jackson, Brian Piltin, Ben Folds, Neutral Milk Hotel...i also sence a hint of early 'indy', 'emo', 'acoustic grunge'(thats right, 'acoustic grunge')....

Every Song is strong - so strong. There are also all sorts of sing along bits in every song i can see myself shouting out when im drunk in the tunnels sometime soon!

Its lo-fi yet so engaging...I can imagen if this record were to go pop - mums would buy this...dont let that put you off - its just another way of saying its a record for everyone! Even my granny would like it, i can hear her now..."AYE, its got a nice tune, an'a can hear fit he's sayin', nae like'at mtv".

im so....SPEECHLESS as the quality of the songwriting. I really cant stress that enough.

Tracks to listen out for:

All of them! but here are three i chose at random.

Track 1 - Dont Let me Grow Cold

Spooky 'marching down to the tavern' guitar (always a good opener for a cd) - haunting, slight reverb on the vocals. hmm - i wish i wrote this song.

Track 8 - Big Ideas

Right that it...This couldnt be written by a local artist ..*checks cd case* nope - its a Delawair song. To sum it up in short - this is the song Damien Rice wish he wrote. Its got very interesting words (buy this cd - im not telling you what they are)...and this is the best chorus ive heard since....well...a long time. The harmonys are nothing i haven heard in other songs but it sends shivers down my spine, i have goosebumps and my heart feels strange - im addicted.

Track 11 - Lost & Found

Bouncy, Country/folk/ pop rocky tune. I wanna hear/see this live - and i wanna dance with my girlfriend. Then smooch her. Anyway. i cant say anymore...its too good! Hear for yourself.

I have only found two things wrong with this record - the vocals 'POP' on Track 6 (Lullaby) and im gelouse of your talent - FUCK YOU!

10/10 - making it a grand total of 17 out of 10 - i'm still waiting to review a shit cd/demo!

if anyone has anything to add - please do.

Stewart

-x-

Scott is an utter sweety, a genuinely sound guy. Had no idea there was a CD out though, think that's my pocket money spent this week :)

pocket money well spent!

he is such a good guy. Sunday y'say??? think i have 2 save my money from Monday.

#cough# Frank Turner Dufus Holy Folks FatRBs £4 8pm #cough#

i'll make sure fraser or martin plays some delawair on monday at the gig.

• 2 weeks later...