aberdeen-music

Pc

Hog

Why is it suddenly a problem for Muslims to wear veils?

Jack Straw thinks its causing "seperation" within the UK. How come its only become a problem (to some people) now?

Why not question the garments of other faiths?

I can understand why it may be a problem if you cant hear a women because of her veil but there are garments for Muslim women which maintains a cloaking of the face area but they can still be heard.

Muslim women are questioned why they wear a veil while in the same country Jehovah Witness'ssssss will disallow blood transfusions for their own family members. Pot..kettle..fucking kitchen!

Madonna! WTF, she give a child a new life and she is now hounded for it. Em.....she has probably given that boy an additional 50 years onto his life expectancy. Good on her.

The world seems to be diving up its on PC arsehole.

Discuss

Jack Straw thinks its causing "seperation" within the UK. How come its only become a problem (to some people) now?

I can understand why it may be a problem if you cant hear a women because of her veil but there are garments for Muslim women which maintains a cloaking of the face area but they can still be heard.

Muslim women are questioned why they wear a veil while in the same country Jehovah Witness'ssssss will disallow blood transfusions for their own family members. Pot..kettle..fucking kitchen!

Madonna! WTF, she give a child a new life and she is now hounded for it. Em.....she has probably given that boy an additional 50 years onto his life expectancy. Good on her.

Discuss

My response to all of the above is "Fuck knows mate o_O ".

If I could emigrate to another planet (or back to the one I came from :laughing: ), believe me, I would. Earth is a shithole.

Not entirely convinced.

Some of the stuff seems a thinly-veiled excuse to push a racist/discriminatory agenda without getting rightly roasted for it. Whilst on a lower level, most of the PC-gawn-mad stories that the tabloid press seem to love so much actually turn out to be complete balderdash or something else entirely, reported right out of context.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

The only bit I disagree with you on. Just a PR stunt, why couldn't she have donated a bit of cash to build a hospital with or something? Doesn't get you on the telly. This is the latest must-have celebrity toy, a disadvantaged African child. Money turns everything into commodities, even human beings.

why couldn't she have donated a bit of cash to build a hospital with or something?

Absolutely.

Save hunners of kids from disease for generations to come as opposed to just one.

She's not that different from most working mothers in England anyway:

Goes about in a tracksuit

Lives on an estate

Has three kids all from different fathers

That raised a chuckle when I heard it.

Discuss

In recent months Channel 4's Dispatches, Mondays 8pm til 9pm, has been dealing with Muslim issues. The veil is actually a woman's choice to wear. Apparently it shows her commitment to her religion but isn't a prerequisite of it.

It's true that Sikhs aren't questioned about their turbans and Hassidic Jews aren't questioned about their attire.I reckon Jack Straw's main concern about burkas and the veil is that it's concealment of identity.

I posted this last week to see what the reaction would be

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39194

Bad taste? Perhaps so but when you engage someone in conversation physically, don't you wnat to see more than just the eyes?

I think that anyone living in Britain should try to adapt to British culture and integrate themselves into it. Quite how you define British culture is a different debate but as someone pointed out, if you are going to move anywhere you should be sensitive to and respectful of that countries customs and traditions. If muslim women want to wear veils then they have the freedom to do that. If Jack Straw wants to point out that he is uncomfortable with it and would prefer that they didn't then he is free to do that also. They can take it on board or ignore it.

As for Madonna, she's giving a kid a better life than it would have had otherwise. Whether she should have gone about it differently or is doing it as a PR stunt/celebrity accessory is irrelevant in my eyes.

Well it's rude to wear sunglasses or cover your face while speaking to someone (basic manners as I'm sure you know), If i went to live in another country, I would at least try to not disrespect their customs or traditions...........
I lived in Abu DHabi for 9 years. Which is a muslim part of the world....

If you did, would you wear a veil? You're a woman, its a muslim country, it's their traditions. On that note, would you also not

1-Work

2-Drink

3-Drive a car

Being pedantic, I know, but the amount of British/Western immigrants in the East that give FUCK ALL care to any local customs or traditions means then that we can only expect them to do the same in our own.

That might have made no sense. I'm ill.

I lived in Abu DHabi for 9 years. Which is a muslim part of the world....

If you did, would you wear a veil? You're a woman, its a muslim country, it's their traditions. On that note, would you also not

1-Work

2-Drink

3-Drive a car

Being pedantic, I know, but the amount of British/Western immigrants in the East that give FUCK ALL care to any local customs or traditions means then that we can only expect them to do the same in our own.

That might have made no sense. I'm ill.

It's a valid point.

If I was female......I probably wouldn't be comfortable with that so wouldn't move there..... Unless I was a totally hideous female........in which case I'd wear a veil and stay the fuck inside.......so that would probably be my ideal place to live! If I was a passable semi-attractive girl I'd probably like to give high heels a shot and if that's forwned on in the East then.........Oh, I'm just thinking out loud now.....

I believe everyone has a right to practice their beliefs, but I also think there is a time and place for it. Dress as you like in your free-time, but I believe in the work place uniformity is the way to go. I do however believe that wearing a veil only promotes your own isolation and discrimination from society.

I personally don't like Veils, for a couple of reasons.

1) I think they are a symbol of oppression. The veil isn't actually an integral part of the Islamic faith, but rather something introduced to keep women in their place. It promotes inequality. If you go with the idea that the veil is a symbol of fidelity, then why do Islamic men not wear them?

2) When you put something between your face and another person's, it creates a barrier. I don't care what anyone says, this is fact. Facial expressions are how we intrepret much of our social interactions. Taking that away creates an uneasiness.

~Andy

It's a valid point.

If I was female......I probably wouldn't be comfortable with that so wouldn't move there..... Unless I was a totally hideous female........in which case I'd wear a veil and stay the fuck inside.......so that would probably be my ideal place to live! If I was a passable semi-attractive girl I'd probably like to give high heels a shot and if that's forwned on in the East then.........Oh, I'm just thinking out loud now.....

YOu see, in the UAE especially, theres women in mini-skirts, tank tops and high heels.....yet the whole government isn't jetting up in arms about it.

I think veils are shite, and yes, they are an oppressive symbol, the whole way women are viewed in the muslim faith is a bit shit, but hey, its not my place to go and tell them to fuck their faith all because I dinna like it. If they're happy being oppressed, then I'm happy to talk to a ninja from time to time.

• Upvote 1

I think veils are shite, and yes, they are an oppressive symbol, the whole way women are viewed in the muslim faith is a bit shit, but hey, its not my place to go and tell them to fuck their faith all because I dinna like it. If they're happy being oppressed, then I'm happy to talk to a ninja from time to time.

Exactly...

I just can't understand why these repressed women want to move to a country where women have all the rights of men but behave the same way they did before. I see no benefit and their actions alienate them.

who says they want to move here? if they're oppressed as everyone on here seems to believe, perhaps they're just told to.

maybe, by choosing to wear the veil, the women are actually making an active choice about how they appear, the way in which they interact with the public and the extent to which they follow their religion.

either that or they're just puppets in the male-dominated islam machine.

/x

My understanding of the veil is that it is meant to make women not appear as sex symbols to anyone but their husbands. This in a way, could be percieved as being liberating.

I view Jack Straw's comments as part of a larger strategy to undermine Islamic voices and change general perceptions of Muslims for the worse.

One reason why it is wrong for Madonna to adopt an African child is becuase the father signed a contract, when he can't even read with the false impression that it wasn't a pernament arrangment.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1928773,00.html

Then why shouldn't the husbands do the same? If it was some kind of arrangement to keep their relationship "sacred" in some kind of way then why does the man not conceil himself? I assure you that onlooking women are just as capable as onlooking men when it comes to glaring at a member of the opposite sex.

I semi-agree with Jack Straw's comments. I do believe there is a lot of negative press against Muslims. The endless stream of biast statistics aren't helping. Eg: See the huge advert campaign recently run by Channel 4 "Two thirds of Muslims in the UK think insulting Islam should be punishable by death" etc etc. The press coverage is swung into an area where the majority of the UK public won't be able to relate to the opposite side and I think THAT is the issue. There's a void where there should be coverage of what is the pro-side of being a Muslim. I doubt many members of the public even know what the religion is about and will probably remain uneducated for the immediate future. Ignorance is a huge issue. If a concept is alien then naturally there will be uproar. People dislike change.

My only issue with the Muslim religion (within my limited knowledge of it) is the extreme - and I really highlight that it's only in extreme examples - examples of repression towards women.

Agree with the above 100%

I view Jack Straw's comments as part of a larger strategy to undermine Islamic voices and change general perceptions of Muslims for the worse.

Are you being serious?

Jack Straw and Labour wouldn't dare alienate the Muslim community on purpose, given that the next UK election is looking like a close one. If Muslim organisations started calling for their members to vote Tory, Labour would be in a world of trouble, particularly in a lot of Labour strongholds. They're simply not stupid enough to do such a thing - and anyway, a lot of Labour voters are politically correct - so what would they have to gain by such a deliberate strategy? None.

One reason why it is wrong for Madonna to adopt an African child is becuase the father signed a contract, when he can't even read with the false impression that it wasn't a pernament arrangment.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1928773,00.html

So you're advocating that the boy stayed in African poverty instead of getting a chance at a decent life? The father all along has changed his tune several times, so who knows what the truth actually was?

The veil is not compulsory in Islam, so they don't actually need to wear it. They wear it out of preferance.

People need to take off motorcycle helmets in banks yet it's ok for people to keep on their veil. Sounds silly but there will come a time when someone takes advantage of this and robs a bank wearing a veil to cover their identity.

In my opinion people can wear veils but when it comes to security measures they really should have to take it off.

I'll no doubt get shot down with another point but that's what I think.

So you're advocating that the boy stayed in African poverty instead of getting a chance at a decent life? The father all along has changed his tune several times, so who knows what the truth actually was?

yeah and i see the mother has now crawled out of the woodworks now to shit stir. to me they just seem intent on gaining as much cash out of the wee boy as possible. no one said anything when angelina jolie and brad pitt adopted from different cultures, i actually fail to see why this is different.

yeah and i see the mother has now crawled out of the woodworks now to shit stir. to me they just seem intent on gaining as much cash out of the wee boy as possible. no one said anything when angelina jolie and brad pitt adopted from different cultures, i actually fail to see why this is different.

I thought the mother was dead?