aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Just started Chuck Palahnuik's Choke. Its...interesting.

I'm two chapters in to this. Haven't had the urge to read anything but comics recently. Went out and bought Zombie Survival Guide forgetting about Choke. It seems decent I just don't have the motivation and sit and look at something that doesn't have pictures.

I'm reading Berlin the downfall 1945, by Antony Beevor. A brutal and at time sympathetic account of the end of the Nazi regime. Its fascinating to get invidiual perspectives from the Red Army soldiers and the German soldiers as well as those higher up.

I guess we all know a little bit about what went on, but this is a real eye opener... I will read his Stalingrad book next.

I'm reading Berlin the downfall 1945, by Antony Beevor. A brutal and at time sympathetic account of the end of the Nazi regime. Its fascinating to get invidiual perspectives from the Red Army soldiers and the German soldiers as well as those higher up.

I guess we all know a little bit about what went on, but this is a real eye opener... I will read his Stalingrad book next.

That is a cracking read!!

I'm currently reading book 3 (Mockingjay) of the Hunger Games trilogy. The previous 2 are fucking ace and this one seems to be following that trend. Got more Vonnegut to read after as well :)

I'm two chapters in to this. Haven't had the urge to read anything but comics recently. Went out and bought Zombie Survival Guide forgetting about Choke. It seems decent I just don't have the motivation and sit and look at something that doesn't have pictures.

I ended up reading it almost in a one-er/whunner/woner on the bus down to Edinburgh. I thought it was cracking. Understandably not for everyone I'd say though.

Recently finished Lucky Guy by Michael J Fox. Thoroughly enjoyed.

Starting The Black Dahlia by Ellroy.

I ended up reading it almost in a one-er/whunner/woner on the bus down to Edinburgh. I thought it was cracking. Understandably not for everyone I'd say though.

Well I really enjoyed Survivor, Snuff and Fight Club. I don't know, I probably will love it. I have that problem with books, it takes me a while to get in to them and if it's more convenient to watch tv or something I will. TV needs to have a shit phase again so I can get some reading done.

I finished The Godfather by Mario Puzo a while ago. Really enjoyed it, it was probably one of the most engrossing books I've read in quite a while. They should really think about doing a film adaptation of it, I imagine it would go down quite well...

Saying that, there was a fairly inexplicable and graphic subplot about Sonny's penis. Yikes.

Just finished The Curious Case of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder. A detective story, set in semi-aleternative history London. With a bit of Steampunk thrown into the mix.

Reading Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovich. Another detective story, but with a wizard thrown into the mix!

Next in line is Samuel Pepys diary, all 1000 pages of it. (side grumble, went into Waterstones on Union Bridge to buy it, and they only had the 300 page abridged version, so had to get it off amazon)

Starting The Black Dahlia by Ellroy.

It's a good un. I love Ellroy's style.

When in doubt I pick up a Brookmyre so just read A Tale Etched in Blood and Hard Black Pencil. It follows the main characters through their entire school life in Paisley in the 70s/80s, linking into a murder mystery in present time. Quite different than a lot of his others in that the ridiculous action plots and gadgets were missing which meant I enjoyed it more. Very funny, quite charming and sooo true.

I'm now reading Anarchy Evolution: Faith, Science, and Bad Religion in a World Without God by Greg Graffin (of favourite band Bad Religion). It's an autobiographical tale focussing on his work in punk rock and science. A couple of chapters in and quite enjoying it. Perhaps a touch smarmy but then he is a lead singer, an American and a college professor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Now reading 'Life' by Keith Richards which is shaping up to be ace.

This book was indeed ace, has made me like Keef even more than that film clip of him reacting to a stage invader by taking off his guitar and twatting him with it. Has also re-ignited my listening to the Stones which has been dormant for a fair while of late.

Now reading 'The Great Shark Hunt' by Hunter S. Thompson.

Have read a few of his books before (Hell's Angels, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72, The Rum Diary) but have also had a few sitting unread for a fair while so they are part of my ongoing campaign to finally get all the unread books in my collection read before buying more. Charity shop browsing seems to scupper this all the time).

• Upvote 1

I finished 'Ain't I a Woman?: Black Women and Feminism' by bell hooks which is a total life changer. It looks at racism and sexism and the effects these have had on black women in america and their involvement in various women's movements which dominantly consisted of middle and upper class white women who had/have internalised imperialist/racist attitudes to the extent that they are way more exclusive than they think they were/are. It should be required reading for people in general and has made me re-evaluate my own attitudes and realise I have a lot to work on with regards to my white privilege.

Now reading 'Another Country' by James Baldwin which I'm really enjoying so far but have been warned I will be really angry by the end of. The bell hooks book made me hate everything anyway so I'll probably combust by the end of this.

• 1 month later...
I'm into the last few chapters of "Survivor" by Chuck Palahniuk. It's a very good read. Very typically Paluhniuk. Not as good as "Haunted" but way better than "Rant" or "Choke".

I loved this book. I have Choke ready to be read, but now that it's not as good as Survivor I don't know if I want to.

If guts is what I think it is (involving the former high school football player, right?) then it is genuinely horrific. I seriously dry wretched a couple of times and I've got a pretty strong stomach for that sort of thing.

My sister was talking about 'Haunted' the other day, will need to get on that soon. I've only read 'Fight Club' and 'Survivor' too. Fecht Club was ace, but just thought Survivor was alright.

Currently reading 'Half Blood Blues' by Esi Edugyan. It's pretty good so far but am only halfway through it.

Have been reading 'The Perks Of Being A Wallflower' during particularly slow periods at work over the past few months and finally finished it today. Thank you, 2nd January retail-death. I'm intrigued to see the film when it comes out.