aberdeen-music

[GIG] Zoghurt Night#5: Dufus + Frank Turner + Holy Folks + Fluffy & The Rainbow Bunnys @ The Tunnels

StewCat

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup, amazing night, busy as fuck, Dufus were fucking A.

Zoghurt=best promoter in aberdeen

too kind!

twas an amazing show.

FatRB's SHOULD win best fudge live act but im sure they will give it to some poncey two-bit shitcore band...those boys entertain..ZOGHURTS FINEST!

Dufus love Aberdeen/the tunnels - they are such nice guys and an excelent band...tight, fun, just FUCKING GOOD!

Frank Turner is just such a nice bloke...from the minute i met him off the train till he hugged me goodbye.

most of all - thansk to everyone who came...its you that made it such a good night

What a gig!

Missed half of Holy Folks set but the second half was great. Stew seemed to be pumped up though which was ace!

Wasn't too sure about what to expect from FATRB having not seen them in 6 months or so but they were hilarious. They'll hate me for saying this but they've came a long way and are really entertaining.

Dufus were a musical journey and a half! Some weird lyrics and the best dancing from their second vocalist. I was really annoyed about the idiots that loud conversations during their set but it didn't ruin it for me.

For Frank Turner it was the best i've seen him yet. Probably due to the crowd being hot and busy which hasn't both happened at his shows yet. Highlight was probably Cassanova Lament or Worst Things Happen at Sea.

Amazing gig. Well done to Zoghurt. They deserve to pat themselves on the back!

Fluffy and the Rainbow Bunnies need to stop apologising for being shit; we all know they are ;) but its absolutley hilarious and great fun.

Dufus were awesome, cool guys as well. Unlike anything ive really heard before but they blew me away. Especially liked the song about Jeffrey Lewis. To be honest, I'd never imagine in a million years that we'd see a better act that night but i wasnt reckoning on Frank Turner being so great.

Never heard any of his stuff before (minus his Chris T-T cover) so didnt know what to expect, but every single one of his songs just grabbed me by the balls and didnt let go. I was just in awe of him really. Highlights include "Nashville" (the first one anyway), "Worst Things Happen At Sea", "The Hunstmen"...actually every song hit the spot. marvellous.

Best line-up i've seen in a while, all Holy Folks are genuinley pleased to have been on the bill. Well done Zoghurt!

Feel it's possibley worth expanding on my round up:

Holy Folks: Haven't seen them since April, and they've obviously been practicing, the sneaky buggers! Sound ruddy fantastic with a drummer, and as always good banter. Highlight: A short song about our short life/Paris.

FAT Rainbow Bunnies: Not seen them before and was getting bad news off my mate who seemed somewhat informed. Glad I ignored the shit out of him, 'cause I really liked 'em. Funny wee bastards. Highlight: Bob Hoskins and obsene drums. Bass was good, why don't they use it more?

Dufus: By gum. Shiellahs ghost. I'd heard some of their recorded stuff, but I wasn't prepared for such an amazing sound coming from a 4 piece band. The stuff that guy got out of an acoustic guitar was anti-folk genius. Shit vocals, freaky dancing and heroic facial hair. Highlights: The intro, Tutu, More Girl Cops. Thought nothing was topping these chaps in a hurry...

Frank Turner: ...but hey, Franky pulled it off! Not surprising, seeing as he's basically flawless at what he does. Third time he's been in Aberdeen in like a year and a half, but he still gets the reception of some long gone legend. Some amazing new stuff to boot, and as always a bundle of nice covers. And he dropped every single one of the Million Dead songs and got away clean and easy. Respect. Highlights: My Kingdom for a Horse, The Real Damage, The Huntsman, new headwear and most of the audience stuck about 'til the very end despite it being a school night!

Great turnout, great sound, great banter! Zoghurt (who I know put in shitloads of effort with promotion)... you're the boys are y' nae.

the Dufus guys and gal have just left Aberdeen. :down: wanted them to stay forever. What a good laugh we had! and they were so impressed with Aberdeen - they didnt know what to expect but they heard good things about us lot! They are on route to Glasgow now! Hope they have fun on the rest of their UK/Europe tour.

Next time them make it over this part of the world they will make a return to the tunnels.

Photos of all the acts will be posted up as soon as my flatmate puts them on my computer!

yup- frank left my house a couple of hours ago - but not after giving me a copy of the forthcoming album. it sounds fucking awesome too.

great shows guys - i loved dufus and bought the album too. it was nice to see frank without being the promoter.

oh, and i still would of liked a million dead cover.

Aye, first time round starting with After the Rush Hour was ace. Shame he didn't play Sunshine State too.

Although, he did play Worse Things Happen At Sea, which, is ace and the new stuff is fookin' whaa.

Enjoy the night a lot, got Holy Folks to agree to play for me on the 11th of January at Drummonds, if they don't get a better offer, and yes, Dufus were a bit strange, I spoke to the girl in the toilets about how strange that double toilet cubicle is (what's with that?) and FatRB are a bit scary.

...but, yeah.

Looking forward to buying the album and seeing him in January. (Y)

Holy Folks - Can't believe how much they improve between gigs, almost got a perfect set of folk-pop songs already. Smashing!

FATRB - Without even trying to be funny they just are, the songs were a bit mushy through the pa but the entertainment factor compensated.

Dufus - Not my scene, and if one of your family was an r-tard you'd probably be offended. Just as they were getting alright, they finished. Drummer was cool to watch (was he really an r-tard? or just a phenomenal method actor?)

Turner - Had my doubts, didn't really like Million Dead but the guy was totally phenomenal. Top performance with little effort, sing-a-long-a-liscious.

Overall, 'twas a smashing gig, well worth seperating a few bucks for. Zogurt should sell their secret to all the shitey 'promo groups' kicking about. They got a decent number of people through the door and it was a good, varied bill (not just their mate's trendy bands).

obviously aint seen holy folks after a few drinks

Thats right..after a couple of drinks we'll fuck you up real good! bulletintheheadthenstickourcocksinthebullethole style

Zoghurt should sell their secret to all the shitey 'promo groups' kicking about.

there is no secret!

good bands & lots of hard work!

oh..and people willing to support their scene on a cold Monday night.

Myself and gavin are so pleased with everyone who has supported zoghurt and come to see the nights we organise.

see you at the next one?

Dufus were really fun, conjured up elements of acts as diverse as Primus, The Books and Sikth (crazy vocals ahoy!) while still keeping me entertained for most of the set apart from a slight dip around the middle.

Frank Turner was amazing. One of the most charismatic solo artists I've seen and one of the most impressive vocal performances I've seen for a long time. The four songs at the end I could have perhaps done without but ace choices of covers in Chris TT and The Lemonheads and amazing versions of his own songs blew me away. Thoroughly enjoyed!

Frank Turner was amazing. One of the most charismatic solo artists I've seen and one of the most impressive vocal performances I've seen for a long time. The four songs at the end I could have perhaps done without but ace choices of covers in Chris TT and The Lemonheads and amazing versions of his own songs blew me away. Thoroughly enjoyed!

that reminds me, i couldnt help thinking that Frank Turner seriously resembled yourself.

anyone else?